??? Restored Land Cruiser 80 Series Interest???

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Just throwing a feeler question out there for some feedback to see if anyone would have any interest in restored / refreshed Land Cruiser 80 Series trucks???

fowldarr

Explorer
I think that depends on a lot of things. What do you mean by "restored" and what do you mean by "refreshed"? Do you have examples of your work? What price point are you hoping to make?

As a whole, I would say that it is a pretty niche market. They are not old enough to be collectible, and usually for the price of a nicely restored one you are into solid 100 or even 200 series territory pricewise.

Would I be interested? Yes.

Would I be likely to pay a premium for it? Not at this point in my life, but maybe later.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I think there will definitely be a market for great shape 80's in the future. Just not now. TLC charges a lot of capital for their stuff and they look great. I've seen several of their examples and while neat, they are not 'restored' per say. It would be easy for a concours judge to pick them apart while a Land Cruiser enthusiast would very much love the result. The difference between the two perspectives has me question the prices.

It is not hard to make money on a car - pull the interior, paint the wheel wells, axel / diff housings and other under pinning black, detail the exterior, replace the carpet, clean everything the eye sees in the interior - seat belt releases etc, scrub the plastic trim, replace the shift boots and knobs with new units - same for turn stalks if needed, new windshield and a careful headliner cleaning will make any car look amazing.

Then there is the mechanical. Baseline, steam clean, have everything working perfectly. This, as you well know, can be simple or it can be a nightmare. Buying right makes the difference.

So, then what do you have? A very nice looking 80 that trips a lot of triggers for an 80 fan. Is is 'restored'? Not even close. How much time and money will it take to do the above? Plenty - certainly a lot of time too. All this means you may be able to ask a small premium for the car to recover your efforts and maybe buy a nice dinner. But with so many still great examples of 80's and the somewhat better cared for (generality) LX450's I think you would have a rig that would sell more quickly than your neighbors untouched rig, but that is about it.

Give it 10 years and everything changes.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I see the demand for 80's going down... people are starting to relize that for MOST the 100 series will do everything they want with a lot more to offer for the price.

Disclaimer - I own both

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Great comments everyone.

I have a weakness for the 80 to say the least, and have thought about restoring the one I have since I bought it in stock form without seeing it in person and although I didn't pay much for it I would have looked for a different one that was in better shape.

I have tried to like the 100, but just can't seem to. I spent a few weeks in a 105 and I'm down with that but we all know that won't happen. So based on current 100 pricing for a 2004 or newer with less than 100k miles it looks like one could be had for $30k. So hear is how I would guess at some price comparison.

2006 100 series with less than 80k miles
truck $35000

1997 80 Series
Truck $5500
motor rebuild w/ labor $8500
Tranny & Case $4500
Paint $6500
Front & rear axle service all new Toyota parts from hub to hub $4000
Replace as needed interior parts w/ labor for disassemble with paint $5500

Total $34500 If my guess is close???

I put some time in for labor but not to do it all.

Additional mods - lift, lockers, gears, tires, wheels in my case, bumpers, roof rack, misc wiring and interior mods. Approx $18000

So my thought would be to end up with a made to order 80 series, configured how each individual would spec it. Color, motor, lift, and additional mods. Running gear would be all new and attention paid to areas for that particular truck.

So... Would I pay $60000 for an unmodified and mostly restored 80??? NOPE!!!

Would I pay $60000 for a made to order restored and modified 80??? YES!!!

Can it be done for $60k??? Probably would cover all the parts, may not cover full shop rates for the labor.

sseaman

Adventurer
I loved my 80, but no way I would spend tht kind of money for one. Half the fun is doing the work yourself or with friends

Rubiclone

Observer
holy moly, i bought my gas one for 3500 bucks, rebuilt all bearings, seals everything that would have KMs on it, and it has lockers from the factory, put a diesel engine in it, bought new seats all for about 15,000 additional. no way would i pay 60,000 for a gas one.

Klierslc

Explorer
If a low mileage original is only going for 15-20k, there is no way you are going to get people to pay 60k.

Now, if at that price point, you offered a diesel engine and manual trans, then maybe. Or, if you offered it with a turbo or some other means of getting significantly better mileage.

hieronymus

Adventurer
If someone would offer me 60k for my manual turbo diesel intercooler HDJ80 I'd quit my job tomorrow........

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
holy moly, i bought my gas one for 3500 bucks, rebuilt all bearings, seals everything that would have KMs on it, and it has lockers from the factory, put a diesel engine in it, bought new seats all for about 15,000 additional. no way would i pay 60,000 for a gas one.

What engine did you put in? Was it a difficult conversion? I have a FZJ80 and could possibly consider this conversion in the future...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I see the demand for 80's going down... people are starting to relize that for MOST the 100 series will do everything they want with a lot more to offer for the price.

Disclaimer - I own both

I disagree. I don't think the "demand" has gone down. I think folks are picking up 100's instead because they "can't find low-mileage 80's in great shape any longer". The demand from the wheeling community for a cherry 80-series is still going strong...just many are dissapointed cause they can't find one. I have one...and we decided this weekend that our built-up LX450 with only 137,000 miles will be going on sale and almost ASAP.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
2006 100 series with less than 80k miles
truck $35000

1997 80 Series
Truck $5500
motor rebuild w/ labor $8500
Tranny & Case $4500
Paint $6500
Front & rear axle service all new Toyota parts from hub to hub $4000
Replace as needed interior parts w/ labor for disassemble with paint $5500

Total $34500 If my guess is close???

where are those figures coming from!!?

8500 for a REBUILT engine? 4000 axle service? 6500 paint job!!?

No way jose...

Rubiclone

Observer
What engine did you put in? Was it a difficult conversion? I have a FZJ80 and could possibly consider this conversion in the future...

Dont really want to hijack the thread, but i put in a 1hd-t. I was able to get my hands on a complete JDM for around 7000 so it made the swap easier. The swap of all the physical items needed is easy. but the electrical is the pain. Brought it to a local landcruiser shop and getting them to do the electrical work for the conversion made the most sense to me.

TwinCruiser

Observer
IMO, I wouldn't want a "restored" 80.

What fun would that be? An 80 for me is a utilitarian vehicle.

One you load up with gear, wheel it and not worry if it gets a little scratch or a dirty undercarriage.

Yes, you want the mechanicals to be in pristine condition...but the rest, who cares.

My 80 is not a DD...it was purchased to facilitate family camping trips and occasional wheeling.

That being said, it is really clean for almost being 20.

CopyofMyakkaRiverMemorialDay2011068.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears