Project "X-Max", Off-Road Expedition Style - The Ultimate Adventure Duramax

ExpoMike

Cool pics. Great to see your boy riding without the "training" wheels.

Looks like a good shock setup, similar to Bilstein. I am bias to Bilstein's but those Fox shocks look like they should do well.

Keep up with the pics. :)

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Thanks! I have 2 older daughters (7yo and 13yo) that are involved in out door activities including quads and dirt bikes but my lil man is a blast. If your lil guy is into it I highly suggest getting him something. Really any sport you can see your child enjoy is well worth going the extra mile to help them excel in. How old is your son?

He is 8, I am looking for a 50 quad to start him on. Kids are a blast, this winter will be learning to snowboard. :victory: Those shocks are awesome!

Nick.V70

This project got put on hold due to a couple reasons, 1 I have my hands full with our SEMA trucks and 2 I am dialing in the suspension package to be used on this truck and that may change the style alittle but still staying within the concept for the most part and the 3rd reason will be announced in the next few weeks. All good stuff happening but I am 1 man and only have so much time during the day before I have my family to spend time with so I am just stretching it out and not jumping too fast because I want a very nicely built and thought out rig to use in the end.

I will add updates as I have them, this project is not dead by any means.....

Nick

Nick.V70

Here is the reason I put this build on hold for a few months, I picked up a 2012 Dually :ylsmoke: , I really needed a second truck to pull my toy hauler and just could not take it anymore without a dually for hauling.

IMG_6392__zpsf38e8271.jpg

But now I am back on Project X-MAX and if all goes to plan the new suspension I have been looking at running will be in my hands within the next couple weeks and the truck will be torn down shortly after....I'm getting excited!!!

Nick

Nick.V70

A simple web-search returns any number of expedition-style roof-top tents... here is just one of the links that I found: http://expeditionoffroad.com/camping_equipment/awnings_roof_top_tents

NP, Nick...I'm just looking forward to seeing the build!

I took a look and some *****'n set ups, thanks man for hooking that info/link up!

He is 8, I am looking for a 50 quad to start him on. Kids are a blast, this winter will be learning to snowboard. :victory: Those shocks are awesome!

If he is 8 I'd look at a Polaris 50 or might even a 90cc, that was what i had my girls on and they are great and super low maintenance.

I took my son out a couple weeks ago and he now is riding with no training wheels:bike_rider::bike_rider: so now I am really pumped to get this build going and finished so I can take off on some :bike_rider: with him!!

Here he crash's and takes it like a champ :)

We love pics, make sure to show up those SEMA trucks!!! Glad to hear you are finding success!

I took hundreds of pics and posted a ton on my Face Book, I can post a link if you want to check it out.

I have one suggestion. PLEASE HURRY UP AND FINISH!! This build plan is just plain awesome!

As much as it stressed me out to re-think a lot around this build I am very happy I was able to pull off a second truck so I have everything covered and now I can for the most part take this build as far and use it as hard as I can. I really don't want to build something half *** and then not use it fully. Once the suspension shows up I think things will be in perspective :Wow1:

Those look pretty nice, if anything I will be running some Cognito Alloy tie rods, I already have the Cognito Steering Braces on the truck and that keeps the center link from walking back and forth.

Nick.V70

OK call me crazy, but I am starting to see interest in maybe going with a service bed. It may give me plenty of storage space and a good base to build a rack off the top to install a roof tent.

Thoughts?

oughtsix

Getting rid of the independant front suspension in favor of a solid axle would be high my priority list if I was building a Chevy/GMC for off road duties. Having had to tow snapped tierod trucks is wearing thin.

Just replace the tie rods with some aftermarket rods from rare parts or kryptonite.

My cap doesn't have the side access... I really wish it did! I have read that the caps with the replacement full height rear doors are not nearly as strong as the stock tailgate so you have to be much more careful about heavy items rolling around in the back of the rig.

Service body???? Why not just get a flat bed with boxes underneath then you have a nice platform to build whatever you want on top?

Last edited:

uscg2008

Explorer
Def cool ideas for the set up. I want to the same thing but with a 1500. I want one of those utility caps with a roof rack on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179