Reccomendations for Smaller Family tent.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
The first thing that popped into my mind after reading your 1st post was the REI Base Camp series.

My last 3 tents (going back 10 years) have all been REI tents, and they're ALL still in great shape. I've upgraded over the years as my needs and desires have changed, but I can't bring myself to part with perfectly good tents. REI has great warranty / return policies (if you're a Co-op member).

Also - You can go to any REI, and pull any tent(s) you want, and set it up in the store.

rynosurf

Adventurer
x2 on the Basecamp 6. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. It is rated as a 3 season tent but it would probably be fine in the snow, the fly has a lot of tie down spots if you really need to batten down the hatches. The large vestibule is also big enough for your dog to sleep in if he is too filthy to come inside.

muskyamigo

I find that a person can go cheap on many things when camping, especially car camping. The tent is one area its worth it to get a better product.

I've beeen using my REI Basecamp 4 for a few years now with good luck. Its been on several windy trips to Moab Utah, countless trips to northern MN and WI in conditions ranging from perfect to snowing. I've beeen more than pleased with the tent. We've been using this tent for my wife and me and our two midsized dogs with room to spare. Next year my son will be ready to go camping, and I'll probably still be using the tent.

When its just me or me and the dogs I take my old Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2. That tent has endured many of the same conditions plus several winter camping trips in northern MN. If I had the 3 person version of that tent I probably wouldn't have the Basecamp, but I would be shopping now. Its tight for 2 but tolerable if you don't try to store too much in the tent.

I've also used a variety of other tents, including a generic version of the Eureka A-frames. It was nice and roomy but after it blew down for the third time in one night it mostly gets loaned out to other people who want to borrow a tent.

-Mike W

go4aryd

Adventurer
x2 on the Basecamp 6. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. It is rated as a 3 season tent but it would probably be fine in the snow, the fly has a lot of tie down spots if you really need to batten down the hatches. The large vestibule is also big enough for your dog to sleep in if he is too filthy to come inside.

The Basecamp is great - as is the Sierra Designs Bedouin series. Tons of room, quality construction, and a top notch rain fly&vestible. This is the right time of year to be looking for a good tent and a great price.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
XCMountain80-

I've been using the Cowboy Range Tent from David Ellis for years now. Real easy to set up - pound in 4 corner stakes and raise the A-frame. I can set it up by myself in about 10 minutes or less.

http://www.cowboycamp.net/cowboy_range.htm

I have the 10'X10' size, and there's room for a big bedroll, 3-4 Action Packers, a duffle bag, 3-4 flats of water, and an Engel frig, with (a little) room left over to move around. I like the fact that I can stand up inside of it, and even cook inside if necessary. These types of tents also perform very well in high winds.

I upgraded to this size about 2 years ago, and it still looks like new (aside from a few dirt stains.) My work keeps me in the field about 3 weeks a month, so my tent sees some use.

Good Luck in your search,

Key-Lock

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
XCMountain80-

I've been using the Cowboy Range Tent from David Ellis for years now. Real easy to set up - pound in 4 corner stakes and raise the A-frame. I can set it up by myself in about 10 minutes or less.

http://www.cowboycamp.net/cowboy_range.htm

I have the 10'X10' size, and there's room for a big bedroll, 3-4 Action Packers, a duffle bag, 3-4 flats of water, and an Engel frig, with (a little) room left over to move around. I like the fact that I can stand up inside of it, and even cook inside if necessary. These types of tents also perform very well in high winds.

I upgraded to this size about 2 years ago, and it still looks like new (aside from a few dirt stains.) My work keeps me in the field about 3 weeks a month, so my tent sees some use.

Good Luck in your search,

Key-Lock

How does it stand up to weather? Rain, snow, yada yada yada. My wife and I left GA once because a tropical storm decided to visit us for a week.

A

DGarman

What could go wrong?
How does it stand up to weather? Rain, snow, yada yada yada. My wife and I left GA once because a tropical storm decided to visit us for a week.

A

About 4-5 years ago I was in Cody, WY when they were having tornadoes in Central Wyoming. I had my previous Range Tent set up and the winds were blowing at 60 mph for most of the night. I didn't get much sleep because of the flapping, but the tent held up fine.

As far as snow goes, if you shove on the inside of each wall every once in a while, it'll knock off any accumulated snow.

Rain is not a problem, it just runs right off.

I forgot to mention before that the tent, stakes, and poles pack into a bag that's about 12" dia. x 40" long (more or less).

Hope that helps.

fowldarr

Explorer
Similar to a story posted earlier I ran a "too big" from a "big box" store tent for several years with my family, I think it slept 12, and cost a little over $100. I think it lasted for 5 years, well worth the money, then the zippers died. So we went shopping, and didn't find anything we liked/could afford when we were shopping. We were still in Idaho at the time, and they decided to close the local sportsman's warehouse. We went over there on one of the last days, and on the bottom of a pile of stuff, was the corner of a box, I slid it out and it was the last remaining tent, happened to be a Kelty Mesa 6. We haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but I got it for $50.00, and will be using it a lot this summer as we explore our new basecamp of Nebraska.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
My wife and I used to use my dad's monstrous Cabelas Alaknak2 deluxe while he always had either the toyhauler or Rv, yeah i know he is a weenie in his older age lol. now that he no longer has either he will always be using it and for us it was really just to heavy and bulky anyways. So with the addition of our daughter (who is wearing a rough terrain shirt today) we find ourselves looking at tents as well. I want something to stand up to the elements - rain and snow, breath, and room for the 2 of us and the kido and the dog. Almost thinking of the big agnes flying diamond 6. looks to have sufficient room, seperated for when Sierra gets older and can sleep seperatly, and of course I hate tents that I can not stand in. also looking at the cabelas extreme teepee but not thrilled with the center pole design. the alaknak worked well but then again it had square corners so the air mattress fit perfect.
Anyone ever have any experience with these two tents?

Last edited:

Sawyer

Adventurer
For a big tent, the Nomad tents are bomber.

Wow1: Those are nice!!!! Anyone seen the Snow Peak Land Lock In person? Is the quality worth the price tag? Looking to replace a Big Agnes with something that is going to last for a long time.

http://www.snowpeak.com/shelters/tents/land-lock-tp-670.html

Anyone ever have any experience with these two tents?
I know your post is old... but here are my thoughts. I have had the Flying Diamond 8 for a little over a year. There are so many things that both we love about it. However, I am not sold on the quality. It is alrady showing signs of wear in the rain fly where it sits on the poles. I think it is from being exposed to high wind and sand. Just looks like it is going to tear before too long. I will probably return it to REI or at least exchange it and give it another chance. I havnt decided yet. Like I said, I really like the tent. I am just sure it is going to last.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I've come full circle so to speak as I do that from time to time. I have a m416 trailer in resto mode right now, I bought a pop up camper for $450 (good shape, tows well and fairly small), I sold my Moss tent on eBay, and now have no tent but do have a pop up. So I'm sort of not screwed, but never envisioned myself as a pop up camper kinda guy, I do have a 13.5 month old and will beginning camping as soon as it cools down. I want to get a BIG RTT from camping lab to mount to the trailer but am still on the fence. I considered fro a second the OZ Tent after sitting in my office and reading OJ and seeing the advertisement. This would fill one need but perhaps create a void somewhere in the universe of my life. Thoughts?

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior