Project WAR WAG

kfgk14

Adventurer
Stop building exactly what I'm gonna build, dude :p
Truck is coming along very nicely, look forward to seeing it complete.

Outback

Explorer
Stop building exactly what I'm gonna build, dude :p
Truck is coming along very nicely, look forward to seeing it complete.

The best thing about this truck is that I dont have a worry in the world about putting a scratch or dent in it. Its my dailey driver, when I home that is. I am still amazed at all the thumbs up and look she gets. This vehicle has given me a freedom I never had off road compared to a newer vehicle. That and she will just about out wheel any other vehicle made new or other wise. Sure there can be some suped up 4x4 that has a blower and 44" but it didnt cost them as little as 5k to 6K I have invested in what I have here now. That includes the cost of the vehicle and Registration. Hell that probrably covers my insurance payments as well. Im very happy with the truck. Thanks.

Last edited:

kfgk14

Adventurer
Did you re-center your H1 beadlocks, or run them as-is? If so, what backspacing did you run?
Thanks

Outback

Explorer
I ran my 12 bolts stock. I do have 2" spacers. Future plans are to install my Dually front hubs to eliminate the spacers. I will do that when I rebuild the front hubs and do the 35 spline stub shaft upgrade.

Outback

Explorer
As you all know I have BIG plans for my Rig as all of us do. To further help me see those plans come to bare I picked up a new air compressor yesterday. I found the Lowes 60 gallon single stage compressor with cast Iron head. Granted its not the Mother of all air compressors but she meets my needs. I can run all of my airtools with NO Problems and even run my HVLP paint guns without issues. Compared to my Craftsman 20 gallon compressor this will fill the need for my weekend projects. I will have it wired up and running sometime today. I also plan to braze up my own air manifold system. That will come later though.
Comp 1.jpgcomp 2.JPG

Last edited:
Just read through this build. Very well done, the m1008 is my dream truck and this is exactly how I've been wanting to build one. Now just gotta find one.

Outback

Explorer
Just read through this build. Very well done, the m1008 is my dream truck and this is exactly how I've been wanting to build one. Now just gotta find one.

Becareful. If it has any big dents in the side then they used a HUGE fork lift to lift the truck. This is how they organize vehicles up for auction it seems. When these Yahoos do that they bend the rear drive shaft and crack either the transcase (99% likley hood) and or the Transmission. Good luck and let me know if you pick one up.

Outback

Explorer
Last month I finished off part of my garage "upgrade" project. Still need to finish up the work bench and plumb in my air compressor manifold. Will post some pics. It will be nice to work in the finished garage / workshop.

Outback

Explorer
Not to much left to do. I should be home within the next week. Hope to pick up a few more items and complete the garage. I also have a complete Dana 60 Master Rebuild kit on her way. I want to replace all of the bearings and seals. I will also change out the axles to chromolly 35 spline. Currently it has a limited slip in her. I would like to upgrade to an OX locker (cable). High steer conversion as well. I hope to tackle that sometime within the next few months.

P5060002.jpgP5060004.jpgP5060008.jpgair compressor.jpgCompressor foot pad.jpgMopar Accents.jpg

Outback

Explorer
I just chunked down just under $1200 and ordered everything I need to upgrade and rebuild my King Pin Dana 60. I will open and inspect the differential. If everything looks good I will replace the diff cover with a HD unit and replace the gear lube with AmsOil gear lube. Of course that will be the last thing I do. First I will replace my stub 30 spline axles with a set of Yukon 35 spline chromoly units. All of the bearing and seals will also be replaced. The King Pins will be replaced (if needed) as well as there bearings ect. The axle U joints will be replaced with new Spicer Non Greaseable Units. I had wanted the greasable ones but was told the seals on these newer units are excellent and that the non greasable ones are stronger. The units in the axle now are Spicer non greasable and have survived the horrors of combat and the driving abilities of young men who did not care about the vehicle. These are 27 years old according to my vehicle Log Book. They are original. I believe I will be fine. If not I can replace them if needed. A set of Yukon Chromoly selectable hubs will finish up the rebuild. Most likely the original 30 spline stub axles would have been just fine for what we do. BUT I figured since Im going to be in the axle anyway I might as well upgrade for just a few hundred plus bucks. And of course a set of Stage 8 locking nuts as well. There are a few specialty tools that I will need. I will order these as I find them. NAPA should have some of them. I ordered everything from Off Road Design. I have actually pretty much ordered everything for my truck from them. That includes the 4" lift ect ect.. They have been pretty much a one stop shop. Steve and Denise have been exceptionally helpful. I will of course post lots of pictures of the rebuild/upgrade.

RussellZ

The folks at ORD are most excellent... I've met them all in person a few times and can't say enough good about them! They supplied a LOT of the stuff for my Tahoe build as well

Outback

Explorer
Most excellent indeed.

My wife called me and said two heavy packages arrived from ORD today! I hope to be home in the next few days to take a some pictures.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Well I made it home and was able to open up the boxes. Here is what was inside. Now to get this into the Dana 60.

Dana 60 Upgrade.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger