Project WAR WAG

Outback

Explorer
Well I disconnected my front swaybar and she now really flexs out! BUT I do need to trim my fenders. No big deal. I just arrived back to my area of operation and should be home in a month or two. I will post some pictures after some trimming. I will also be installing a swaybar disconnect kit. This will allow me to disconect the sway bar when I pull off the highway and to lock it out of the way. Disconnecting the sway bar is about the best thing you can do to keep both front tires firmly planted on the ground in Off Road conditions.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
YUP! Worse is now some brainiake has decided its a better idea to move all the trucks and Blazers with a giant fork lift! This bends the drive shafts and cracks the transfercases. It is really better to just buy them on Ebay since all those problems are usually fixed ect ect. I just looked and there is a really well built M1028 like mine all fixed up with a twin stick NP205 ect ect.

Thanks! I found one on Ebay. but it was 7,500....oh well. I have seen quite few of these, but they all say the same thing. I would pick one up if it was just a driveshaft to replace. I'll keep searching.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
Its hard to say for certain. It could just be a drives shaft but expect a cracked Transfercase as well. That also isnt so bad since you can find them pretty cheap these days. But you should really plan to tow it on a flat bed trailer home. If you find one drop me a PM and I would be happy to tell you everything to look out for.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Its hard to say for certain. It could just be a drives shaft but expect a cracked Transfercase as well. That also isnt so bad since you can find them pretty cheap these days. But you should really plan to tow it on a flat bed trailer home. If you find one drop me a PM and I would be happy to tell you everything to look out for.

I really appreciate it! I'll keep you posted. I was more looking to get something I can just make a daily driver to check surf and get to school while fixing it up as I go. We'll see what I find.

Outback

Explorer
I have been back in the field for a week now and Im already chomping at the bit to get back and work on the truck. I ordered a Off Road Designs Sway Bar Disconnect kit. This will allow me to run my sway bar connected while I am running pavement and then quickly disconnect the sway bar and lock it out of the way for those off highway adventures. I can tell you that since I have disconnected the sway bar (completely removed right now) that the front axle is now free to follow the contures of the terrain and the cab keeps pretty nice and level. Disconnecting the sway bar is one of the best things you can do to help keep the front tires firmly plated on terra firma and keep you going forward in an Off Road situation. It also helps the people out in the cabin from being thrown side to side when you go over an off camber drop on the trail. I also ordered from O.R.D. a steering stabilizer as the stock one is there only for looks right now. Its 26 years old and is completely and utterly shot, worn out, dead, bit the dust a long time ago. The funny thing is, is that I can't tell its not working. The new O.R.D. suspension and the new tires have really smoothed out the ride so much so its like driving a new truck. I will let you know if the steering stabilizer has any effects on the suspension feel. I am sure off road it will help soak up some of the bigger hits like rocks and pot holes. After I return home and install everything I plan on hitting the desert for a few days. I will shoot some video for you as well. Cannot wait to get home.

Mike

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
love the truck outback!

i take that since you are getting the ord swaybar disconnects you are not doing crossover steering?

Outback

Explorer
love the truck outback!

i take that since you are getting the ord swaybar disconnects you are not doing crossover steering?

I will be doing the cross over steering but that will be sometime down the trail. Not sure when. Maybe next year or so? So far I havent had any issues with the stock steering box. But then again I havent really had her crossed up on some extreme trail. This vehicle will primarily be used as a desert expedition vehicle. I plan on installing my OLD Chevy Caravan Camper Shell and throw a bed and some storage units in the back. I do plan on adding two more fuel tanks ( 20 and 30 gallon tanks) as well as a large water storage tank. I should have about 75 gallons of fuel on hand. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Outback

Explorer
The wife called and said a bunch of boxes arrived for me today.:sombrero: Its always nice when I go home since there seems to be a few new boxes of "Upgrades" waiting for me in the garage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman