Rebuild a $2k 80?

unsung

I'm in the market for a Land Cruiser, and yes it will be my first. I've looked at six so far locally and all have been overpriced and really pretty sad.

I feel I'm at a crossroads. As much as I'd like an 80 a 100 appeals to the reliability side of me. We live in sw chicago and spent time out west in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming so there are long trips ahead to do some exploring of trails and the old ghost towns.

Has anyone taken a beater and brought it back to a dependable road worthy vehicle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

MrWesson

Adventurer
I'm in the market for a Land Cruiser, and yes it will be my first. I've looked at six so far locally and all have been overpriced and really pretty sad.

I feel I'm at a crossroads. As much as I'd like an 80 a 100 appeals to the reliability side of me. We live in sw chicago and spent time out west in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming so there are long trips ahead to do some exploring of trails and the old ghost towns.

Has anyone taken a beater and brought it back to a dependable road worthy vehicle?

I've got a couple saved as potential flips if I get bored.

If I were in need personally then i'd absolutely do it. I could make a killing doing a quick refurb and selling it in mountain cities.

Id go for mechanically good with body damage/paint issues vs the other way around but if I found one in need of a rebuild i'd swap something instead..

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Could be a daunting task and a money pit. Have you looked at trucks in Texas and Arizona that might be in better shape?

unsung

Only online. It's definitely an option but airline tickets would add up fast. I figure anything can be saved if the frame is solid, the ones I've seen up here have too many flaky frames, which is to be expected.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Rust is the most problematic and likely expensive issue you will deal with. The generally accepted number for base lining most any 80 is $2K. Keep that in mind when looking at price. Right now I would expect to have at least $7K into purchase price and base lining to have a decent 80 and that is the low low price.

There are deals/steals out there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. I bought my wife's 95 for $750 with a "blown motor" puking water as I drove it on the trailer. This truck had been over heated, got a new radiator, blew that radiator and that is how I got it. I sold the ugly front bumper for $250 making total in, $500 and a drive to Asheville. Heather got a free replacement radiator, I flushed the system, new thermostat and changed all the fluids. That was over two years ago and it is our wheeling rig now, added bumper, sliders, 3" lift, tires and a winch. Has what sounds like a wrist pin knock. Heather will not let me swap it until it dies a natural death.

I would avoid rust at all cost. We have another 80 that has a good amount of cancer in the rear quarters, Heather wants me to make a Ute out of it and another horse person friend of hers wants one as well. Good luck with your search!

unsung

Thanks, found a nice lx470 I might just go for. No rust, higher miles but new timing chain and water pump. Probably the safer choice in the long run.

collk22

Observer
The 100 series will be much more comfortable getting you to the trail and back - the comfort and power can't be matched by an 80. With a competent driver and the right vehicle modifications, the 100 should be able to handle all put the most extreme terrain. As a 100 owner, I'll gladly give up a very small subset of trails that are beyond my vehicle's capabilities in exchange for the comfort, power, and refinement of the 100.

unsung

I placed a deposit on the LX470. Thanks for the replies everyone.

6btEX

Observer
The suspension on the LX470 is on of the biggest differences from the Landcruiser.
It rides great, compensates height for heavier loads, and is adjustable.
The down side, if it breaks, OUCH!
I have owned both, LX and LC. The suspension is unique in that it is almost fully hydraulic. You can actually completely remove the rear coil springs and drive it with no difference.
I worked on them for years.
There are five accumulators, each can fail, each is pricey. And only use genuine Lexus fluid for the system and never allow anyone to add anything else.
Quicky lubes can destroy it in a hurry.
I loved ours, but FYI.

Mayne

Explorer
Love my 80, but it gets steep. Purchase price was $6500, but I've $18k plus into it. Granted thats a newer power train into it, but still not slight in costs.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I own (2) 80s and (1) 100. A 100 is a far better buy than any 80 right now. 80s are all 20 yers old and all need some level of overhauling. 100s are pretty bullet proof and very reliable, most were soccer mom vehicles an have seen very little off tarmac use.

Last edited:

unsung

The suspension on the LX470 is on of the biggest differences from the Landcruiser.
It rides great, compensates height for heavier loads, and is adjustable.
The down side, if it breaks, OUCH!
I have owned both, LX and LC. The suspension is unique in that it is almost fully hydraulic. You can actually completely remove the rear coil springs and drive it with no difference.
I worked on them for years.
There are five accumulators, each can fail, each is pricey. And only use genuine Lexus fluid for the system and never allow anyone to add anything else.
Quicky lubes can destroy it in a hurry.
I loved ours, but FYI.

Is it worth the difference? We won't be doing any heavy trail work just old logging roads, hitting trailheads, exploring the west. I figured a little comfort would be nice. I can still add a suspension kit, right? Nothing major just a little bit.

What are we talking price wise on these accumulators? How often do they fail? I'll be doing all PM.

nelsonmr

I'll add my 2 cents. I probably don't have the experience lots here do, but I've got a 62 and a 1997 80 with 138k miles. It's a northern truck but rust free and in good shape. I just love the look of the 80, but if cost was a concern I'd go with a 100. More comfortable and most importantly newer. For what most people use them for, camping, family outing and light 4 wheeling you'll probably be better off with the 100.

6btEX

Observer
Is it worth the difference? We won't be doing any heavy trail work just old logging roads, hitting trailheads, exploring the west. I figured a little comfort would be nice. I can still add a suspension kit, right? Nothing major just a little bit.

What are we talking price wise on these accumulators? How often do they fail? I'll be doing all PM.

They ride great. You just have way the extra cost of repairs.
The shocks are not shocks at all. They are really basically hydraulic rams. Each on is connected to an accumulator that is mounted to the frame. It has a bladder with nitrogen on one side, fluid on the other.
The bladders eventually fail. The accumulator is what absorbs the bumps. Once they rupture it rides like you have no shocks. Life span varies 100-150k miles, as long as the system doesn't get contaminated.
The fifth accumulator aids in the Low-High height settings. It is mounted in the center of the drivers frame rail.
As far as customizing it, good luck!
I towed a trailer that had too much tongue weight and the system kept shutting down.
The rear coil springs are a joke on the LX470. I took mine out by hand with no tools. I think they are only there in case of system failure.
I installed Land Cruiser springs of same year into my LX470, no worky! The accumulator needs the weight to load the bladder for it to do its job.
It rode like it had no shocks. If you have any plans for a lift, I'd stay away from the LX470.
As far as cost goes, I don't remember exactly. I want to say they were $500 each plus labor. Usually done in pairs.

unsung

Or you can just remove the system and lift away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears