QUEST COMPLETED: An eco-overlander is chosen

wd40

DesertRose said:
The other two are for using alternative fuels in a business. One is a credit for fuel-dispensing equipment (storage and delivery, like pumps) and the other is for actual purchase (or sale) of the fuel - up to $1 a gallon credit.

I have contacted a biodiesel wholesaler in Tucson who sources US-crop biodiesel and will deliver bulk fuel (as little as 100 gallons), and sells a nice affordable storage unit that qualifies for the credit, too - so I'll save coming and going.

The $1 a gallon credit is what makes biodiesel about on par with dinosaur diesel price wise. Biodiesel was a pretty pricy commitment prior to that.

I like your angle on the storage and delivery credit and that gives me a couple ideas... Maybe I can write off my portable biodiesel storage and delivery system made from Harbor Freight parts?

th_IMG_0591.jpg

Unfortunately, in Phoenix, our only biodiesel supplier will only deliver on 1000 gallon commitments...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
DesertRose said:
In the end, turns out, I'm a Toyota Girl at heart...

... it has that indescribable Land Cruiser capability that telepaths through the steering wheel: "I can take you anywhere you want to go . . . let's leave tomorrow . . . "

:bowdown: Congrats Roseann!!! I can't wait to see you driving this. Too cool.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Thomas Friedman in NYT on how America can take back our world stature by being Green

Perfect timing:

The Power of Green

A New York Times Magazine article (12 pages! break out the coffee!) by Thomas Friedman on how American can regain its world stature by taking the lead in alternative energy and environmentalism.

A fantastic read, and apropos of many things we have been discussing on ExPo of late.

If you can't get onto the NYT site, email me or PM me and I'll email you the PDF.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'll add my congrats too! I've been following the eco overlander thread closely as it is something that I've been pondering alot lately too. I'll be watching your build up with great interest. I'm convinced that I want to do a diesel conversion and manual tranny swap with my FJ80 someday and this is just going to be brain candy for me to follow. Nice work, good considerations, and way to take these concerns into consideration for this project.:bowdown:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Wow, that is so great.. Congrats! My friends at GScruiserparts.com have probably the best deal on non USA engines.. You might try proffittscruisers.com who has recently come across a bunch of 70 series mine trucks that are probably powered by them.. They have done 1HZ projects.. You might try this thread on mud about them, there are all sorts of neat diesel options..
the 1HZ is awesome but timing belt, indirect inject, and no turbo. that said still a hell of a power plant, they are still putting them in 105 series overseas, a very long running line of Toyota engine in 70, 80, and 100 series models, a long long time..

Cheers and that is great. there is a lack of good diesels in the states for less than an arm and a leg. this is why the 4BT swaps are getting so popular. Problem with those is 4" lift, noise, and some vibration. Other than that great engine, I am on swap #2 with one.. We are putting an Izusu 4BD1T into a FJ62 probably in June sometime. We test ran the engine about a month ago, (it turned out to have a bad cyl though).. that is also another neat engine, nice and quiet, parts available domestically, I would say a "4BT" without the "4bt..." Very smooth quiet high horsepower lower torque short stroke diesel. IE great for a street or more streetable rig.. Probably almost perfect for a swap.. Adapter situation is tough and expensive. If you need any help, any time, feel free to contact me.. I have been researching this a long time.. Also click the link in my sig to the diesel conversion site. Outdated but good info there... Cheers! Andre

:beer:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
dieselcruiserhead said:
Wow, that is so great.. Congrats! My friends at GScruiserparts.com have probably the best deal on non USA engines.. You might try proffittscruisers.com who has recently come across a bunch of 70 series mine trucks that are probably powered by them.. They have done 1HZ projects.. You might try this thread on mud about them, there are all sorts of neat diesel options..
the 1HZ is awesome but timing belt, indirect inject, and no turbo. that said still a hell of a power plant, they are still putting them in 105 series overseas, a very long running line of Toyota engine in 70, 80, and 100 series models, a long long time..

Cheers and that is great. there is a lack of good diesels in the states for less than an arm and a leg. this is why the 4BT swaps are getting so popular. Problem with those is 4" lift, noise, and some vibration. Other than that great engine, I am on swap #2 with one.. We are putting an Izusu 4BD1T into a FJ62 probably in June sometime. We test ran the engine about a month ago, (it turned out to have a bad cyl though).. that is also another neat engine, nice and quiet, parts available domestically, I would say a "4BT" without the "4bt..." Very smooth quiet high horsepower lower torque short stroke diesel. IE great for a street or more streetable rig.. Probably almost perfect for a swap.. Adapter situation is tough and expensive. If you need any help, any time, feel free to contact me.. I have been researching this a long time.. Also click the link in my sig to the diesel conversion site. Outdated but good info there... Cheers! Andre

:beer:

Andre - thanks so much. Your websites and links proved to be the most useful I came across for helping me decide.

I'm so happy to be a "cruiserhead" again, and soon enough a diesel one.

We're contacting GS soon and also Proffitts. Probably need to sell the Taco first, though.

I took the 60 out for a spin yesterday to run it through low-range, and - just came back grinning!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Roseann----you're my freekin' hero! That is just to damn cool! No, really. . . that is f'in sweet!

Can't wait to see it on the trips....

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Sweet, nice find and I like your direction on this build.:D Should be a great rig when pulled together. It'll be fun to watch the progress.

Cheers to your excellent find.:friday:

BMAN

Adventurer
Roseanne,

Congrats on your purchase and decision to go full on bio-d.

You might do a little searching on the CSC board over on MUD as we have a few bio D's in the club, a 55 a 60 and an 80 series. The 55 and the 80 were both swapped recently, and the 55(Isuzu swap) was at our club meeting on Friday and wow what a cool setup.

Being that I just finished up a drivetrain swap in my 60 I'd be more than happy to lend a hand where I can.

You might also check into the fender fitment from the 62 as I believe the headlight fitment needs some help before bolting it up. Henry Cublian can answer that for sure as he did a facelift on his 62 during his diesel swap.

Again... Congrats and good luck.

Last edited:

Alexlebrit

Ahh it makes this European heart skip happily to see an American convert to diesel, but I mean, what took you so long ;)

Have you actually considered making your own biodiesel? I'm not certain on the whole rules and regs thing for you guys, but a quick Google will turn up hundreds of pages on it, many with very very good advice, on running your diesel on recycled cooking oil for instance.

I've been doing it for the last couple of years, and even with a modern Direct Injection Diesel engine in my Panda 4x4 it urns quite happily, gets about 45 - 50 mpg on road, about 35-45 off road, and even better I get the old oil for free from some of the local restaurants, all I have to do is go round a couple of times a month and pick it up.

Your BigMac and Fries is powering my car.

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
This is AMAZING!!!! I love my jeep and I love exploring, but my MPG is TERRIBLY PATHETIC and all i can think about is how much of a tree-hugger i can be at times, but I'm the one driving the honkin', wasteful V8!! I'd love to do a diesel conversion at some point. Recycling, increasing efficiently without sacrificing capability! It'd be great to keep up w/ your story in Overland Journal too if possible. Good luck and keep us all posted!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger