Reccomendations for Smaller Family tent.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Let me start off with please hold your thoughts until you finish reading this.

I'm not interested in bargain tents as they are huge and typically posses a bunch of unusable space.

I have a Moss (Olympic I think) tent and expect similar quality. It has lasted over 0 years and it was older when I bought it.

I might have to re read the OJ family tent comparison but really don't want anything that large.

I need to get myself, my wife, and my baby and dog in it with some gear, as the rest may be left in the 4Runner.

It needs to pack up fairly small as my current tent is just bigger than a luxury camp therma rest mattress, I prefer a 4 season as they just seem more durable.

Ok suggest on ............

PS perhaps I should keep saving for the tent trailer combo and nix the ground tent idea. :wings:
A

Cody1771

Explorer
tent trailer would be nice for a family. because then you and your wife will have your own bed and plenty of room for the kid and dog, and you wont outgrow it. as far as a tent goes i cant give much advise there. i have a small 2 person (1 comfertably lol) and then a massive 10 person tent i use for bike trips, can get 4 guys, 4 cots, 4 bikes, and all our gear inside the tent, mountain bike that is.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I'm thinking about the Kelty Green River 6 as my next family tent (me, wife, 2 kids, big dog) http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=62&id=150

At $400 I think its a step above the mass market "bargain" tents, but not break the bank expensive.

I really dig the front porch - I don't know how old your kid is, but we keep a strict "no shoes in the tent" rule and having a protected place for the kids to be able to sit down and take off and store the shoes would be great.

I currently have a smaller Kelty that I've used for back packing. I've been very impressed with the overall quality/dollar ratio. Spent 5 consecutive days with heavy rain a couple summers ago and was dry and comfy the whole time.

For full disclosure purposes though, I should tell you that the tent I'm getting ready to retire is a "bargain" tent of the first order. It's the Target "Eddie Bauer" way too big cabin tent.

I've been simply amazed at how useful this tent has been for the last 8 years. Rain, wind, sun, etc.... It's finally starting to show some wear, and I figure I got my $100 out of it, so after this weekend it may get retired. When I bought it I assumed one or two summers, but its been all over the place for a long time.

The only downside to this one has been the size, I wouldn't characterize it as unuseable space, we use every inch of it, but it is too big to pitch in a lot of more desireable areas.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Budget? What is that? there is no budget as I have no money! The tent was idea that came to me while I was pondering things (day dreaming). The trailer and tent combo should be ordered around the new year and I'm not even sure I will be camping with the new baby anytime before early spring, so I don't really know. But I figured I'd start a thread for a moderately sized (minimalist size) for a small family. I know budget plays into it but for the quality I expect I know I will have to pay.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking about the Kelty Green River 6 as my next family tent (me, wife, 2 kids, big dog) http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=8&cat=62&id=150

At $400 I think its a step above the mass market "bargain" tents, but not break the bank expensive.

I really dig the front porch - I don't know how old your kid is, but we keep a strict "no shoes in the tent" rule and having a protected place for the kids to be able to sit down and take off and store the shoes would be great.

I currently have a smaller Kelty that I've used for back packing. I've been very impressed with the overall quality/dollar ratio. Spent 5 consecutive days with heavy rain a couple summers ago and was dry and comfy the whole time.

For full disclosure purposes though, I should tell you that the tent I'm getting ready to retire is a "bargain" tent of the first order. It's the Target "Eddie Bauer" way too big cabin tent.

I've been simply amazed at how useful this tent has been for the last 8 years. Rain, wind, sun, etc.... It's finally starting to show some wear, and I figure I got my $100 out of it, so after this weekend it may get retired. When I bought it I assumed one or two summers, but its been all over the place for a long time.

The only downside to this one has been the size, I wouldn't characterize it as unuseable space, we use every inch of it, but it is too big to pitch in a lot of more desireable areas.

I'm not surprised about the quality of the EB tent, Iused to work for an outfitter and their sleeping bags gave the high dollar ones a run for their money. I've been using EB colder weather sleeping bags for about 9 years now with no complaints.

Aaron

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Sounds like your ready for a trailer build and just don't know it yet...:). I never meet a tent I didn't like with "too much room"...lol.

We started with a 3 room cabin tent (2nd hand, traded 2 used Anderson windows for it) but I always put a 10' x 20' under it and over it. Geez..that lasted for 7 years and served us more than well. We used that crap out out of it. Always kept the midle open for dressing, meals, or in inclimate weather so the girls could play all day if need be.

Time marches on and we work our way up through the trailer world..and it peaks with a V-10 Ford Lariet dually and a 26' er hard side trailer..and there was a lot to said about that..dry, bathroom, shower, and really like home...BUT (there always seems to be a but) what a pain in the balls to pack, haul, yadda, yadda, yadda.. ( that's a NY term for et., etc.) and THAT was ok...

Then last summer I saw these "off road trailer" builds these guys are doing...and it REALLY grabs my interest. Well..let's suffice to say I haven't been the same since. I did a simple, quick build, with no idea of what I was doing. Had a lot of fun and support, and really didn't break the bank. My only problem was I started back asswards...bought the RTT first before I saw the trailers...lol.

Anyway..sorry for the novel, but the possibilities with all forms of camping are endless. After the smoke cleared and everything is said and done....I have more fun in the little "chitbox" trailer I built with ALL the gear in one spot (no more of the proverbal "where's this and where's that?) then I could have ever imagined...kinda like coming full circle so to speak. The fun of a tent and the convience of the trailer...it's all there...you just don't know it's back there.

Almost all the goodies I bought on sale or CL's...used my experience as a contractor helped to finish off the rest, and as a whole it was one of the most fun things I enjoyed in a long time.

Nothing beats camping with the family and close friends.....the times you create and enjoy now will be the sounding board of all the good times and most heartfelt memories for you and your family, in the future.

If the Lord said to me right now... "I need to take you tomorrow"...what do you want to do tonight?" I guess I'd ask for one more beer around one more campfire with you..:beer::campfire:

Best of luck with your search, Pat

off.track

Adventurer
so money is no object? lol j/k

i am actually pretty impressed with kelty.. i have a small 2 men tent i picked up recently. good quality. before i used sierra design for many happy years.. just found the kelty cheap and thought i'd give it a try. so look into SD tents.. also look into convertible tents.. they can handle the 4th season and some of the perks built into them work well in the other seasons.

a few years back i bought a really nice MountainHarware 3 men tent.. highly disappointed as it had issues on the first trip.. their service was as crappy as they come.. didn't help me at all.. the tent is sitting somewhere around here in a box. so, i'd say stay away from them.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Sounds like your ready for a trailer build and just don't know it yet...:). I never meet a tent I didn't like with "too much room"...lol.

We started with a 3 room cabin tent (2nd hand, traded 2 used Anderson windows for it) but I always put a 10' x 20' under it and over it. Geez..that lasted for 7 years and served us more than well. We used that crap out out of it. Always kept the midle open for dressing, meals, or in inclimate weather so the girls could play all day if need be.

Time marches on and we work our way up through the trailer world..and it peaks with a V-10 Ford Lariet dually and a 26' er hard side trailer..and there was a lot to said about that..dry, bathroom, shower, and really like home...BUT (there always seems to be a but) what a pain in the balls to pack, haul, yadda, yadda, yadda.. ( that's a NY term for et., etc.) and THAT was ok...

Then last summer I saw these "off road trailer" builds these guys are doing...and it REALLY grabs my interest. Well..let's suffice to say I haven't been the same since. I did a simple, quick build, with no idea of what I was doing. Had a lot of fun and support, and really didn't break the bank. My only problem was I started back asswards...bought the RTT first before I saw the trailers...lol.

Anyway..sorry for the novel, but the possibilities with all forms of camping are endless. After the smoke cleared and everything is said and done....I have more fun in the little "chitbox" trailer I built with ALL the gear in one spot (no more of the proverbal "where's this and where's that?) then I could have ever imagined...kinda like coming full circle so to speak. The fun of a tent and the convience of the trailer...it's all there...you just don't know it's back there.

Almost all the goodies I bought on sale or CL's...used my experience as a contractor helped to finish off the rest, and as a whole it was one of the most fun things I enjoyed in a long time.

Nothing beats camping with the family and close friends.....the times you create and enjoy now will be the sounding board of all the good times and most heartfelt memories for you and your family, in the future.

If the Lord said to me right now... "I need to take you tomorrow"...what do you want to do tonight?" I guess I'd ask for one more beer around one more campfire with you..:beer::campfire:

Best of luck with your search, Pat

Pat that is the most sentimental post I have read! Thank you for that. Well I forgot to mention I Had a RTT that I mounted to the 4runner and while it was 2nd hand and I rebuilt most of it I decided to sell it as I would need a larger one eventually. SO I'll stick with my plan and save for the BIG RTT and a trailer to mount it on.

A

Scott Brady

Founder
I have been spending some time recently with ground tents. Both because of the moto, and using one with the Discovery. Mostly, I am finding that ground tents available today are garbage. We broke a brand-new Kelty and a brand new Eureka on the first trip.

It appears to me that tent manufactures make the mistake of trying to keep a tent used for car camping light. Why make it light? They apply the same design used for backpacking or mountaineering and just make the tent bigger - this just does not prove reliable. The poles are too weak for such a long span. The seams cannot stand the abuse and the new tents with central hubs just blow-up completely (like the Eureka).

However, I am finding a few tents that are good. For a big tent, the Nomad tents are bomber. We have the Bantu 5. It is actually a pretty big tent, but has plenty of room for a couple, kid and dog, even with some room to spare for gear and getting out of the weather.
product_bantu_5_air_1.jpg

As you want a little bit smaller tent, I bet this Makonde 4 would be sweet
product_makonde_4_1.jpg

The downside is that these tents are heavy and bit bulky to stow, and are expensive - like nice roof tent expensive. However, they are designed and built like a big tent should be.

For something a little smaller, I like the Nemo tents. I have been pretty rough on them, and so far, no failures.

This Moki is sweet
bigmoki1.jpg

Extra vestibule for the doggie :D
big15-1.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Wow I have never heard of either of those but shows what I know ...... The Moss tent is old school but not so old and the build quality is what you see from the upper end Mountain Hardware and the like. If my history is correct MSR bought Moss, Armodillo, and some other tent manufacturer and made a similar product. Now I've heard MSR Tents are quite good. I typically choose a 4 season exp. tent because usually with exp. tents the weight isn't of that of a backpackers tent. I like the looks of the Moosejaw and the nomad, the doggy sleeps inside next to me, just like at home. Another reason for the trailer mounted RTT I get tired of carrying said 60lb. doggy up the ladder and down.

A

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Personally, I didn't find the selections, styles, or criteria in the OJ article all that relevant to how my family camps. A few years ago I ordered a number of tents in the 8 to 6 person range, set them all up, and made the hard choice about what to keep, and what to return. Most of them came from REI, but there were a few from Dom's, and a couple from Cabela's. I never took any notes or photos of our little tent city project, but it was very educational.

We ended up with the REI BaseCamp 6. We have had it for... 5 years now? And it's been rock solid. I broke my first pole a few months ago, clumsily torqueing the pole without paying attention to what I was doing. Got a new one (pole) from REI for something like $5.

7fd3a851-3406-4fcb-b61d-51e6e3ad2613.jpg

08d7dde8-893c-467e-a013-f4761c8c0253.jpg

da5bedd2-6084-418f-8c74-326251bab681.jpg

Even comes in a convenient carry bag now (with shoulder straps for that short walk from the back of the SUV to the level spot in the campsite:
9e6cd24a-aff1-4680-873e-0dc7b36cb619.jpg

Features I like:
- Zipper can be operated by a 3 year old. Important in the middle of the night when its potty time!
- Large front vestible
- convienant rear vestibule (smaller, but perfect for bags of stuff you want dry and close by, but not in the tent)
- LOTS of built in storage pockets for kids items, etc...
- Good gear loft
- Strong center apex connection point for an overhead lamp
- dozens of internal connection points for clipping virtually anything to the sidewalls of the tent
- excellent ventilation compared to other tents we tested
- tall ceiling height, providing a very roomy feel, but has held up great to high winds without caving in.
- does not require staking (though it helps with the front vestibule if you can tie off to something for tension)
- front and rear doors (again, useful for midnight potty trips without disturbing others
- Enough room for family of 4 with 28" wide Thermarest style sleeping pads (this is a Basecamp 6, the Basecamp 4 will fit 2 people and dog)
- Front vestibule plenty large for a Golden Retriever, and still allow easy access into tent.
- Easy/fast to set up, particularly with 2 people. My 5 year old daughter and I can do it no problem.
- Good poles, good seams, durable construction
- Excellent rain fly. Has withstood racquetball size hail, and many a high alpine thunder/wind/rain storm.
- Easy to fold up again, it ALWAYS fits back in the bag no problem.
- And its worth repeating, an easy to operate zipper. Some tent zippers put abnormal stress in certain points, which means small children can't open them, which means they will blow out the zipper as they wriggle through the too-small-opening.

Here is a photo to put it into scale:
523252092_YVgeM-XL.jpg

My friend recently got the Basecamp4 and it's just the same, but smaller. Here they are side by side. The left hand one is the Basecamp 4:
624114193_m4XCi-XL.jpg

Another shot of the Basecamp 4, that I borrowed for my son and I on the Rubicon trip recently:
597825131_uX6am-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
After our last trip I had to retire our Coleman. There was a little incident with the lantern that put a nice little hole in it and it was about 14 years old anyway. It measured out to be about '8x'8 and I was comfortable with the size. I am '6"5 and not really looking for something I can stand up in, that is about impossible nor a necessity anyway.

Well I can get a fantastic deal (like %50 off) on a Eureka and am leaning towards one of theirs for obvious reasons. After seeing a Camping Labs RTT in action on our trip last month though I would realy like to step up to that but I don't think its in the budget for a couple years yet. That is a pretty impressive setup IMO.

Any Eurekas recommended? We will be getting a more "tent friendly" lantern too.

I run an Eureka! Assault Outfitter 4 tent. Unbelievably awesome. I should one day actually take pics, but this thing is massive, comfortably fitting 4 adults + a vestibule area for gear.

67.jpg

MSRP is $350, but I think I found it for $250 or so, was 4 years ago, so can't remember exactly. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior