richard310's 04 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Richard, that looks awesome now that it's carpeted! Really awesome work you did there. The patches add a lot as well.

Two thumbs up!

Longrange308

Adventurer
Awesome job Richard. It looks really clean. I like it. I have been thinking about building something like this once I get a nice camper shell for the truck. Something that I can easily remove and hoist up against the ceiling of the garage when not needed.

This is the best idea of a design I have come up with yet for my needs.

eec35b764eb4dd25f4a9a7822d256a29.jpg

Sent from my mobile communicator device.

richard310

pew pew
Excellent!

You should see my headliner now :D I'm getting patches in lieu of stickers nowadays. I keep a roll of the rough Velcro in the glove box for when I get new patches.

My headliner is getting filled with patches as well! I'm on a collecting/buying binge. It's a disease! :sombrero:

richard310

pew pew
Awesome job Richard. It looks really clean. I like it. I have been thinking about building something like this once I get a nice camper shell for the truck. Something that I can easily remove and hoist up against the ceiling of the garage when not needed.

This is the best idea of a design I have come up with yet for my needs.

eec35b764eb4dd25f4a9a7822d256a29.jpg

Sent from my mobile communicator device.

Thanks Michael! That's a pretty well crafted drawer system in that Taco. I'm looking forward to seeing your F150 build. :)

richard310

pew pew
Joined a few friends out near Gorman at Kings Campground December 5-6.

I got to play with a newly picked up Coleman Triton two burner stove. A pretty nicely setup stove for the price. The knobs are easily set from simmer to boil and they hold their positions as well. The slimmer profile of the overall size is nice as it tucks away into my storage area neatly.

richard310

pew pew
Got some recovery gear to button down that drawer, and some other items to prepare for a 5-day Death Valley trip this Christmas weekend.

Two 7/8" Shackles
ARB 8000kg Snatch Strap
ARB Tire Repair Kit
Quick Fists Small and Large

Front Runner double jerry can mount on custom roof mounts, so now I can lug around 4 jerry cans for a total extra 20 gallons of fuel. I found some scrap metal at the shop to fab up some simple quick mounts to adapt to the OEM rack basket area. Used some 1/8" steel as the S-brackets and 1"x2" aluminum tube with 1/8" walls as the cross bars all bolted together since the welder wasn't in.:

Two TRED 1100s for quick recovery when getting stuck. I've had 3 instances of getting dug in, in soft sand and having open diffs doesn't help the case either. These should take care of that.

I also finished off the cargo system with a removable bridging deck:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Those are some cool new goodies! Have you used the TREDs yet? I've been looking at them vs MaxTrax.

Good to see you're still putzing around in the SW. Haven't had an update in a while!

richard310

pew pew
Those are some cool new goodies! Have you used the TREDs yet? I've been looking at them vs MaxTrax.

Good to see you're still putzing around in the SW. Haven't had an update in a while!

I have not used them yet. I'm possibly hoping to use them next weekend and see how well they fare. The seem okay in hand, but actual testing will show the reality of course. I just couldn't justify the doubled price of the Trax, but I read they are made of better materials which do hold up better than the Treds.

The Xterra is still kicking and I'm still able to find whatever time I have to go out into the mountains/deserts. I'll have a crap ton of photos next weekend as I'm going to Death Valley for 5 days. Should be a blast :)

Jayrat

The Rig looks awesome , I like the custom storage. Very nice work
I'm slowly trying to creating an Xterra Overland Rig.

richard310

pew pew
The Rig looks awesome , I like the custom storage. Very nice work
I'm slowly trying to creating an Xterra Overland Rig.

It's definitely come a long way since purchasing the rig two years ago. I'm definitely enjoying the cargo area as it's got room for everything that I need on trips nicely tucked away and room for other accessary items on the outside. Still though only room for two people and their things. Add another couple and you're struggling to fit their things in.

I've always liked the 2nd gens like you've got but I've just lost faith in Nissan. It's time for me to move on. The X has been a solid performer as of recent but I'm yearning for more modernity and a more efficient, more powerful, power plant. The Colorado Diesel has put itself as #1 on my map for next year and I've already gotten the green light once I'm ready. In the meantime, I'll be reading reviews for first gen critters that always pop up.

^^^^That^^^^ ..... Nicely done!

:) thanks. I've been enjoying the Patrol you've got in the other thread. Such a wonderful place for a rig to be in. How are you liking the Bighorns?

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
Just looked through all 77 pages the past 2 days and I think my favorite part (besides the pics) is that you understood extra maintenance comes with the territory and just fixed what was broken. Most would throw their arms up in the air and "try" cut their losses. I can relate since I'm the same way and have so much money into my rig that I might as well keep it forever at this point:sombrero:

Patrollife

Explorer
:) thanks. I've been enjoying the Patrol you've got in the other thread. Such a wonderful place for a rig to be in. How are you liking the Bighorns?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Richard! Your cargo area is giving me some great ideas to borrow from, so I appreciate your sharing of the photos. Re: the Bighorns, so far so good. These are my third set of M/Ts and they are the quietest out of brands I've tried, while still maintaining that aggressive look. From what I researched on the Patrol4x4 Forum and GQ Facebook groups, the Bighorns have good reviews with the Patrol. I think, too, the 35s change the game a bit getting them off-road, just like increasing from 31s to 33s do, so I'm excited to put them to the test. I've got a 9-day overland trip planned to Peten, where the Mayan ruins are, at the end of this month and will be doing some serious trekking through the jungle. From what I hear, the tracks are pretty muddy with some good river crossings, so the 35s will certainly come in handy for added clearance. Anyway, that was a long answer to a short question. Keep up the great work! Loving the details with your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears