Question - F150 or Range Rover

jdholder

Explorer
Ok, so without explaining everything, I have an opportunity to build up one of two trucks for camping/expedition travel - 2003 Ford F150 Supercrew or 2003 Range Rover SHE.

Each have their own pro's and con's -
F150.
Pro's - I like the pickup bed. Its got a big motor. Fairly "simple" for a computer controlled late model truck. Simple leaf springs in rear. Easy to fit 35" tires with stock height.
Con's- IFS reputation not great. Trans reputation is not great.

Range Rover
Pro's - so plush. Great articulation. Air suspension handles loads well
Con's - air suspension is complicated and can fail. Trans doesn't have best reputation. Limited aftermarket parts

I am not thinking lift it 6 inches and run 37's. I'm thinking fairly simple work to run slightly larger than stock tires. Anything I do will be to support camping with the kids remotely - and I need to tow my trailer with RTT - approx 2000 to 2500lbs loaded.

Give me your thoughts. Can't choose another vehicle right now - so I am stuck with one of these two.

jdholder

Explorer
I see the votes - but come back and tell me "why"?

Is it a vote FOR the F150 or is it a vote AGAINST the Range Rover?????

Thanks!

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
+1 more vote for the F150. My reason - you break down anywhere in North America and you will probably be able to find parts for it with relative ease.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
F150 gets my vote too....

reasons reliability - parts availability

Since leaving rover for the dark side-

the only time I've got my hands dirty since is for oil changes, which has made a pleasant change

cowboy63645

Adventurer
After owning my 2002 F150 I would go with the truck. You have parts readily available at any parts store, if you will be towing, the longer wheelbase makes for a more stable comftorable ride, and having the extra room, even if it isnt immediatly needed can be nice for future upgrades, or equipment storage. Also, a 285/75/16, or a 285/70/17 tire is the largest you can run with the stock suspension. just my .02:smiley_drive:

hochung

Adventurer
if you are doing the pro / con thing, go FORD.

and if you have to ask why, even more reason to go FORD.

range rover isn't for you.

winkosmosis

Explorer
You're forgetting the horrible reliability of the Range Rover. How those vehicles got their "expedition" reputation, I don't know. The third world drives Toyotas, not Land Rovers, and that is for a reason.

But if you ask in the Land Rover board, they will tell you to use the Range Rover. They will swear up and down that all it takes is maintenance to make the RR reliable. Yeah right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78