Project Fauxverlander 200 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Stage Three Continues - Drawers

My buddy Dave is a fellow 200 Series owner and recently installed a set of Outback Drawers in his 200. He had actually purchased them along with a 100 Series fit kit for his UZJ100 but it went on to a new home before he mounted the drawers so he mounted them into the 200. At the time there wasn't a 200 specific fit kit here in the US so he used the already purchased 100 fit kit and cleanly modified it to fit the slightly different side profile of the 200. His install was super tidy but he was still curious about the 200 fit kit, just curious enough to help me install my drawers this evening. :cool:

Start to Finish

drawer_1.JPG

drawer_2.JPG

drawer_3.JPG

drawer_4.JPG

drawer_5.JPG

drawer_6.JPG

drawer_7.JPG

The install went pretty smooth. We've installed a handful of drawer kits in the shop and Dave did his not to long ago so most of it was pretty familiar to us. We varied a bit from the instructions. They have you assembled the two drawer frames outside of the vehicle and then install together. However not only are you dealing with a bulky frame, it's a VERY tight fit in the 200's and I found it easier to install on side with the bolts loosely started and then install the second. With both loosely fitted we can them mount them together and true them up. It worked perfectly and we had it finished up in just about 3 hours total including some vacuuming/cleaning before hand and some BS time through the middle. I've got a couple of things to work on back there yet to come including 12V/USB outlets and mounting/wiring the fridge. I need to spend some time laying out my electrical wants needs for the entire vehicle so I can knock it all out at once rather than have wires heading every direction twice. I'll save that for another day.

I've gone on and on about how much I've enjoyed the drawers in the 100 Series over the years, so I'll save you my diatribe tonight :D

Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
Stage Three Continues - Drawers

My buddy Dave is a fellow 200 Series owner and recently installed a set of Outback Drawers in his 200. He had actually purchased them along with a 100 Series fit kit for his UZJ100 but it went on to a new home before he mounted the drawers so he mounted them into the 100. At the time there wasn't a 200 specific fit kit here in the US so he used the already purchased 100 fit kit and cleanly modified it to fit the slightly different side profile of the 200. His install was super tidy but he was still curious about the 200 fit kit, just curious enough to help me install my drawers this evening. :cool:

Start to Finish

drawer_1.JPG

drawer_2.JPG

drawer_3.JPG

drawer_4.JPG

drawer_5.JPG

drawer_6.JPG

drawer_7.JPG

The install went pretty smooth. We've installed a handful of drawer kits in the shop and Dave did his not to long ago so most of it was pretty familiar to us. We varied a bit from the instructions. They have you assembled the two drawer frames outside of the vehicle and then install together. However not only are you dealing with a bulky frame, it's a VERY tight fit in the 200's and I found it easier to install on side with the bolts loosely started and then install the second. With both loosely fitted we can them mount them together and true them up. It worked perfectly and we had it finished up in just about 3 hours total including some vacuuming/cleaning before hand and some BS time through the middle. I've got a couple of things to work on back there yet to come including 12V/USB outlets and mounting/wiring the fridge. I need to spend some time laying out my electrical wants needs for the entire vehicle so I can knock it all out at once rather than have wires heading every direction twice. I'll save that for another day.

I've gone on and on about how much I've enjoyed the drawers in the 100 Series over the years, so I'll save you my diatribe tonight :D

That 200 fit kit looks like it was made for that truck.:sombrero: It was a very clean, quick install. Glad I could help.

cruiseroutfit

Yes, sorry.

I'll have to open another set and measure against the stock and say an Icon. Having assembled/installed a few they don't strike me as too thin, particularly given how thin the stock ones are with no failures I've seen. I can't say the same about stock upper and lower control arms, check out the bushing sleeves*

canguro_lcas (Small).jpg

*These are in the Canguro Race 200 and take a considerable amount of abuse, these were the result of the Vegas to Reno race, so appox. 750 race miles. We've not had any upper or lower front arms fail (that haven't hit a rock) in this fashion but we do generally destroy all of the front upper and lower control arm bushings each race. Our class mandates we run OE Toyota parts with original bushings so we just plan to swap them during race prep.

RobRed

Explorer
Kurt how do you deal with the constant failing drawer stop locks in the outback drawer system. I've needed 8 replacements in 2 years... I've got another broken one now.

For those not familiar these devices "lock" the outback drawers in the open position - they are constructed out of state of the art brittle plastic and are a pain to replace.

cruiseroutfit

Kurt how do you deal with the constant failing drawer stop locks in the outback drawer system. I've needed 8 replacements in 2 years... I've got another broken one now.

For those not familiar these devices "lock" the outback drawers in the open position - they are constructed out of state of the art brittle plastic and are a pain to replace.

I suppose I've been fortunate, I've had just one pair fail. It was swapped in a few minutes as it was on the RDRF side. We keep all the spares drawer parts here in stock but I've not noticed a big trend in stop replacement orders? There is some play in the available mounting of the stop and it is important to align it just right.

RobRed

Explorer
6 of 8 of the fails have been on the RDRF side. When I call ARB they're like "Yeah Yeah" and send me replacements no questions asked. But it's really a terrible design... I just wondered if you had come across something improved in your travels.

There is a guy out here in California who makes Trekboxx drawer systems... They are pretty awesome. If you haven't see them you should check them out.

Interested to see this 200 come together.

cruiseroutfit

6 of 8 of the fails have been on the RDRF side. When I call ARB they're like "Yeah Yeah" and send me replacements no questions asked. But it's really a terrible design... I just wondered if you had come across something improved in your travels...

Wow, that is an annoying amount of failures... I've got a dozen or so local customers running the drawers and many more out of town... I doubt we've sold more than 5 of the stop kits ever. How old are your drawers? I know the stops themselves and design are the same but I'm curious if some early box units had some different tolerances or dimensions where the stop locks causing more failures? Again my 100 Series drawers are 3 years old and get used quite a bit with a fair amount of load in each drawer, I've had just the one pair fail. I did have a handful of the side access panel clips fail. Early ones were plastic and broke pretty easy particularly when someone new was opening them and didn't realize they were not hinged at that end. After a few pairs of plastic clips failed they sent steel replacements, at the same time the production fit kits started using steel clips and had the much improved latch at the back, a slide latch versus the cumbersome screw style. I'm going to start looking at any of them that come in to see if they are broken and folks don't notice.

RobRed

Explorer
My drawers are about 2.5 years old.

I don't want to derail your build thread on this subject - just something I've been dealing with and wondered what you saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior