Random May Run - Tundra Brakes, Trout and Rainbows

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
I've had the itch to get out for some time now. Today after putting the final touches on the Tundra Brake upgrade for the Tacoma I decided it was time to hit the dirt. In the house I ran for a few supplies to toss in the fridge, while I was there I saw my fishing license and figured what the heck. Picked it up and the "basics" for fishing. My old fishing basket, colapsible rod, a few lures and an empty can for the worms. I know of a place on the way that always has worms for sale...

Everything was tossed in and off I go. I quickly stopped for fuel while I was at it, just in case. I hit the road and drive by the place that sells worm, nothing. Hmm... what to do now. Heck I've got a shovel, might as well try digging a few. I stopped in at Moose Lake where they have grassy shores and tried my luck. With the first shovel...bingo, I'm in business. I spent about 15 minutes digging for worms. I felt like a kid all over again. Down in the dirt, dirty hands, black flies attacking does it really get any better? I was finishing up and the skies opened up thankfully I could hide in the truck and stay dry. I decided to check out my "secret" place.

DSC05022.jpg

Dare I cross?
DSC05018.jpg

Not a chance but hey this is as far as I need to go...
DSC05020.jpg

The rain had stopped but just as I crossed the bridge it started again. Well I came all this way, might as well get wet. Turns out it was a good decision as I managed to catch my limit today.
DSC05036.jpg

They will be tasty tomorrow evening with some fresh baby potatoes and another local treat: fiddleheads. Apparently we have the largest fiddleheads in New Brunswick.

After a bit of fishing, I decided to explore the area a bit to see what was available for wilderness camping. As I was driving by exploring some of the side roads, I happened accross this neat site above Spectacle Lake of all places.
DSC05025.jpg

It's not the best picture but for a point and shoot it came out decent. Hard to tell but if you look closely there are two rainbows. I must have done something good.

As I was completing the loop I found a nice sandy area and figured it was a good opportunity to stretch out the suspension and exercise the lockers.
DSC05034.jpg

At that point I was teetering on two wheels! Front bump stop:
DSC05030.jpg

Rear bump stop:
DSC05033.jpg

The Donahoe and Deaver combination works extremely well. My only complaint is that I need a bit more load capacity from the rear springs. Currently running 9 leafs, 10 would probably do the trick.

On the road home, I had to take a picture of this place. Can you imagine going to sleep and waking up to the sound of water running...
DSC05035.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the camp on the right hand side of the Lepreau River. What a beautiful place and what a great day. They do say that the best trips are the spurr of the moment ones. Today I'm a believer.

Cheers :beer:,
P

jim65wagon

Nice trip, nice fish, nice flex! Oooh! am I green today! Well, maybe not too green, since we did wind up with a mess of catfish and bream on Sunday (boat ride on the rivah); but the area you were in is a whole lot more scenic!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Very cool shots. Nice place to camp away from crowds. There's no way i would have drove my rig over that bridge either! :snorkel:

Willman

Can't wait to hear how the Tundra brakes work out in the long run!

Thinking of putting a pair on my rig!

Great trip report!

:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12