Questions for the TundraBirds on 04-06 DC Trucks?

VW Jeeper

Observer
Are there many better examples near you that have what you want (color, history, good owner(s), warranty, etc.)?

Not really, there are ~10 04-06 DC 4wd trucks for sale within a 50 mile radius of me.

For my area KBB lists the following pricing on this specific truck:

Private Party - $21,995
CPO Retail - $24,595 (Given the truck will still technically be a CPO vehicle)

Given that info I think his price is fair. I feel like there may still be a little room for negoiation as well since I would be buying from an individual.

jim65wagon

I recommend 1st gen Tundras to anyone that asks. Mine is at 170,000 trouble free miles. Well, except fot the 4 O2 sensors I've changed, and the usual tires, gas and oil maintenance stuff.
I use the Mothers Back to Black on my trim and tonneau cover, they both turn grey over time. The paint gets a good buffing about twice a year (or more as needed) most times simply running over it with a cleaner/wax using my cheapie orbital buffer shines the paint up to showroom (if you ignore the deeper scratches)
The 5-speed: I'd love to swap one in place of my 4-speed. Not that the 4-speed is bad (mines gone 170,000 afterall), but I think 1st gear is a little lower and that would be cool in the woods.
If the truck has a tow package it should have a transmission cooler. Double check for it. If it does not have one swap in the biggest aftermarket cooler you can fit. Mine is a Long Tru-Cool.
The 04 was indeed a non-VVTi and a 4-speed combo with 4.10 gears
The 05-06 went VVTi and 5-speed. I think they went back to 3.91s but some may be 4.10s.
I'm halfway sure all DCs were limited slip rearends, if you look there should be a tag on the diff cover with the letters LSD.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2000-2006 Tundra AC or DC, if the price was right (and I needed a truck)
Oh yeah since its a beach truck be sure to crawl underneath it with a flashlight and look for rust. If you see any in the floors or the frame tap it with a screwdriver and make sure it's still solid.....not usually a problem, but with salt water exposure it never hurts to be sure....

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My '05 DC was purchased May of 2011. It has 42,000 miles on the clock. I paid $19,500 plus tax and license. So I think the price they are asking is pretty fair. I looked for a few months, and this price in my area was good. Also my DC does not have limited slip, or if it does it does not work. I have tested it to see and there seems to be nothing.

jim65wagon

My '05 DC was purchased May of 2011. It has 42,000 miles on the clock. I paid $19,500 plus tax and license. So I think the price they are asking is pretty fair. I looked for a few months, and this price in my area was good. Also my DC does not have limited slip, or if it does it does not work. I have tested it to see and there seems to be nothing.

You should do a quick read on this TS VIN thread, nutshell: take your VIN to a dealer and they can printout what options are on your truck. Maybe LSD was an option on DCs, and my info was incorrect....you know how accurate internet knowledge is....

VW Jeeper

Observer
If the truck has a tow package it should have a transmission cooler. Double check for it. If it does not have one swap in the biggest aftermarket cooler you can fit. Mine is a Long Tru-Cool.

I'm halfway sure all DCs were limited slip rearends, if you look there should be a tag on the diff cover with the letters LSD.

Thanks Jim - the truck has the LSD sticker/tag on the rear diff cover so I'm assuming it has the unit. I did notice the factory trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator on the truck as well. Again, more reasons to buy it! :wings:

I'm plan to talk to the seller again today and hopefully work out a deal so we'll see what happens :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

sardi55

My 05 DC has 170k on it still ticking strong, tranny is great and the rest of the truck is a dream, I would make sure the truck has the LSD rear end, because mine even with the LSD can let go if I get into the throttle too quick, I would not want to see the truck without it one tire fire. LOL

VW Jeeper

Observer
Well......no updates yet. I did talk to the current owner again yesterday I feel certain I can walk away with the truck for $19,500, which I'm comfortable paying. BUT, the wife has me looking at 7 seater Jeep Commanders and SE7 Disco IIs, which aren't bad options either, but they're no Tundra in more ways than one!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Commanders...? Please ;) (I don't care for the styling.)

