Pull Pal or Hi-Lift?

Kohburn

Adventurer
you have a 12k winch already - so anything that you would use a pullpal for would be short pulls most likely to the side for stability... the hilift can be used for that same function.

it sounds to me like for what you want to do the hilift can do what the pullpal can do, bu the pull pal can't do what the hilift can

craig333

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I've been in many situations where a bottle jack just can't be used do to rocks, mud, snow etc, where the hilift can still be used. Last time I was in the snow. Would have taken a lot of digging, laying the snow, to use a bottle jack. Now admittedly the Jeep has a lot more jacking points than most vehicles. Last time I changed my truck tire I used the bottle jack. Its good to have both options.

29centTaco

Observer
Unfortunately I've been in many situations where a bottle jack just can't be used do to rocks, mud, snow etc, where the hilift can still be used. Last time I was in the snow. Would have taken a lot of digging, laying the snow, to use a bottle jack. Now admittedly the Jeep has a lot more jacking points than most vehicles. Last time I changed my truck tire I used the bottle jack. Its good to have both options.

Good point, you really don't want to be using your Hilift to change your tire. Unless you're in one of those places craig just mentioned and there's no alternative.

craig333

Expedition Leader
And of course keep dogs, children and stupid people away anytime a hilift is in use. Smart people will stay well away by themselves.

Gooseberry

Explorer
Well I could have used my pull pal today. I drive down by the water and hit a bog section with a foot of sand on it.

The highlift with two 2x6x24 and big base on it and just sank.

I pulled cable and had to pull a few boulders loose to get back on sand. The pull pal would have saved be a bunch of digging.

By the way it was not even that close to the water.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372992004.370498.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990127.417406.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990127.417406.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 440
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990260.633525.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990260.633525.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 437

stevo

Observer
Pull Pal or Hi-lift?

Howdy,
Just thought I'd put in my $.02 worth. In my "EDC" toolbox (among other things) I carry a 12oz. ballpein hammer and a 2lb. sledge. Now, I don't always use them when I go out, but the peace of mind they afford me is well worth the inconvience they carry with them. Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to acquire two Hi-lift jacks, a 60" which I carry all of the time, and a 48" which I keep at home. At this point in time I can't afford a PullPal/ winch/ mounting system for my vehicle. My "off-road" veicle is a 1975 Pinzgauer and just about everything must be custom made for it. (For example:It's neither easy nor inexpensive to find a GOOD 24v. winch). Be that as it may, if at all possible, I would opt for the both of them. After over 20+ years of off-roading with many different vehicles, all's I can say is that I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. There have been times when the winch was the best tool for the job, and there have been times when the jack was the best tool for the job. But then again, I carry two spare tires and an extra 20 gal. of gas every time I go out.

Cheere, Stevo:)

=

'
'

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Well I could have used my pull pal today. I drive down by the water and hit a bog section with a foot of sand on it.

The highlift with two 2x6x24 and big base on it and just sank.

I pulled cable and had to pull a few boulders loose to get back on sand. The pull pal would have saved be a bunch of digging.

By the way it was not even that close to the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there done that! Glad you were able to get unstuck!

Gooseberry

Explorer
Before you could see the aftermath but this is what it looked like stuck. Pretty sure the pull pall would have been a no issue day but would have gone deep

ynemu2e8.jpg
2ude7u7a.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Sweet, well done!

People always ask why I carry so much crap, and there's proof of "why do you need another 150' of extensions?" I suspect you are even heavier than I am in the Power Wagon at 8K daily driving weight. Big trucks go south a lot faster!

And that's also why I have a 14K PulPal in the truck. A farmers jack is a great tool, and I have one in the truck too. I see comments about living where trees are plentiful, but if Murph has anything to say about it, and logic dictates it, you'll get stuck in a road that crosses a meadow when thing get soft after the winter's thaw. Then what? I see the aftermath of that every spring - floor mats, carpet, tree branches, even stuff like cooler lids and aluminum tool box lids sticking out at odd angles from the bog.

Biggest draw back of a Pul Pal is storage, but with a little thought, it's doable. Mine is stored as separate pieces - I tried the bag, and found it too bulky.

Kohburn

Adventurer
Ummm, no. Two entirely different animals here.

had a come along in my head instead of a land anchor for some reason.

but that got me thinking about making an anchor base that could attach to a highlift.

looks like someone has already done it

Stinger_Ground_Anchor.jpg

Carl

Observer
PullPal and Hi-Lift

I see the list of possible recovery "tools" as each having their own strengths and in various conditions one may be better than another. In the situation here, stuck in soft sand, low air pressure and a set of Maxtrax would have been ideal. No need to unspool winch line or use an anchor. That said, I carry both a PullPal and Hi-Lift, have a winch, and have used them all in various situations. Certainly the safe storage and weight constraints could alter what you carry depending on your vehicle.

carl
www.xtrememobileadventures.com

Gooseberry

Explorer
Yes a set of max tracks would have been great because I would have been off them before they sunk in the underlying muck. I tried to use the hilift and was able to sink a 24 x 12 inch foot print before I could even lift the van

I see the list of possible recovery "tools" as each having their own strengths and in various conditions one may be better than another. In the situation here, stuck in soft sand, low air pressure and a set of Maxtrax would have been ideal. No need to unspool winch line or use an anchor. That said, I carry both a PullPal and Hi-Lift, have a winch, and have used them all in various situations. Certainly the safe storage and weight constraints could alter what you carry depending on your vehicle.

carl
www.xtrememobileadventures.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998