Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

CYi5

Explorer
Talk about trick license plate lighting...Build thread.

IMG_5325.jpg

G100

Adventurer
Cyi5, thanks for the link, just read the build and found another option.

Wish I had shop to work in like that, geez!:drool:

G100

Adventurer
Baja Trip

Here's a couple shots from my recent trip to the tip of Baja and back with the new bumper.

Cabo2010small-2.jpg

The Way Down . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bahia Concepcion

Cabo2010small-5.jpg
Cabo2010small-6.jpg

The Destination . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nueve Palmas

Cabo2010small-8.jpg

The Step

Cabo2010small-10.jpg

The Test

Cabo2010small-13.jpg

The Roads

Cabo2010small-9.jpg

The Reason

exploreFL

Observer
Dude I am soo jealous! I wanna be in Baja surfing a perfect wave! I am dealing with FL summer flat spells right now!! Might get a chance to head there next summer though!

Thanks for throwing in a pick of beautiful, glassy waves. It makes dealing with the east coast summer duldrums that much easier (in the most sarcastic tone the intrawebz can convey).

G100

Adventurer
Baja looks so nice. How's the temp this time of year ? ... cool trip and photos.

The temp varied a lot, the pacific side was perfect air temp when it wasn't cloudy, but the water was cold almost all the way down, the sea of cortez side up by Mulege was down right HOT, I don't think it dropped below 85 ever, made for a miserable night in the back of the truck, luckly only one. Futher down on the east cape it was fairly hot during the day,nice in the shade, but the temp would drop to a very comfortable level at night, and the water temp was about as perfect as you could ask for.

G100

Adventurer
Upgraded Suspension

Well at the end of the Baja trip I noticed a sound coming from my front drivers side shock. Can't imagine why, maybe it was the 250 miles of washboard dirt roads and for those of you who know Baja, I think the nail in the coffin was the north road out of Scorpian bay on the way back. The way back is always the worst cause you stop taking it easy and you're just trying to get to the border as fast a possible.
So after taking a look at it I realized my top bushing that holds the shock's piston rod was completely gone, so it was just moving around freely, probably making the hole larger everytime I hit a bump. While I was checking this out I noticed my sway arm end link bushing looked about as dry as a saltine cracker.
Shocks-2.jpg

So about $180 later:
Shocks-1.jpg

Bilsteins and Energy Suspension End-Links

When I pulled off my old ranchos (came with the car, who knows how old) I was expecting a little fight with some resistance . . . nope. I unscrewed the bolts, compressed them no problem and they stayed compressed, no return, now I'm no expert but sounds like they're shot to me. Not the case with the new ones, those Billys put up a fight, once compressed they're returning whether you like it or not. They actually raised my truck over a 1/2 inch.
Before & Afters
Shocks-3.jpg
Shocks-5.jpg

Shocks-4.jpg
Shocks-6.jpg

I'm loving the ride, the truck just feels tougher, well worth the $$.

red87

Adventurer
On that last pic, the steering stop on your LCA looks different than I expected. Is it factory or did you do something to it?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Driving out of 'Scorp on the northern route is indeed a nail biter at times. We hugged the marshes one trip and went maybe 20-30 miles over a thin layer of seawater. You couldn't see the actual road! The locals had placed sticks every 200 ft or so to mark the way. I'm awaiting the return of some neighbors who dragged a trailer from hell in there via the south route of course. They bought a couple of lots in the north side of town. I spoke to a guy yesterday at the beach who drove a 2wd F-150 loaded with bodies and beer in there via the north road at night no less. Stock air pressure and at night made it especially harrowing. After getting lost a million times,they somehow made it. Somebody was looking out for them. The surf was going off with the usual mob out,but they scored. Needless to say,they drove home via the south road.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I dragged the Yanmar diesel generator trailer that is now at Rice & Beans in San Ig. (or so I've been told) out over the north road. We came through the silt beds rather than the coast road. Trailer broke an axle spring at the big 'Y' out there near the bay. All that we could manage was 5 mph heading towards San Ig. Finally the owner came back for it with a bigger trailer and got it to R&B. I'm told that R&B bought it for emergency power.

G100

Adventurer
On that last pic, the steering stop on your LCA looks different than I expected. Is it factory or did you do something to it?

I am pretty positive that it is stock, I would definitely like to know if it isn't. What looks different to you?

red87

Adventurer
I am pretty positive that it is stock, I would definitely like to know if it isn't. What looks different to you?

My pickup doesn't have the extra bit of metal over it and I thought the two had identical front suspension. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78