Pugsly's FG rebuild thread

dlh62c

Explorer
I use a cheapie eBay torque multiplier (which has been totally disassembled and repacked with molybond grease) to get the nuts loose and a 4 foot long Precision Instruments torque wrench for doing them up.

+1
YouTube has plenty of videos on torque multipliers being used.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
YouTube has plenty of videos on torque multipliers being used.
My torque multiplier is similar to the one in that video and cost me $30. I don't know how they would go on nuts that are really stuck, but I have used it on my wheel nuts and it works quite well. In fact, with this tool, even the missus can easily undo the wheel nuts, which definitely says something.
Mind you... I also have a 4 foot breaker bar, just in case this tool craps itself.

westyss

Explorer
View attachment 173370

It better be a big damn breaker bar. This is what I was using, later with a crowbar in the open end to get an extra 2 feet of leverage. Was enough to break the lugs holding the outer wheel but not enough for the inner wheel... Still trying to figure that one out.

...and not that it matters a whole lot, but the 36" ratchet in the picture was just rebuilt by me (not a single use harbor freight item), $350 of Snap-On goodness...

Just a couple of things I would do different from the picture shown if you dont mind a critique, using a breaker bar would be a much better idea than using a real expensive ratchet, the ratchet is not designed for the forces required to break loose the lugs. And maybe a 1" bar as opposed to a 3/4" bar, my 3/4" bar bends way too much for comfort for me. Also go for at least a four foot bar getting more leverage.
And I see you are using wood block to support the extension which is a really good idea but I find an adjustable jack stand to work much better, easily adjust to different hieghts and has a circular indentation where the extension snuggly fits into.

After a few tire rotates I have found using my full weight at a particular distance from the lug I can get within 25-30 ft/lb's from the required 360ft/lb's needed and I have marked it out on my breaker bar, mostly because I am too cheap to buy a torque wrench. That also assumes I dont gain more weight?? I feel that I have to limit the amount of stuff I take with me so choose to do it this way, I did place an order for a gas powered rattle gun like shown but they had sold out so didnt get it, but then its a big thing to lug around.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just a couple of things I would do different from the picture shown if you dont mind a critique, using a breaker bar would be a much better idea than using a real expensive ratchet, the ratchet is not designed for the forces required to break loose the lugs. And maybe a 1" bar as opposed to a 3/4" bar, my 3/4" bar bends way too much for comfort for me. Also go for at least a four foot bar getting more leverage.
And I see you are using wood block to support the extension which is a really good idea but I find an adjustable jack stand to work much better, easily adjust to different hieghts and has a circular indentation where the extension snuggly fits into.

After a few tire rotates I have found using my full weight at a particular distance from the lug I can get within 25-30 ft/lb's from the required 360ft/lb's needed and I have marked it out on my breaker bar, mostly because I am too cheap to buy a torque wrench. That also assumes I dont gain more weight?? I feel that I have to limit the amount of stuff I take with me so choose to do it this way, I did place an order for a gas powered rattle gun like shown but they had sold out so didnt get it, but then its a big thing to lug around.

I'm hoping that once I get these nuts busted loose I don't have to go through this again - so I'm looking to borrow some tools rather than buy a breaker bar. I agree that it flexes a crazy amount right now!

I've also ordered the lug-nut indicators, looking forward to having that visual reference in place.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'm hoping that once I get these nuts busted loose I don't have to go through this again - so I'm looking to borrow some tools rather than buy a breaker bar. I agree that it flexes a crazy amount right now!

Have you thought about going to a tire shop that has a 'Big Bertha' impact gun?
I'd bet for a $10 tip they would bust 12 nuts loose for you.

pugslyyy

Have you thought about going to a tire shop that has a 'Big Bertha' impact gun?
I'd bet for a $10 tip they would bust 12 nuts loose for you.

Yeah that's plan B if I can't get them loosened up. I have a bunch of other stuff taken apart right now that makes moving the truck impractical.

I did get the CB working and headliner reinstalled in the cab today, still waiting on a few more parts to get the overhead console back in. PITA, had to replace the antenna cable which meant dropping the headliner and opening up a bunch of split-loom, but the job is done right and everything is buttoned back up.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So I am curious about your lug nut indicators. Do you have a link? My lug nut indicator was made by sharpie.

Just paint a line on the wheel and up the lug nut. If it spins you will know. A bit of rubbing alcohole and some elbow greese and you can clean that off of the wheel next time, then put the nut on, draw a new line... etc. Even works out in the middle of a desert. The cool thing is batteries are included in the sharpie model. ;)

Seriously though, why not just use paint or marker to indicate it. What is the value of the indicators?

You said you bought another fuso within four days, what do you plan to do with that one? Same same, or something different?

Love the truck, love the stories, looking forward to more more more!

Oh and would you show us some inteiror photos as well? Just like to get the complete picture.

pugslyyy

So I am curious about your lug nut indicators. Do you have a link? My lug nut indicator was made by sharpie.

I ordered the Torque-Tight, http://torque-tight.com/

337df21fdb66632143e6fc12c94f51e0.png

Just paint a line on the wheel and up the lug nut. If it spins you will know. A bit of rubbing alcohole and some elbow greese and you can clean that off of the wheel next time, then put the nut on, draw a new line... etc. Even works out in the middle of a desert. The cool thing is batteries are included in the sharpie model. ;)

Seriously though, why not just use paint or marker to indicate it. What is the value of the indicators?
I like being able to do a quick visual check whenever I do a walk around, and these are easily repositioned/reused. More and more truck fleets are using them.

You said you bought another fuso within four days, what do you plan to do with that one? Same same, or something different?
It's a 4x2 crew cab that we are converting to 4x4. It is going to be a lighter weight vehicle that will handle a bit more aggressive terrain.

Love the truck, love the stories, looking forward to more more more!

Oh and would you show us some inteiror photos as well? Just like to get the complete picture.

Interior is coming along. Looks like a bomb went off in the cab and the camper right now, wall/roof pieces down and wires hanging all over the place. As things get tidied up I will post.

pugslyyy

I've been working on mounting a light weight winch in the BEV 'garage' to assist with loading motorcycles, etc.

B0015D4ZH0.01.lg.jpg

My plan was to have pictures of the install to show tonight. Instead, I took one look at the final install and decided to rip it all out and do it again, differently. On to version 2.0!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am sure you have your reasons, but I would have used a winch with synthetic rope, not wire.
Much easier to work with, in my opinion.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Awesome,

Thanks a lot for the photo of the indicators. I can see how that would be pretty easy to notice at a glance, of even less than a glance. If you are a person not in the practice of checking that stuff often, then it would stand out easier than might paint line. I always check that every day on my commercial vehicles, and I never check it on my personal ones.

Also the winch, very cool. We have a winch in our ambulances. The thing is on a cross bar slider on the roof so we can slide it out and winch the person up into the MaxPro, and then once he is in we can use the winch to pick the streacher up and the slider to slide him into the rack. I could try to find a photo if you would like. But this might make it easier to load multiple bikes from one winch, and it could be slid out of the way when you are climbing up inside it yourself. Not sure you care, but I felt like going on and on... lol

Thanks again for sharing your rebuild. Very cool stuff you have there!

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I ordered the Torque-Tight, http://torque-tight.com/

337df21fdb66632143e6fc12c94f51e0.png

I like being able to do a quick visual check whenever I do a walk around, and these are easily repositioned/reused. More and more truck fleets are using them.

I certainly like the idea of the indicators but I 'm certain they won't be there on the front wheels after the first mud hole so I'll stick with using the tyre wrench to check the wheel nuts when we are in bush. Good for road work as they are real easy to see.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12