Those two wagons are very different from a Tundra, but it's whatever suits your needs and what you will like best for the longest.

I'm biased in favor of pickups, and love a crew-cab pickup and an open bed. Don't like an open bed, put a shell on it and make it into a very versatile wagon.

VW Jeeper

Observer
Commanders...? Please ;) (I don't care for the styling.)

Those two wagons are very different from a Tundra, but it's whatever suits your needs and what you will like best for the longest.

I'm biased in favor of pickups, and love a crew-cab pickup and an open bed. Don't like an open bed, put a shell on it and make it into a very versatile wagon.

Agreed!

The SUVs definately have certain advantages that are nice, like 7 seats, but at the end of the day the Tundra fits our needs the best. After spending most of the weekend looking at and driving a few Commanders (which are super nice vehicles) we've decided to pursue the '06 Tundra DC that I started this thread about. It's still available and the previous owner has come off his price a bit so we are meeting today afterwork to hopefully shake on a deal. Needless to say I'm uber excited!!! :wings:

In the spirit of the truck being "new" to me I plan to freshen it up with new fluilds and tune up. Given the truck has 65K on it here's a listing of maintenance items I'd like to address.

What else am I missing?

Oil and Filter Change - Synthetic 5w30
Rear Diff Oil Change - Synthetic w/LSD additive
Front Diff Oil Change - Synthetic
T-Case Oil Change - Synthetic
Transmission - Sealed unit so can it be changed?
Check/Top off all other fluids
New Spark Plugs - Toyota OEM
New Air Filter - Toyota OEM
New Cabin Air Filter - Does an '06 have one?
Grease all fittings
Wash and wax/buff

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
My brother has a Jeep Commander, and they just had to buy a mini van because the back seats of the Jeep are for amputees only. They are really not for people of any size, and one you have them up and are using them there is no storage period.

D

Deleted member 9101

The trally is easy, take to a shop...pay 85.00 and they unhook the tranny cooler lines and exchange 100% of the fluid. Worth every penny if ya ask me!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip.....we've decided to pursue the '06 Tundra DC that I started this thread about. It's still available and the previous owner has come off his price a bit so we are meeting today afterwork to hopefully shake on a deal. Needless to say I'm uber excited!!! :wings:

Great news! Of course it's easy to spend other people's money, but I already thought it was a good deal, if it's less money I say buy it yesterday ;)

What else am I missing?

Rear Diff Oil Change - Synthetic w/LSD additive Use Red Line gear oil and you shouldn't need the LSD additive

Transmission - Sealed unit so can it be changed? Yes, but since it has a very new, OEM tranny is this warranted already?

VW Jeeper

Observer
Great news! Of course it's easy to spend other people's money, but I already thought it was a good deal, if it's less money I say buy it yesterday ;)

Haha...yes I have the spending other people's money problem as well. We "shook" on a deal last night at $19,400. I'm happy, the wife's happy, and he's happy....what else could you ask for? :elkgrin:

Finishing up everything over the next couple of days so I should have the truck by the end of week and hopefully some pics.

Regarding the tranny, you are right. It was replaced under warranty at 54K so there's no reason to change the fluid yet. Oil and filter were just changed as well at 64K by Toyota so all the truck really needs right away is a good wax job.

The truck will be in need a new set of rubber before winter so I should have a good excuse to add a lift at the same time. I have a pratically new set of OME 885 coils sitting in the garage from a left over project. Slee sells a Tundra lift that utilizes these coils with the 90004 OME struts and N182 shocks in the rear. What are you guys thoughts on this set up and how much lift should I expect?

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I have a pratically new set of OME 885 coils sitting in the garage from a left over project. Slee sells a Tundra lift that utilizes these coils with the 90004 OME struts and N182 shocks in the rear. What are your thoughts on this set up and how much lift should I expect?

If you read their website, they include a set of rear add a leafs and call it a 2.5" lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears