Rec a Rear bumper and tire carrier for the xj

cartbart

i need a bumper recommendations for an xj every thing i have looked at has been either of poor quality like the simithbuilt, not in production anymore rigidco, or doest suit my needs. wont hold a tire and a jerry can.

any ideas ?

thanks

cartbart

im leaning toward the jcr one but im not sure its worth 14 hundred ive head mixed things about it the others wont hold ever thing i need

ryan.e.mercier

I had some of the previous generation JCR bumpers on my old Cherokee, prior to them being renamed Vanguard and all the other wacky names. They were awesome quality, had great fit and had great customer service.

cartbart

the other issue is all of them only hold the rotopax gas cans i want the jerry can mounts as the lids are lockable i know this sounds strange but ive had open non locked lids on the jerry cans and people can and will syphone the gas out of them for a free fill up

MirageMobile

Your stated requirements so far are:

Quality
Hold a tire
Hold jerry cans

What else?

The garvin supports jerry cans

The AJ rear tire carrier has jerry cans
http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/product.php?productid=17582&cat=254&page=1

Also, I would take the detours/JCR pictures to a local fabricator and see if they have a solution to adding jerry cans.

The hanson rear tire carrier has room on the driver's side for a jerry can spindle (getting out there a bit now)

cartbart

haha but for 14 hundred dollars i could just have a local fabricator build me one....

quality, hold a tire 32 inch, hold at least one 5 gallon jerry can, and hold a high lift.

cartbart

thats cool but for my tire size i would want the jerry cans lower so its not obstructing my rear view and my cg is lower

cartbart

i just emailed ajs to see if they will make me one in a full sized non cut and fold version.
any one have any experience dealing with them ?

F40

Adventurer
JCR. Make sure whatever you get uses nut strips and aux mounts. The 8 factory holes or the unibody itself will fail with that much weight on them.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I have the JCR bumper. I like it. I got mine bare but would recommend getting it powder coated or taking it to a local powder coater because it is very difficult to get inside all the little nooks and crannies with a spray can. I also mounted my license plate on the lower right with some self tappers. If you are worried about people stealing gas from you, just don't run the cans unless you are on a long trip or something and will need the extra fuel.

4xdog

Explorer
Out of production now, and never cheap, but the Kaymar (Australia) was always one of my favorites. I ran this one for fifteen years or more. They were available in dual-pillar versions for an additional carrier for fuel can, etc. The rear bumper went to a very appreciative buyer about a year ago when I finally parted with the 1988 XJ. It might give some ideas at least.

i-jzbDMk5-L.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
Lots of options for the Wrangler because of the limited space. I have a Wrangler and have had a grand in the past. I just can't see laying out the money for that style of bumper on even a Wrangler let alone a Cherokee. I suppose many who made these bumpers for Cherokees in the past found the market was not big enough, so option have become more limited. If I needed more space I would rather put the money into a trailer or roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online