Random RIG Shots

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
120100321--1_DSC2172And4more_tonema.jpg

That is one sweet shot! :wings: What lens did you use for this one?

HB 4X4

Adventurer
12-24 is a good lens what camera do you shoot with?

Yeah it is, I love it. I use it for ladscapes but it also gives a cool perspective for shots like this were I only have to be a couple feet away from the truck to get it in the frame.

I shoot with a D300. I'm planning on picking up a D700 but I'm waiting for it's upgrade which should be this Fall.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Yeah it is, I love it. I use it for ladscapes but it also gives a cool perspective for shots like this were I only have to be a couple feet away from the truck to get it in the frame.

I shoot with a D300. I'm planning on picking up a D700 but I'm waiting for it's upgrade which should be this Fall.

Yeah I shoot a D90 and have been saying the same about the D700 upgrade (D700s lol) I did get ahold of the D300s a while back and loved the changes. I can honestly say the only thing I wish the D90 had that the D300 has is the 51 point focus. I can see a whole slew of upgrade features that the D700 could get to bring it up to par software wise and feature wise.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Up to par with what?

hmm maybe up to par with the other models on the list as well as with their direct competition from Canon, the 5D MII. Continuous shooting speed would be a great start. The D3s has a top speed of 9fps and the D300s has a top speed of 7fps. while the D700 is stuck at 5fps. Of course they will be adding the Video feature to, but hopefully they will take a hint from Canon, since the 5D MII is selling so well not only to professional photographers but professional videographers, and upgrade the video abilities. I am not super concerned with the MP wars but again Canon is taking top honors there as well. If Nikon wants to lead as they did for the first time a few years ago they need to update ahead of the curve. The D700 is the perfect platform to make that happen.

HB 4X4

Adventurer
HB, how do you like the Goodyear's? I'm considering them as my next tire. 4runner looks great by the way.

Up to par with what?

So far they have worked great.

hmm maybe up to par with the other models on the list as well as with their direct competition from Canon, the 5D MII. Continuous shooting speed would be a great start. The D3s has a top speed of 9fps and the D300s has a top speed of 7fps. while the D700 is stuck at 5fps. Of course they will be adding the Video feature to, but hopefully they will take a hint from Canon, since the 5D MII is selling so well not only to professional photographers but professional videographers, and upgrade the video abilities. I am not super concerned with the MP wars but again Canon is taking top honors there as well. If Nikon wants to lead as they did for the first time a few years ago they need to update ahead of the curve. The D700 is the perfect platform to make that happen.

Most people who need the faster fps use the battery packs. My D300 gets 8fps when I use my MB-D10.

The wall that Nikon has hit with the D700 is that they can only do so much to it before it leaves the "prosumer" range. There are minimal differences separating the D700 and the D3s/x. If they change too much, it might as well be a D3. At a fraction of the price of the D3s/x there needs to be a decent difference between them still, otherwise how can they justify charging so much more for the D3? My guess is they will fix the fps, add video, perhaps add a few more megapixel, and that'll be it.

I am not waiting to upgrade because of hoping for a miraculous overhaul, but I am the type that will be severely annoyed if I buy a D700 now and for 5% difference in price I could have gotten the new model a few months later. So alas I wait.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader

Ah, gotcha. I was just wondering what you were refering to. Not that it matters to me much as I'm more of a one frame guy, but do you happen to know what the top frame rate of the 5D II or D300s is when shooting 14 bit RAW? ;) Mine remains at 5 fps. Video would be a nice addition, but it's not a deal breaker for me. It'll certainly be a few years before I replace my "random rig."
439699803_6PHNu-S.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
True, but when you see the changes in cameras, not just the D3s (which you can not compare with the D3x as they are way different animals with different capabilities) but the D90 (which had but a few weeks difference in introduction) and D300s and then take into account what has happend with other camera makers since oct of 2008 and that leaves a gap between others and nikon with cameras in the same catigory. Yeah I realize that only 2 years ago but many cameras makers have really stepped up.
I can't say I have been waiting on the D700 update to buy, but have been anxious to test it out. I spend most of my money on glass but I am well over the expected shots for the D90, it needs a good cleaning and my next realistic camera should be a full frame and the D700 fits very well. It will be early next year before I buy anyways unless I pick up this elementry school cattle call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12