Red_5's shakedown cruise

red_5

Adventurer
Here are a couple of pics from the shakedown cruise. No trouble other than the coupler bolts needing some loctite.

Just a couple of pics for now, I though I had more set up, I'll post 'em I can find 'em.

Conquerorshakedown110Medium.jpg

Conqueror2Medium.jpg

Conqueror1Medium.jpg

Last edited:

red_5

Adventurer
We weren't able to spend the night unfortunately. It was a day trip to see what would fall off.

Daddy was up until 2:30 AM Sunday getting beat up by the wiring..... I won though :sombrero:

I've been wrenching like mad all week after work to get everything ready for this coming weekend and the first campout with the new set up.

I'm at about 95% now. Went to the DMV this morning and had the good fortune of getting a like-minded fellow at the counter who thought the trailer pretty neat, and left with a lic plate.

Went over everything with a wrench, new tires on the ground (the spare wasn't the original and looked pretty fresh), Flushed the water tanks and ran around with some chlorinated water on board for a day, gave the whole trailer a pretty good cleaning.

I have a little surface rust in a few spots that were rattled-rattle canned at some point to deal with properly. Having a hard time finding a good match for the paint though. Krylon 'Appliance Epoxy' white is close but not quite white enough to be an exact match.

We'll be picking up a new mattress tomorrow that a local mattress mfg is building us. 2" high density base with 3" memory foam on top, cut to the same dimensions as the original and a hinged, water resistant cover. :sombrero:

I managed to round up a couple of propane tanks as well as a hose for our stove and grill. Getting those filled on the way home.

Whew! I'll need the rest this weekend for certain....

:1888fbbd:

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We'll be picking up a new mattress tomorrow that a local mattress mfg is building us. 2" high density base with 3" memory foam on top, cut to the same dimensions as the original and a hinged, water resistant cover. :sombrero:
Tell me more:
How'd you locate a manufacturer? Cost? Who's making the cover?
I was looking at Ikea futons but none were quite right ---- and like I was telling you previously, I've been using a stacked mishmash of camping mats....

red_5

Adventurer
Having some technical issues with my camera, so no pics yet.... :(

The camping trip was a success though. We ended up sleeping 'downstairs' on an air mattress as our new foam mattress/cover wasn't ready in time.

It was a whole bunch easier to get ready to go and once there, get the camp set up. Packing up for the ride home was about 400% easier thanks to being able to put all our gear in Rubbermaid tubs and stow in the trailer vs trying pack it all in the back/on top of the Xterra.

I'll get a pic or two posted up once I figure out the problem with the camera. :p

red_5

Adventurer
Here are a couple of pics from the shakedown run. We elected to go to an established, but somewhat remote campground so we could meet up with the wife's parents. It's a rather nice place, right next to a small lake and far enough out in the dirt to make it interesting.

The Compact worked great. Set up camp in 15 minutes or so and got to spend the rest of the day goofing off.

Took about 30 minutes to pack up once we were ready to go the next day. I used some Rubbermaid tubs to pack things in and we just put stuff back in the tubs when we were done with it. It was so much easier and faster than packing it all in/on the truck in every crack and corner. Not to mention way more comfortable.

The Compact has turned out to be the ideal setup for us.

9-6-09087Medium.jpg

9-6-09090Medium.jpg

9-6-09091Medium.jpg

A creek nearby

Creek1.jpg

No pics of the lake. Camera (or operator) malfunction.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78