Redeth's Overland Trailer Build

Redeth005

Adventurer
Maybe it's me but the last two comments of photos are not showing up. Says photos not found

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's weird, i just tried viewing it with 2 different browsers (google chrome & Explorer) and it works fine on my computer.

Redeth005

Adventurer
why are you going with such a huge thickness for everything?
Not everything. The only things I went thick with were the axle and tongue. The guy at the trailer supply store told me to use 1/4" for building the axle in order to build it to a 3500# capacity because the 3/16" tube tends to bend on people after they take any weight. And my local steel store only sells that size by the 20ft only. So I kinda got stuck with the the rest of the stick since I only used about 50". And rather then buy another steel stick of a different Guage I just used some of what I had left for the tongue. Everything else has just been 16 Guage though.

Redeth005

Adventurer
why not 1x1 for framing instead of 2x2

this thing is gonna be a monster weight wise

because it was my first time ever taking on a trailer project. I didn't know any better but if I could take it back I would have gone and bought 1×1. that was just my fault in the initial drawing of design for the trailer. oh well lesson learned now I gotta deal with the monster weight like you said. Lol

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Fair enough. was just seeing if there was something i missed lol

for what you have and level, i think you are doing great :) Keep it up

toyotech

Expedition Leader
That's weird, i just tried viewing it with 2 different browsers (google chrome & Explorer) and it works fine on my computer.

It's me than Cuz I can see any of your photos now lol. I have click on where the im,age would be and Togo the link to view them. I'm on a iPad Air and using tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redeth005

Adventurer
Hit up the steel shop last weekend with my dad and when i got back I found my dad showing off my truck to another customer talking about the stuff I do when i rock crawl and the hits my bumpers take that him and I built together. Lol

I kept a distance and was left like Aww! That's my dad! You tell'em!" Let me get a picture.

Now that the holidays are off i can begin the build again. December is just filled with so many family birthdays and holidays i barely got any weekends to work on the trailer.

One small thing i tackled last weekend was the water tank holder.
I started by using 2"x2" 90* angle pieces

once the steel cooled a bit the spacing got more narrow then i wanted just slightly lol. I had to bang it out with a hammer and that seemed to fix the issue.

This is what the clearance will be from the bottom of the main storage compartment. Just a few inches but its perfect. I was considering using the 3" body lift spacers after all just in case the water tank ever broke on a trip. at least i would be able to remove it vs if the compartment was welded into place. Still debating on how i will do it but we will see.

I figured the tank would have a possibility of sliding back and forth on those rails so i decided to add anothere 2x2 90* piece just to keep it in one spot.

Had to torch out some holes so i could install the hose line inputs

Once i was satisfied i welded it all into place

But i was still a little nervous about the underbelly of the tank. If this is going to be an offroad trailer i feared the tank would get smacked by rocks lifting up from the trail ground. and since the water tank is plastic i feared it would break too easily. So i added 16guage sheet metal (maybe 18ga i cant remember) by doing this it would keep it a little more safe from underneath.

welded it in place. now i can stand on the thing and it supports all 244 pounds of my weight lol if it can support me while jumping up and down i'm sure it can hold 15 gallons with no problem.

-------------------------------

Another thing i did was put caps on the ends of those rectangular tubes for the main compartment. And added more tube for the refrigerator compartment to separate the 2 parts from the inside. I will be building a slide out for the refrigerator on this part.

Redeth005

Adventurer
I forgot to post this pic from my birthday weekend last month from Dec 11- Dec 13 at Big Bear Ca. We had a blast snow boarding at Snow Summit at staying at this small warm cottage for the weekend. Although there wasn't any off-roading or rock crawling it was still fun trying to drive in the streets without chains and just having 4x4/lockers for the first time lol

Anyway now that the holiday season is done i can finally get back to this trailer build. I should be starting back up next weekend. I wanna get the main trailer boxes made and mounted onto the trailer so i can get back to working on the heater shower system. I'll probably order the locking trailer door latches today so i can make the doors at least for the smaller front compartment.

Hope you all had a great holiday season.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Im sure you thought about it

But how do you plan on filling the tank more than half way?

That tank should be vertical not horizontal

Redeth005

Adventurer
Just a quick little update. I ordered these trailer compartment door latches on sunday from Ebay from seller "DiscountTrailerSupply". and they finally arrived today.

I liked this particular one because it was a steel finish. it wasn't stainless. This means I have more freedom to mount this where i want it whether it is Weld/Rivot/Screw/ or Bolt on

All i gotta say is that they feel really beefy. I was afraid they would be cheap but i was wrong they are anything but cheap. I like the fact they were the paddle style latch too. the "T-Handle" type just seem like they would come out whenever they want and i didn't want them getting snagged on anything on the trailer so this seemed more practical for me.

The part that holds the door in the locked position when closed looks like it is cast steel.

Here is that paddle part in action

The overall dimensions are: 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" x 1-5/8" deep
Fits into 3-3/8" x 4-5/8" hole.

I bought 5 of these. 2 for the front compartment (1 for each side: the heated shower and tent heater side) and on the opposite side i will have the fuse boxes, batteries, solar stuff and inverter. Then 1 for the front door of the large compartment which will be the door for the Fridge freezer, And the 4th and 5th ones are going to be used for the large wide rear door and ill have one on each of the sides.

Each is $12.99 with 5.99 s&h. But if you buy more you can have each additional one added on the same package for $1 more on shipping rather then paying $6 each to ship each one individually. I saved a few bucks.

If you're curious on looking into buying something like this here is the website where you can find it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Tru...hash=item258427e628:m:mO5MjebRLVIwRNnW1DR-FkQ

And if you want a smaller version i would probably go with this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Tru...hash=item258427eda3:m:mxJZrvVT3GmDqEWqSHxhUrw

Both are really neat products.

My only complaint about the one i bought is the lock. They are pretty cheap locks. And i definitely plan on swapping the locks on all 5 of them out to make sure stuff is secure inside of the trailer.

I am hoping to get to work on the front compartment this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it completely by Sunday and have the larger compartment floor started as well. The larger compartment will take a bit longer since I want to build a slide out type of drawer for the fridge/freezer cooler using old skateboard bearings. To do that I'll have to start with the floor part then weld on the walls and roof of it together.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior