Ram Power Wagon

Explorerinil

Observer
Why do you say its a lot more capable than a tremor, just curious.
Front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnects, radius arms with a cam in them that allows for flex, soft coil springs front and rear and the truck overall is smaller than the ford with a better turning radius, oh and I forgot the standard warn winch.

all these are advantages over the tremor for hardcore off-road.

Explorerinil

Observer
Again, I am not an expert on these, and don't own either one, but I have been looking at them quite a bit. Primary difference that I see is that the Power Wagon has a true locking diff front and rear, whereas the Tremor has a locking diff in the rear, but only a limited slip diff up front. That makes a big difference on the trail. I also think the Power Wagon has a bit more ground clearance, stock on 35's, than the Tremor does, and I think the PW has a better approach angle (stock), plus an integrated winch!
Heres how I look at it, the tremor is great for hauling and towing heavy loads into remote places, the power wagon is great for driving through those remote places.

VanDominator13

Observer
Heres how I look at it, the tremor is great for hauling and towing heavy loads into remote places, the power wagon is great for driving through those remote places.

This is pretty accurate. I was buying the Tremor because of extra payload so I could haul generators from time to time at work. But with the airbags on the powerwagon I’ll be able to do the same work and have a better off road truck.

jadmt

ignore button user
just got back from Moab 1831 miles total. 1516 round trip and 315 miles on trails and getting to the trails. used 127.613 gallons total. so overall average was 14.35 mpg. I was happy with that as trail mpg is like 5 mpg. winds can be brutal coming and going and lots of 80mph driving. This is the second time I have been to Moab in my PW and this trip convinced me that 35's are really limiting its potential. Stock shocks also suck, they get hot enough to sizzle spit and are much too soft once they are over heated. the 75A rock guards/steps are much stronger than most people realize and while they might not be white knuckle strong they are strong just the same. did not get many photos as my wife was not interested in jumping out and back in much more than a couple times. Can't say I blame her. really does need a front camera as even with the seat jacked up as high as it will go still have a tough time seeing over the hood when climbing and not being able to see what is over the top is tough. Oh and super comfortable was easy doing non stop one way 758 miles in under 12 hours.IMG_20220608_151540856_HDR.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Looks like an awesome trip, you’ll have to post more pics. So from your experience you think stock with 35’s and a good set of shocks is the way to go or a full thuren suspension?

jadmt

ignore button user
Looks like an awesome trip, you’ll have to post more pics. So from your experience you think stock with 35’s and a good set of shocks is the way to go or a full thuren suspension?
unfortunately I did not get many action photos as wife is 5'3" and 60yoa was not happy getting in and out and it was 100F out. No I think better shocks and 37's would be much better and if the Thuren or Carli is within someone's budget they would definitely be the way to go. I have been to moab at least 10-12 times in jeep Rubicons and this is the second time in my truck I will say Power Wagon is no Jeep Rubicon....but it is a lot more comfortable coming and going....definitely easier driving the 758 miles in a day in the truck and in reality I don't think the mpg was but a mile or two worse in the truck and only needed two gas stops where the jeep needed 3 or 4 depending on head wind. Oh and the RSI smartcap's positive pressure feature flat works as dust as there was no dust inside the bed. Last time I had a softopper on and my buddy had a ARE topper and we both had an inch of dust in our truck beds and gear was covered in dust.

IMG_20220608_110646456_HDR-1.jpg

Last edited:

VanDominator13

Observer
just got back from Moab 1831 miles total. 1516 round trip and 315 miles on trails and getting to the trails. used 127.613 gallons total. so overall average was 14.35 mpg. I was happy with that as trail mpg is like 5 mpg. winds can be brutal coming and going and lots of 80mph driving. This is the second time I have been to Moab in my PW and this trip convinced me that 35's are really limiting its potential. Stock shocks also suck, they get hot enough to sizzle spit and are much too soft once they are over heated. the 75A rock guards/steps are much stronger than most people realize and while they might not be white knuckle strong they are strong just the same. did not get many photos as my wife was not interested in jumping out and back in much more than a couple times. Can't say I blame her. really does need a front camera as even with the seat jacked up as high as it will go still have a tough time seeing over the hood when climbing and not being able to see what is over the top is tough. Oh and super comfortable was easy doing non stop one way 758 miles in under 12 hours.View attachment 726079

Sure does look like fun! Moab is definitely on my list of places to take the wife and kid. Interesting to head about the positive pressure on the smartcap. I still haven't decided on what shell or camper I'm going to run with the Powerwagon. Dust is my main concern between going with a slide in FWC style camper or something like a GFC or Ovrlnd shell that would stay on full-time.

Reactions: twt

jadmt

ignore button user
Sure does look like fun! Moab is definitely on my list of places to take the wife and kid. Interesting to head about the positive pressure on the smartcap. I still haven't decided on what shell or camper I'm going to run with the Powerwagon. Dust is my main concern between going with a slide in FWC style camper or something like a GFC or Ovrlnd shell that would stay on full-time.
I had a GFC and they do not seal very well. Also they are heavier than advertised. I liked mine but it was not ideal for me. this it driving away with the guy I sold it to. He drove all the way from Austin Texas to Bozeman MT to pick it up.CD7EE29B-D573-461B-800F-7158D1ACB60C.jpeg

VanDominator13

Observer
I had a GFC and they do not seal very well. Also they are heavier than advertised. I liked mine but it was not ideal for me. this it driving away with the guy I sold it to. He drove all the way from Austin Texas to Bozeman MT to pick it up.View attachment 726207
I'm starting to lean towards something that won't live on the truck full time. It wouldn't be an issue if it was just me dirtbag camping solo but I do have a wife and kid I need to keep comfortable. I'd also like to be able to bomb some back roads and hit some more technical trails without a 300-500lb wedge or pop-up shell living on the truck. Thinking a FWC or something similar that I can keep in the garage when we aren't boondocking.

VanDominator13

Observer
Current state of the build.
Almost too much to list at this point. I’m terrible keeping up with this sort of thing.
Went with Carli King 2.5 pintop suspension, Carli Radius arms and Thuren rear track bar.
The AT Overland Habitat has been great for my wife, daughter and I. Just getting the load in/load out dialed on a trip by trip basis.
Still need to get a ton of wiring done for lighting and on board air. Along with getting the roof rack mounted on the cab.
2289f60eb3586258900530f5ecaaf6f0.jpg

42a4812b4dc59cfff4bcb61ec5d003a0.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior