Pugsly's FG rebuild thread

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
:) It adds a bit of bling to it doesn't it. lol They certainly seem like they would be easy to spot out of place. (they also look like my little kids would be picking at them if I ever used them, haha.) Let us know if you like them will you please.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
:) It adds a bit of bling to it doesn't it. lol They certainly seem like they would be easy to spot out of place. (they also look like my little kids would be picking at them if I ever used them, haha.) Let us know if you like them will you please.

I will - so far so good, and at under $30 not the biggest gamble I've taken on truck gear (by a long shot) :)

dhackney

Expedition Leader
the 36" ratchet in the picture was just rebuilt by me ... $350 of Snap-On goodness...

Jeez Jon, that's the biggest single secret of the entire Hackney Fuso Technicolor Epic Saga of Spending.

That secret was more closely held than the actual rolling weight.

What happens when Steph gets on ExPo and finds out what I spent on that Snap-On Ratchet of the Gods?

But now, there it is, in undeniable Black and White, that which had, up to now, ranked right up there with He Who Shall Not Be Named.

It was, without exception, the Tool That Shall Not Be Priced.

Although I had plenty of opportunities to demonstrate its use to her along various Chicken Bus roads and two-tracks, thus, in some small way, laying the foundation for rationalizing its preciousness, I am not confident that I achieved meaningful price-fallout mitigation.

Therefore, I will henceforth be in the Fed's Witness Protection Program, probably unreachable and offline...

:)

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
So, what does it weigh? Doug Hackney never would say........

I take exception to this assertion.

I never hesitated to say that the Fuso weighed more than a breadbox and less than a 747.

Jon, this could be an opportunity to raise some money for a good cause, say, for instance, Jay and Alice's "Do Good As You Go" overlanding volunteer organization.

People could buy a guess of the total wet weight for $X and the closest guess would win 50% of the total donations with the balance going to the charity.

Or something.

I mean, something that's legal. Of course. In all 50 states.

Or, you could license and title the Fuso in Barbados or somewhere and then it wouldn't matter.

Would it?

Anyway, this is a once-in-a-lifetime-of-ExPo chance to definitively answer the burning question: What percentage of the known universe's mass does the post-fixed-and-modded Hackney Fuso represent?

Or not...

;)

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Jeez Jon, that's the biggest single secret of the entire Hackney Fuso Technicolor Epic Saga of Spending.

That secret was more closely held than the actual rolling weight.

What happens when Steph gets on ExPo and finds out what I spent on that Snap-On Ratchet of the Gods?

But now, there it is, in undeniable Black and White, that which had, up to now, ranked right up there with He Who Shall Not Be Named.

It was, without exception, the Tool That Shall Not Be Priced.

Although I had plenty of opportunities to demonstrate its use to her along various Chicken Bus roads and two-tracks, thus, in some small way, laying the foundation for rationalizing its preciousness, I am not confident that I achieved meaningful price-fallout mitigation.

Therefore, I will henceforth be in the Fed's Witness Protection Program, probably unreachable and offline...

I'm pretty sure that secret is already out! :)

image061.jpg

pugslyyy

Hmmm, yes, you could very well be correct.

It was silly to think that receipt could slip by an über organizer like Steph.

I should have set up a shell company in Toolistan and routed the funds through Ratchetopolis...

Better yet, own a garage with GL accounts like 'shop tools - consumable', 'parts - cogs' and 'shop supplies' :)

12husky

Adventurer
With lug nuts that have been put on that tight, would it be wise to replace the studs? Seems they may have been compromised with the over-torquing.

pugslyyy

With lug nuts that have been put on that tight, would it be wise to replace the studs? Seems they may have been compromised with the over-torquing.

Nah, something like head bolts (the ones that stretch) sure. When I was in the Army we had aviation nuts that were single use as well.

As long as the stud is still there and intact you are good to go, they are going to break or strip not deform.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am not so sure I would fuss with the trimming of the front end...
I had my SRW conversion done by ATW and part of that conversion involved trimming the front guards.
I expect that they used a bandsaw or a jigsaw to give a bit more clearance to the front of the guard. A really simple modification and one that definitely beats the possibility hitting the wheel on the guard and damaging it.

pugslyyy

I had my SRW conversion done by ATW and part of that conversion involved trimming the front guards.
I expect that they used a bandsaw or a jigsaw to give a bit more clearance to the front of the guard. A really simple modification and one that definitely beats the possibility hitting the wheel on the guard and damaging it.

I wish I had a bandsaw to do it - I'll be using a jigsaw.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I suspect that the ratchet still cost less than the toilet seat. ;)

In the meantime, it is good to see you are getting the truck back together and I hope to see it in person soon.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Fred. .....

Jigsaw???? Have you got a diamond wheel for a 4" or 5" grinder? They work great on the Fuso plastic.... Same type of wheel a tiler would use. If you're still planning to use a jigsaw then a diamond blade rather than a toothed blade would be good. Put masking tape on the surface of the gaurd and the base of the jigsaw so you don't scratch it up too much.

pugslyyy

Hi Fred. .....

Jigsaw???? Have you got a diamond wheel for a 4" or 5" grinder? They work great on the Fuso plastic.... Same type of wheel a tiler would use. If you're still planning to use a jigsaw then a diamond blade rather than a toothed blade would be good. Put masking tape on the surface of the gaurd and the base of the jigsaw so you don't scratch it up too much.

Thanks I'll def use a tile blade thanks for the hint. I have a grinder but I think I'll be steadier with the saw instead of freehanding it with a grinder.

Hmm, I also have a rotozip maybe I'll think about using it with an appropriate bit...

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I will second using the grinder.

But a good alternative would be a Dremel Saw Max. I have not used one, but I have thought it would be good for this sort of thing.

That being said, I have been known to use tools in less than ideal conditions. Sometimes it is best to just use what you have on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger