Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

McBride

Adventurer
you can swap the injection pump of your 602 and use the one of a 662 engine( korando) ..is the same engine but all mechanical....i have these set up in my w460 300gd.

Spallet,

Thanks.

Do you have some pics of your G and engine? I'd love to see it.

William

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I guess my point is that while I'm not going to seek out the overly extreme conditions for sport, some times they find you and one feels less exposed and has more options if reasonably well prepared (being in a comfy, capable G Wagen camper with lots of food and vodka).

That is what I'm loving about this overland vehicle thing.

I hear you on this! When exploring, you never know what you'll face or run into, which makes finding the "best" overlanding vehicle for all conditions/situations a challenge.
But this is also what makes adventure fun--because it's an adventure!

McBride

Adventurer
Dash is W461, but you mention your G has 3 locking diffs?? W460's had only front and rear locking diffs. Are there 2 "plungers" to the right of the driver seat, aft of the e-brake handle?
I'm just curious to know what compilation of parts your amazing camperwagen has.
Is the chassis/frame a W460 or W461 number?

There are 2 plungers in the location you mention for the front and rear diffs.

The center is controlled by the S, SA, GA shifter.

The Auto shifter has the really low gear, all of the way down and to the right.

There is only one VIN on the vehicle and it is a 460.

William

I don't know enough about the different models to know all of the differences. Any knowledge you can share would be great.

McBride

Adventurer
Wow, lucky you William!! I had drooled over it on Europa forever, then ebay, but the gremlins scared me away. So very happy to hear it was straightforward to get it back on the road. Odd that the doctor didn't just have the pump replaced in the first place.

The story is funny. My wife found it on Ebay and forwarded it to me while I was working. She wanted something to take into town for shopping; take the dogs, have a snack, have a place to pee.

I looked at it on Ebay, talked to the seller and made my decision. I called her and told her to "Buy it Now". She was like, are you serious? I said yes so she did it. She's very cool - only driven it once - the dogs didn't like it.

So far it has proven to be a good move.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There are 2 plungers in the location you mention for the front and rear diffs.

The center is controlled by the S, SA, GA shifter.

The Auto shifter has the really low gear, all of the way down and to the right.

There is only one VIN on the vehicle and it is a 460.

William

I don't know enough about the different models to know all of the differences. Any knowledge you can share would be great.

Hi William,

Ok, so you have both a front and rear hydraulic locker(locking differential). These are the 2 plungers.
The S/SA/GA shifter is the transfer case, which puts the vehicle into 4WD(your truck is part time 4WD). 2WD (S - Strasse = street) or 4WD high (SA - Strasse Allrad = street 4WD) or 4WD low (GA - Gelände Allrad = off-road 4WD).
Harald's info explains it well here; http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/engage.html
This part time 4WD with 2 lockers is a terrific system. Make sure to use your lockers(off-pavement only) regularly to make sure they stay "fit." When I bought my first G('80 300GD), the f/r lockers were gummed up so we had to flush/bleed them, and then they locked up very quickly.

Continue to have fun!!
-Jeremy

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The story is funny. My wife found it on Ebay and forwarded it to me while I was working. She wanted something to take into town for shopping; take the dogs, have a snack, have a place to pee.

I looked at it on Ebay, talked to the seller and made my decision. I called her and told her to "Buy it Now". She was like, are you serious? I said yes so she did it. She's very cool - only driven it once - the dogs didn't like it.

So far it has proven to be a good move.

Hehe, spontaneous = fantastic! Glad to hear it's worked out so well.
Looking forward to meeting you at Overland Expo '14.

McBride

Adventurer
Good for you to have scored such an incredible vehicle, and to use it as it was intended. I've enjoyed looking at your pics and dreaming of a trip out there. I'am also glad to see Joaquin Suave has found this thread. He is an invaluable source. I look forward to more of your postings.

Thanks Scramfan01.

For months I perused this site, learning, looking at amazing vehicles, reading of adventures, seeing the diversity of opinions on everything from A to Z. Great stuff.

Mostly I loved the pics. I'll try and post a good amount.

McBride

Adventurer
Hehe, spontaneous = fantastic! Glad to hear it's worked out so well.
Looking forward to meeting you at Overland Expo '14.

Indeed. I knew that it must have cost a fortune to build and the Buy it Now price was a bargain, even if it needed some work.

Likewise at the expo. I can't wait to see you vehicle in person.

McBride

Adventurer
Hi William,

Ok, so you have both a front and rear hydraulic locker(locking differential). These are the 2 plungers.
The S/SA/GA shifter is the transfer case, which puts the vehicle into 4WD(your truck is part time 4WD). 2WD (S - Strasse = street) or 4WD high (SA - Strasse Allrad = street 4WD) or 4WD low (GA - Gelände Allrad = off-road 4WD).
Harald's info explains it well here; http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/engage.html
This part time 4WD with 2 lockers is a terrific system. Make sure to use your lockers(off-pavement only) regularly to make sure they stay "fit." When I bought my first G('80 300GD), the f/r lockers were gummed up so we had to flush/bleed them, and then they locked up very quickly.

Continue to have fun!!
-Jeremy

Jeremy,

Many thanks.

I bought a pressure bleeder and flushed all the fluid when I first got it. Also changed every other filter and fluid on the vehicle right away. I read Harald's article. That is how I figured out how to use the system. That guy is super knowledgeable.

I exercise both the lockers and the transfer case regularly (I live at the end of a 9 mile dirt road with frequent opportunities for water crossings and deep mud).

William

Capo

Happy Camper
Capo,

Deal. We'll have to meet in Magadan. That seems to be a good halfway point. Although your half would be much more fun! You could sail me back to Alaska in your Viking boat! Now that would be and adventure. Overland, Oversea.

William

I'd have to wait for the completion of my full size Viking ship for that as my current Viking boat is really small. I only had the small boat built to learn the square sail long boat sailing techniques and to prepare me for the full size version due delivery in 2018.

chris505

Observer
Thanks!

Good stuff to know.

Do the 1x3 tubes lay flat or are they on edge?...

...Bring your camping gear when you come out. I'd love to go see some of the mining roads you mentioned, if you think my camper will make it.

...So what sort of fabrication/modification services do you do? I'd love to see some pics.

The 1x3 tubes are on edge.

The plan is to be in the back country as much as possible when I return to NM. I can get gate keys to drive up to the top of the Sangre de Cristos on some great old mining roads but our nice body panels would surely be shredded by the overgrowth, I can also gain access into abandoned pueblo land roads behind Buddaghers (Dad had another airstrip project back there). Otherwise Mora, Pecos, Roe Mesa, Labajada/Caja Del Rio/Diablo Canyon, and Bland Canyon are all old haunts Im eager to return to, I also want to drive up the Rio Puerco from Rio Rancho to Chaco Canyon if the ever multiplying miles of barbed wire permit it, lots of Anasazi 'watch towers' out there I would like to check out. Have you ever seen the 'watch tower' near your house? Basically overlooking the ruins of Dolores.

I have been providing the G community with my expertise in rebuilding/servicing G axles and performing G engine/transmission upgrades, if you search http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/ for posts from "Chris", you should see some pics I have posted from past projects.
Im currently setting up a metal shop in my new place so expect to see pictures and offroad protection and storage products for the G in the coming months.

McBride

Adventurer

The plan is to be in the back country as much as possible when I return to NM. I can get gate keys to drive up to the top of the Sangre de Cristos on some great old mining roads but our nice body panels would surely be shredded by the overgrowth, I can also gain access into abandoned pueblo land roads behind Buddaghers (Dad had another airstrip project back there). Otherwise Mora, Pecos, Roe Mesa, Labajada/Caja Del Rio/Diablo Canyon, and Bland Canyon are all old haunts Im eager to return to, I also want to drive up the Rio Puerco from Rio Rancho to Chaco Canyon if the ever multiplying miles of barbed wire permit it, lots of Anasazi 'watch towers' out there I would like to check out. Have you ever seen the 'watch tower' near your house? Basically overlooking the ruins of Dolores.

I have been providing the G community with my expertise in rebuilding/servicing G axles and performing G engine/transmission upgrades, if you search http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/ for posts from "Chris", you should see some pics I have posted from past projects.
Im currently setting up a metal shop in my new place so expect to see pictures and offroad protection and storage products for the G in the coming months.

Thanks.

That is good to know.

Put me on the group list and we can make specific plans as the time gets closer.

I haven't seen the tower. Is it on the big ranch to the west (Ford)?

Cool on the G related business. Can't wait to see pics and products.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy,

Many thanks.

I bought a pressure bleeder and flushed all the fluid when I first got it. Also changed every other filter and fluid on the vehicle right away. I read Harald's article. That is how I figured out how to use the system. That guy is super knowledgeable.

I exercise both the lockers and the transfer case regularly (I live at the end of a 9 mile dirt road with frequent opportunities for water crossings and deep mud).

William

You're very welcome!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Get those bumpers and sliders to market already Chris! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior