Rear Knuckle Bushings "Box Spring Mattress" Squeak LR3 Questions

tdhunter13

Observer
Hey all, over the last week or so I have started to notice a squeak (non-brake related) in the back of the LR3. It is intermittent and only noticeable <30mph and with the windows down. I did some research and found a few similar cases (see links below) and in all instances they traced it to either the upper or lower rear knuckle bushings. (The bushings that actually connect the control arms to the knuckle/hub assembly, not to be confused with control arm bushings.) My question is has anyone here dealt with this before, if so, how hard is it to do myself? The parts run about $100 per side for "everything", so I figured it might be worth doing it myself. I am going to jack it up this evening and check that it is for sure those bushing and not something else. So, any thoughts/suggestions are helpful.

Reference Material:
Click Me

Click Me Too

unseenone

Explorer
I've got the mattress sound as well after some fairly heavy duty towing..... I suspect same issue, I'll have to dig into it soon... Otherwise seems like upper / lower rear control arm replacement time.

unseenone

Explorer
Thanks --- I'll have a look as well... definitely moving away from poly. I did poly front lowers, but plan to replace with these new ones.. I replaced all the sway bushes once.

tdhunter13

Observer
I jacked each corner up last night and started digging around and searching for some play, but I found none to my surprise. I set the E-brake, tried rotating the wheel, turned the spindle just a touch but nothing weird. Then tried to turn the wheel side to side then up and down to check bearings and it was pretty darn tight every way I turned it. That was with the wheel on too, so I had plenty of leverage. I did notice some knock Sat while driving across the hunting lease, sway bar bushings would make sense. Dad just thought it was the rear tire carrier as the attachment bolt has a lot of play, but I don't believe that to be the noise I was hearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998