Project: Doitall Dodge

Scott39

Adventurer
I'm still running the stock 3.55s with the 38.5" true height tires.

I got an average of 18.X on the entire trip with a best of 21.2mpg and a worst of 17.4mpg.

In general if I drive under 63 I get 20+, if I drive 75-80 on the interstate I get in the 17-18 range.

I think the perfect gearing will be 3.73 gears with the 5-spd manual transmission. I will be changing the rear axle to a slightly wider 14-bolt GM axle when I get an opportunity. 4.10s would work just fine also at the expense of speed on the highway. When I was running 35s and 3.55s I felt like the truck needed more legs on the interstate. The big tires fixed that no problem :)

My engine is also basically stock, just an open element air cleaner and a 3" straight pipe. Living in colorado I REALLY need to install a smaller exhaust housing or change the turbo out. I have my eye out for a 04.5-06 he351cw Dodge turbo but haven't come across a good enough deal yet. That turbo should spool MUCH better and support all the power I can get out of the VE pump.

I like my 4:10s on the mtn passes here in Co. I also have a Gear Vendor overdrive in my truck, it was on the truck when I bought it.
I wouldn't want to run my truck without the OD and 35", 35" are still not tall enough for 4:10s. My OD is just like a 6pd. it really drops my rpms. And without any big load on my truck, I can run Loveland pass or any other passes at any speed I want using the OD.
I do plan on going with 38" tires when my 35" wear out.
I have my fuel plate all the way forward, and a after market air filter, the rest of the truck is stock.

Is it better to go with the turbo out of the newer Dodge's? I haven't read anything yet over on the Cummins forum's, not enough time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I wish I had more gears, but all in all the truck works really well for what I have invested. My IDEAL no money barred combo would be a G56 close ratio 6-speed mated to a 3:1 geared LoMax transfer case and 3.73 gears in the diffs with the 38.5" tall Michelins.

My budget plan is going to be to change the gearing to 3.73s and live with the 5-speed. I think I will be adding the 3200rpm governer spring to help cover the gap between gears and pick up more mid range power. I would also like to upgrade the turbo with a 12cm housing OR the 04.5-07 he351cw if I can find one. Down the road I would like to try a set of mild injectors, basically just to have matched and rebuilt injectors....not for more power....but a little more power would be nice :) I know one I start adding power I won't stop though!

I have to say though. I have been really impressed with this truck. Yes, you can find better bits and pieces on other trucks, but for an off the showroom combination of parts I don't think you can do better than the 91-93 dodge trucks. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a real workhorse.

justduck

Observer
I

Is it better to go with the turbo out of the newer Dodge's? I haven't read anything yet over on the Cummins forum's, not enough time.

Leave the stock turbo, go with larger injectors, 3000 RPM gov springs, a good fuel plate kit and the waste gate eliminator elbow. The change will blow your mind.

The stock gov springs start to reduce fueling at 2200 RPM, you can wind it to 3k, but it's like using half throttle to get there. With the 3k springs it's a whole new game. Same with the boost control elbow. At full throttle I am now running 32 lbs. of boost. I am using a pretty radical fuel plate (TST #5) and can get the EGT in the red zone pretty quickly, but by then I've blown by the moho that was grinding up the hill at 50mph. Don't do any of this without an EGT probe mounted in the exhaust manifold ( not after the turbo).

trailrunner

Observer
hey with regards to the paint, i think you should keep the old weather beaten look, leave the stickers on there, i just think that it gives the truck way more character, you always see trucks painted nice, but you rarely see a truck with true character. just my $.02

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very neat Metcalf catching up on this after a few months away.. Great build, psyched to see how it all comes out.. tndiesel.com does a rebuilt injector that is a mild upgrade that is awesome. Piers also has their Bosch 190s that gave me more power and mileage with my 4BT... Good luck with the turbo swap also and as you know its just a couple turns of some screws for a little more power...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the compliments. Its not done yet at all. I feel like I got stuck half way through! It does everything I ask though, and does it on a very small amount of money.

I hope I can get a front bumper with a winch together soon!

If it would only stop snowing in Colorado! :)

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Sweet build.
HAve you decided on paint yet ? How about Hemi Orange ? It wouuld stand out from the crowd..

DSC04481.JPG

Scott39

Adventurer
Very neat Metcalf catching up on this after a few months away.. Great build, psyched to see how it all comes out.. tndiesel.com does a rebuilt injector that is a mild upgrade that is awesome. Piers also has their Bosch 190s that gave me more power and mileage with my 4BT... Good luck with the turbo swap also and as you know its just a couple turns of some screws for a little more power...
Hyjack on. I would like to know more about the screw to turn up my 12bt on my 95'.
More info please.
Hyjack off.:sombrero:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
On a '95 it is a little different as you have a different pump. What I would say is look into a fuel plate. They install very easily and is your biggest power increase.. Injectors also can't hurt either but for a small increase usually stock injectors are just fine.. There is tons and tons of info out there on the 'net about it that is hopefully not too confusing...

Scott39

Adventurer
On a '95 it is a little different as you have a different pump. What I would say is look into a fuel plate. They install very easily and is your biggest power increase.. Injectors also can't hurt either but for a small increase usually stock injectors are just fine.. There is tons and tons of info out there on the 'net about it that is hopefully not too confusing...
Not confusing at all. I knew my pump was different, but wasn't sure if I could turn it up with the screw thingy.
I moved my fuel plate forward and that gave me some power, and then I put in a new air filter, and that was a bigger increase than the fuel plate.
I would like to make a lot more power down low, and try to keep some of my MPGs.
Ive seen lots of info over on the cummins board, but I think there is almost to much. I'm probably going to add 75 or above injectors, exhaust, and not much else.
Thanks a lot for the info.

DWitcher

Buy a #10 plate and some 3K rpm Gov'nr springs and you'll love that truck. I had a 95 (175hp) 5spd and those mods really woke it up.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dang it....stop talking about your fancy p-pump trucks in my thread! :) My truck is going to get jealous!

If you have a low horse p-pump talk to Garmon Diesel. They have a set of governer springs and big injectors that will BLOW YOUR MIND! The secret to p-pump trucks is tuning the AFC so that you don't get too much smoke down low. Tune it correctly with the right turbo and you can make BIG power with very little smoke. The mileage is great if you keep your foot out too.

Now....no more p-pump talk unless you want to come over and install a p-pump motor in my truck!

chasespeed

Explorer
HAHAHA, be happy with your rotary VE pump... they start easier, among other things..... so, you cant make HUGE power with one... big deal.... mine makes plenty of power, and I find myself wishing I had stock injectors, turbo, etc etc more often then not.....

In fact, I have entertained trading my truck, for a stock one, with a QCab....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman