Rec a Rear bumper and tire carrier for the xj

4xdog

Explorer
...I suppose many who made these bumpers for Cherokees in the past found the market was not big enough, so option have become more limited...

Availability of bumper options for the XJ are likely also affected by the fact that 2001 was the final MY for the body. The fact that there are any at all indicates the durability of the XJ and the ongoing market for accessories.

The ability to secure things inside my car and maintain the small footprint of the XJ was a big advantage of my Kaymar. It significantly increased the amount of camping gear I could protect. The bumper was also an excellent receiver hitch, high enough not to drag on departure and very strongly mounted to the rear unibody.

MOguy

Explorer
Availability of bumper options for the XJ are likely also affected by the fact that 2001 was the final MY for the body. The fact that there are any at all indicates the durability of the XJ and the ongoing market for accessories.

The ability to secure things inside my car and maintain the small footprint of the XJ was a big advantage of my Kaymar. It significantly increased the amount of camping gear I could protect. The bumper was also an excellent receiver hitch, high enough not to drag on departure and very strongly mounted to the rear unibody.

Too bad they are no longer available. That bumper setup may have worked out for cartbart.

cdn_xj

Observer
Out of production now, and never cheap, but the Kaymar (Australia) was always one of my favorites. I ran this one for fifteen years or more. They were available in dual-pillar versions for an additional carrier for fuel can, etc. The rear bumper went to a very appreciative buyer about a year ago when I finally parted with the 1988 XJ. It might give some ideas at least.

i-jzbDMk5-L.jpg

IIRC Kaymar manufactured these rear bars as a mate to the ARB front bullbar. Very nice product but, as mentioned, out of production.
AEV made a handful of very nice, stout rear bumper/tire carriers for the XJ but those too are out of production. Which is too bad because the bumper followed the lines of the OEM bumper and you could fit the OEM end caps on it.

The one issue that I've had with most aftermarket XJ tire carrier swing arms in the tendency to mount it to a spindle on top of the bumper which invariably covers the backup light and/or the turn signal.

I am currently running a rear bumper/tire carrier from Custom 4x4 Fabrications and while it is not my ideal choice (the AEV and Kaymar were my 1st and 2nd choices respectively) it (mostly) fit my criteria: it carries my 33x10.50 spare and my hi-lift. That being said, I plan to modify the swing arm to better fit my requirements (add mounting location for a pull-pal and a telescoping mast for antennae and area lighting) when I have the time.

I was thinking of modifying the swing arm to make use of AEV's fuel caddy, but the shape of the caddy requires a 17" rim and I am just not willing to go to that size.

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
Is requierment are so specific that imo it would be better to design one and have a fabricator built it.

Ex with the jk in full swing, no mather how many models out there, to me they are always a compromise. I wouls still need to have it modidied. Imagine with the xj that as been out of production for so many years.

F40

Adventurer
After 10 years with the C4X4 bumper... I repaired it, then a year later it failed along the sides. Whole bumper was sitting at a 45° angle. A 31" tire and hi-lift was just too much weight.

3C39CD66-F9B0-4934-AA43-1AD3A11F9C76_zpssi6btpcu.jpg

xjoverland99

I currently run a Smittybilt rear tire carrier. It was $750. It will hold up to a 35, has a jerry can mount and a hi lift mount. It's made of 3/16 steel. I run a 32, a 48 inch high lift, and carry a full 5 gal jerry can on trails. So far it has been great! I took it on a 200 mile pure offroad trek so bad I lost a shock bolt and blew a front shock from the unexpected rocky escarpment I had to traverse. It didn't squeak during and haven't squeak after. It's held on with the four original bolts and the three subframe hitch bolts that connect a huge bracket. That's 14 bolts plus. It has welded d ring tabs and hi lift use cut outs. It also came with with lower quarter panel rocker guards from the factory. It also has a class 3 hitch welded in and molle bag mounts. Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior