Ram Power Wagon

VanDominator13

Observer
Spoke to CJC regarding suspension today. Thuren has up to 6 month wait time for their shocks right now. Carli's are in stock. Its going to cost a little more money but I'm going to go with my original plan and get a Carli Pintop setup. I feel like I went with the more budget friendly suspension on my last truck and I was disappointed. Installation date is early sept.

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve had ram trucks with both set ups, they are both top of the line and both perform excellent. I would hardly call thuren budget friendly, it’s not a spacer kit. If I still had my power wagon I would go thuren and wait. However, you won’t be unhappy with carli, just your wallet. Don’t get the carli radius arms, since the power wagon runs a specific radius arm with another flexible joint in it. You can run the carli arms, but you will loose articulation.

rehammer81

You might also consider that the Thuren setup is delayed because they are in demand but not able to acquire the parts fast enough and complete the custom tuning they provide. I know Carli shocks are "custom" tuned for the Carli suspension setups for a specific platform but Thuren literally tunes your shocks for YOUR setup. Like you tell them I'm running a 2022 Power Wagon, with a GFC and loaded Decked system in the back on 37" tires and occasionally towing a trailer with my toys, etc. I'm not against Carli or think it is subpar, it just seems like you are underselling/valuing what a Thuren setup is.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Explorerinil

Observer
You might also consider that the Thuren setup is delayed because they are in demand but not able to acquire the parts fast enough and complete the custom tuning they provide. I know Carli shocks are "custom" tuned for the Carli suspension setups for a specific platform but Thuren literally tunes your shocks for YOUR setup. Like you tell them I'm running a 2022 Power Wagon, with a GFC and loaded Decked system in the back on 37" tires and occasionally towing a trailer with my toys, etc. I'm not against Carli or think it is subpar, it just seems like you are underselling/valuing what a Thuren setup is.

Good point, his suspensions are tuned to the truck, not like carli that builds standard kits for 2500, 3500, gas or diesel.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I don't know anything about this topic, but I am interested in Power Wagons, so I found this conversation to be very helpful, I also found this Tire Fittment guide on Thuren's site to be very informative:

1654736623162.png

Last edited:

VanDominator13

Observer
I’ve had ram trucks with both set ups, they are both top of the line and both perform excellent. I would hardly call thuren budget friendly, it’s not a spacer kit. If I still had my power wagon I would go thuren and wait. However, you won’t be unhappy with carli, just your wallet. Don’t get the carli radius arms, since the power wagon runs a specific radius arm with another flexible joint in it. You can run the carli arms, but you will loose articulation.

The guys at CJC said the same thing. No radius arms for the power wagon. Just run the pintop with their springs and airbags with daystar cradles.

VanDominator13

Observer

I did consider that. my first choice was to go with Thuren. The prospect of a 6 month wait for parts and the negligible difference in performance isn't enough for me to wait. Carli makes a Powerwagon specific shock package, so while it might not be as customized as the Thuren's I'm sure they'll be more than enough for my needs. I've heard tons of good things about both companies, and if I ever need the shocks re tuned there is always accutune.

Explorerinil

Observer
Regardless of what you do, CJC Off-road are a bunch of stand up guys, they will take care of you and you will be happy with your power wagon. I cant say enough good things about them.

VanDominator13

Observer
Regardless of what you do, CJC Off-road are a bunch of stand up guys, they will take care of you and you will be happy with your power wagon. I cant say enough good things about them.

I couldn't agree more. They have been more than patient with me. Answering all of my questions and at no point did I ever feel like they were upselling me. I'm looking forward to getting my truck built with them.

skrypj

Nice truck. That’s allot more capable than a tremor. I personally would just run some simple thuren coils, track bars and fox 2.0 shocks and be done. You will be very pleased with that set up on the power wagon.

Why do you say its a lot more capable than a tremor, just curious.

aaaslayer

Level 3 Trim, off road package, rock rails, badge delete, dual alternators, wired tow mode camera for when I get the FWC.
Only thing it didn’t come with that I had ordered originally on the Tremor was the upfitter switches. Haven’t figured out what route I’m going to go with those yet. SDHQ makes a nice switch panel that mounts out of the way, AEV seems to have an option as well.

I have a very similar setup for what you are trying to achieve...

2021 power wagon
1.5" front leveling coils thuren
thuren rear coils STOCK height no lift just softer rate springs
thuren front track bar
thuren rear track bar
thuren overland shocks front and rear
and I have a OVLRLND Campers pop top on my truck.

37x13.5"r17 nitto mud grapplers (they actually run 14" wide)
I have oem beadlock ready wheels. Same as yours. Yes they rub on full lock on the control arms just a bit. Not enough to be concerned or run spacers to be honest. I've taken my truck on some gnarly trails and haven't felt the need to run spacers or buy aftermarket wheels.

Why did I choose Thuren over Carli? Well for one, Carli is a lot more expensive. I also have a pop top, which means I'm not driving fast on the desert, I don't have a need for Carli and kings. You can go Carli and get their less expensive kits and still have a great ride. Both are great, I chose Thuren because I had it on my Cummins and loved it. It's just slightly less than Carli (price wise), and the quality is top notch and Don Thuren is an expert at tuning suspension for these trucks. He doesn't hide behind his brand, he makes himself known and you get to see what he does and how he tunes and tests these HD trucks. I don't know anything about Sage Carli or who he is or his knowledge. Because Don Thuren is out there in the public eye, and Sage Carli isn't, that's another reason why I went with Thuren. I also can text Don or Chris if I have issues or questions. I did. When I was installing my suspension I had a question regarding the track bar install, and I was able to text both Chris and Don and get a response back right away, on a Saturday. As much as I hate to bug someone on the weekends when I know their business is closed, I had to because I was in the middle of my install, and they replied and were able to answer my questions and I was able to finish my install that same day.

Side note: if you ever upgrade your wheels, I'd buy 1 wheel off you. I want to run a spare oem wheel on a 37". I have a Method NV to trade brand new if interested. 17x8.5 method nv polished

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Why do you say its a lot more capable than a tremor, just curious.
Again, I am not an expert on these, and don't own either one, but I have been looking at them quite a bit. Primary difference that I see is that the Power Wagon has a true locking diff front and rear, whereas the Tremor has a locking diff in the rear, but only a limited slip diff up front. That makes a big difference on the trail. I also think the Power Wagon has a bit more ground clearance, stock on 35's, than the Tremor does, and I think the PW has a better approach angle (stock), plus an integrated winch!

VanDominator13

Observer
I have a very similar setup for what you are trying to achieve...

2021 power wagon
1.5" front leveling coils thuren
thuren rear coils STOCK height no lift just softer rate springs
thuren front track bar
thuren rear track bar
thuren overland shocks front and rear
and I have a OVLRLND Campers pop top on my truck.

37x13.5"r17 nitto mud grapplers (they actually run 14" wide)
I have oem beadlock ready wheels. Same as yours. Yes they rub on full lock on the control arms just a bit. Not enough to be concerned or run spacers to be honest. I've taken my truck on some gnarly trails and haven't felt the need to run spacers or buy aftermarket wheels.

Why did I choose Thuren over Carli? Well for one, Carli is a lot more expensive. I also have a pop top, which means I'm not driving fast on the desert, I don't have a need for Carli and kings. You can go Carli and get their less expensive kits and still have a great ride. Both are great, I chose Thuren because I had it on my Cummins and loved it. It's just slightly less than Carli (price wise), and the quality is top notch and Don Thuren is an expert at tuning suspension for these trucks. He doesn't hide behind his brand, he makes himself known and you get to see what he does and how he tunes and tests these HD trucks. I don't know anything about Sage Carli or who he is or his knowledge. Because Don Thuren is out there in the public eye, and Sage Carli isn't, that's another reason why I went with Thuren. I also can text Don or Chris if I have issues or questions. I did. When I was installing my suspension I had a question regarding the track bar install, and I was able to text both Chris and Don and get a response back right away, on a Saturday. As much as I hate to bug someone on the weekends when I know their business is closed, I had to because I was in the middle of my install, and they replied and were able to answer my questions and I was able to finish my install that same day.

Side note: if you ever upgrade your wheels, I'd buy 1 wheel off you. I want to run a spare oem wheel on a 37". I have a Method NV to trade brand new if interested. 17x8.5 method nv polished

I was debating whether or not to run an Ovrlnd shell or something similar, but decided against it for that exact reason. When I’m not camping I want to go to go fast on some dirt roads in the desert.
So I have to find the sweet spot between camping, playing and work.
Im curious if the it’s just the Thuren setup that allows for stock wheels with 37’s. I might just try that with the Carli’s before buying a set of new methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan