Recommendations for synthetic winch line

brasskey

Observer
I have a new Warn PowerPlant HD and I want to go ahead and replace the cable line with synthetic line. The stock cable is 80' of 3/8" and it's rated for 12,000 lbs. Will you all give me some recommendations? Thanks.

bmonday

Adventurer
I have an x-line on my winch currently, but if I had to do it over again I would buy from these guys: http://www.winchline.com/

I called them up and asked them to recommend a replacement for my x-line, since it's been out in the sun a bit more than I'd like, and they actually said that my line was still good and didn't yet need replacing. I'm a sucker for good customer service.

Heard nothing but good things about their winchlines too. Make sure you get a winchline made of Amsteel "Blue", whatever you do. Some cheap winchlines are using the cheaper (and weaker, more abrasion-prone) Amsteel.

BMonday

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Mine is a winchline.com model but I purchased it from Sierra Expeditions. As always, great service from Wil and Wendy.

Consider the safety thimble instead of a hook. My current line has it and I couldn't be happier.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I like the added safety of the thimble. Slide a shackle through it and it's secured to your anchor point, whether that be a tree strap or otherwise. The connection is solid and there is no chance of a hook slipping.

For snatch blocks, there are a number of good brands. The new ARB 9000 Snatch Block is a thing of beauty. (reminds me that I need to visit Jan to pick mine up!) Snatch blocks are heavy units and the 9000 is only about $10 more and half the weight.

Pete

brasskey

Observer
I like the added safety of the thimble. Slide a shackle through it and it's secured to your anchor point, whether that be a tree strap or otherwise. The connection is solid and there is no chance of a hook slipping.

For snatch blocks, there are a number of good brands. The new ARB 9000 Snatch Block is a thing of beauty. (reminds me that I need to visit Jan to pick mine up!) Snatch blocks are heavy units and the 9000 is only about $10 more and half the weight.

Pete

Thank you. That makes sense. I guess I could always get a hook and put it on the thimble if I wanted one.

I will check out the ARB 9000.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I've had bad luck with Amsteel Blue. I've had great luck with MasterPull. Syn. winchline is not all the same. You do get what you pay for.

chuck45

Observer

Pete

I agree on the use of the safety thimble; it imposes upon you the discipline of using a shackle.

As to Snatch blocks I also think the ARB 9000 is the pickof the litter. Its break rating is 38,500 pounds. I carry two of them.

I got the synthetic rope for my Warn PP, and also my 50 ft extension, from Thor at Winchline. As to MasterPul I don't get the warm fuzzies from them. I did order my SuperYanker from them and also ordered some shackles. I was very specific that I didn't want Chinese shackles - I got sent Chinese shackles. I was so pissed I threw them away. I also have heard that MasterPul plays games with their line ratings so I don't trust their numbers. Their wonderline, which is supposedly heated and stretched, is also stiffer than the line sold by winchline and others and suffers more deterioration on side pulls. When I talk to Thor at Winchline I feel I get good info; when I talk to the guy at MasterPul I get the feeling I'm talking to a salesman and being sold a bill of goods.

luk4mud

Explorer
You may also wish to check out customsplice.com for Amsteel Blue. Good price and a nice guy based in Oklahoma I believe.

brasskey

Observer
Okay, I went with a Viking winch line with safety thimble through Sierra Expeditions. Thank you to all for the help. One other question I have is regarding replacing the old cable line. I just pulled it off and the drum is littered with metal shavings from the cable. Is there any special way I should clean/prepare the drum or should I just wipe it off as best I can and try to remove all the metal before spooling in the synthetic line? Thanks.

chuck45

Observer
Okay, I went with a Viking winch line with safety thimble through Sierra Expeditions. Thank you to all for the help. One other question I have is regarding replacing the old cable line. I just pulled it off and the drum is littered with metal shavings from the cable. Is there any special way I should clean/prepare the drum or should I just wipe it off as best I can and try to remove all the metal before spooling in the synthetic line? Thanks.

From what I know the drum has to be pretty smooth. I'd wipe the drum off first and depending what was left I'd get some strips of emory paper or crocus cloth and start "shoe shining" the drum. I'd want strips about 36" long and 1" to 2" wide. If it's real bad I'd start with course and then go to medium. To get complet coverage you'll abviously have to turn the drum a time or too.

One other thing to look at is your rollers, asuming you have a roller fairlead. They can often be damaged by cable and have to be smooth also. If they are damaged a little the above trick will work. If a lot replace the fairlead or the rollers. If you replace it I'd get another roller as it is easier on the rope than a Hawse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior