Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

Excursion73

Observer
Surrendering

My RR has beaten me. I have been trying to find time to do the Diesel Conversion but alas british engineering has conquered me. My RR is superlocked with a broken door cylinder, broken door actuators on all doors. I have Key fobs that won't sync and a 4.0 that will not start because the engine is disabled. I can't reanable it since the door cylinder pin is broken and fobs won't sync. So my only option is to take it to a dealer and have then fix everything and that is going to cost more then the value of the vehicle.

It is a shame because the engine, trans, transfer case, front and rear diffs, and drive shafts were all in pristine condition. I am so frustrated that a vehicle that sold new for $55,000.00 dollars would only have one door out of five that can unlock with a key.

Much respect to anyone that can keep one of these on the road. I lack time and patience.

Of course the truck decided to freak out after I had purchased the conversion kit and 6.2l hmmvw diesel engine. DOH! I guess when it rains it pours!

From now on I am sticking with my Ford Diesels.

Hopefully someone will want my kit and engine and have better luck then I did.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
My RR has beaten me. I have been trying to find time to do the Diesel Conversion but alas british engineering has conquered me. My RR is superlocked with a broken door cylinder, broken door actuators on all doors. I have Key fobs that won't sync and a 4.0 that will not start because the engine is disabled. I can't reanable it since the door cylinder pin is broken and fobs won't sync. So my only option is to take it to a dealer and have then fix everything and that is going to cost more then the value of the vehicle.

It is a shame because the engine, trans, transfer case, front and rear diffs, and drive shafts were all in pristine condition. I am so frustrated that a vehicle that sold new for $55,000.00 dollars would only have one door out of five that can unlock with a key.

Much respect to anyone that can keep one of these on the road. I lack time and patience.

Of course the truck decided to freak out after I had purchased the conversion kit and 6.2l hmmvw diesel engine. DOH! I guess when it rains it pours!

From now on I am sticking with my Ford Diesels.

Hopefully someone will want my kit and engine and have better luck then I did.

Well you could gut everything electronic and rewire from scratch.

Excursion73

Observer
I thought about gutting it but I am working 100hrs+ every week. One of the joys of being self employed. I have no time and I am trying to move to a new house and having a project vehicle is not feasible for me to keep.

If I had more time or more money I would probably try to fix it. As it is right now it only makes me angry and I don't have enough time to put into a project like that. :Wow1:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I thought about gutting it but I am working 100hrs+ every week. One of the joys of being self employed. I have no time and I am trying to move to a new house and having a project vehicle is not feasible for me to keep.

If I had more time or more money I would probably try to fix it. As it is right now it only makes me angry and I don't have enough time to put into a project like that. :Wow1:

I've been there. Sometimes there are a lot more important priorities than a car hobby.

Marcelo

After 4 days of reading, Im finally done with the thread. What a journey! I had seen your truck before on youtube, but it never ocurred to me to look for the owner here. I will keep tabs on this story. :D

spikemd

Explorer
He had it up for sale last month. Not sure where it is at the moment. Electrical issues can plague some vehicles but the P38 is a solid trail vehicle on springs. Common areas like locks need to be addressed before they cause so much trouble. I have my truck reprogrammed so there is no immobilization or lockdown. I may swap out the locks as preventative maintenance but she doesn't see much rain and no salt.

A diesel conversion would be very cool but don't think I can legalize it in California.

sedat

Adventurer
6.5/6.6 is your only option in CA.

6.5: sidwinder only, but it obstructs your shock tower. otherwise prepare to bash the hell out of your firewall.

R-Overland

Adventurer
The only way to mount a turbo in a P38 is by using a rear mounted turbo and 'remodel' the firewall and transmission tunnel slightly.

R-Overland

Adventurer
I am really busy with work lately, and I have bought two CUCV M1009 and M1028 a boat and another BMW and have to time to drive the P38 much anymore :(
Last time was at mud jam 8 months ago or so. So I am going to sell her on. If someone here wants her first I'll take offers.
She's on craigslist, too. PM me , or better write in this thread.
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4596330787

kingsly

Did it sell? R-Overland, I'm considering taking this on (already have the engineered adaptor plate) but I have a few questions re: BeCM spoofing and the transmission!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior