RKS Off-Road Motive Trailer

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

This is really a very innovative rig and I have been a fan of RKS from the get go. But now I am totally confused by the pricing. First they came out with a M19 single axel and the M19HD duel axel. Now the M19 is gone and we have the M19HD and the M22. This review I believe is talking about the M22. I assume it's 22 foot box as apposed to a 19 foot box. It appears to have all the top of the line components of the M19 HD. Many videos and dealers on the Motive M19HD state it is 93k and more for solar and battery upgrades. This post states $49,999. Thier square top Purpose trailer is 60k. Even a Facebook post by RKS says they start at 54k. So they are either selling a M22 that is stripped and basically a cargo trailer or someone is smoking something that is impairing their ability to type.

Someone should clarify this. Tony with RV traveler mentions nothing about a stripped down cargo trailer. Only talks about all the awesome components of the Motive then posts cost at 49,900. (Lame) Then RKS posts his review on thier page. I can imagine how all the folks who are getting excited about a Motive are going to feel when 49.9k goes up to 93k. Maybe I am wrong and they decided to drop cost by 43k.

Treefarmer

I think they are going to a new pricing model where they offer a basic, no frills model for people who want to do their own build and then endless options for people to add as they want that could easily drive the price up to six figures (especially on the M22). They have some really innovation design features, but I am skeptical about their solid axle suspension. It also looks like The focus from now is the on an HD19 and M22.

I think they are going to a new pricing model where they offer a basic, no frills model for people who want to do their own build and then endless options for people to add as they want that could easily drive the price up to six figures (especially on the M22). They have some really innovation design features, but I am skeptical about their solid axle suspension. It also looks like The focus from now is the on an HD19 and M22.

Totally agree with you but boy it's all about as clear as mud on price and different models coming and going. Do you know if the Motive line is on thier awesome Aluminum chassis?

Treefarmer

The chassis is aluminum. They are definitely the most innovative all US-made trailer out there right now in terms of design, materials and manufacturing quality. We're not looking to rock crawl or do extreme overlanding like most of the people on the forum, but we do want a trailer capable for full time living (ie., a little larger than most folks here)) that can get out and further away from the other conventional boondockers. Because of that, the solid axle suspension might be OK for us. The Motive rides at a 20" clearance like the Xplore on max lift. I wish the Motive would use a suspension solution similar to the Xplore. They are both solid axle, but the Xplore has designed their axles to raise and lower together within the frame (12" to 20"). The suspensions on both brands will handle washboard, bumps, washouts, etc. in the same "rough" way, but the Xplore gives some interesting benefits with their hydraulics. I'm also a little worried about RKS as a new company. They don't appear to be shipping a lot of units. I don't have any inside info., so who knows. In a worst case scenario, a buyer could rush to get their order done while RKS is still in business. Then you would own one of the most unique and high quality trailers available in any market. If RKS then "went away" in the future who cares? It wouldn't be much of a problem to maintain and repair their Motive trailers in the future, even if you didn't have RKS around to help. Doing your own work, and finding parts and mechanics when needed wouldn't be a big deal. Again, I don't know the future, but I hope theirs is bright.

Great points. I am baffled why they went with a solid axels I mean off road is in thier name. I guess the reasoning is for larger payload capabilities for hauling toys. Not a fan of the hydraulic suspension that Xplorer uses. As far as I know no other off road trailer builders use that suspension. Just seems like a fish house design. I bet as the Xplore units age there will be more leaking and failures. Probably why the warranty on the chassis is not the best. Did you hear about the rumor that Xplorer is going with a different suspension? RKS should offer the M19HD with a cruisemaster suspension for folks who want more of an off road rig and have the M22 be more like am ATC toyhauler. That said I am sure they have thier reasons. But if off road is in your name give your trailer suspension some travel for Pete sake.

Treefarmer

The aluminum frame must be part of the reason. I've only seen independent trailing arm suspensions on steel frames. Weight shouldn't be the issue. There are many independent trailing are suspension trailers with higher GVWRs and ample CCC.

Treefarmer

OK RKS-curious people. I just noticed on their FB page that they are planning to start building orders for the Motive M22 within the next six months. That should mean an M22 prototype is in the works. Because they were planning to allow you to buy very basic models and do a lot of your own mods, these guys are still on our radar. We're still thinking we may have to suffer a drive into CA this Fall to see their facility and figure out if an M22 should still be on our list. Has anyone seen or heard of anyone taking delivery of the Motive M19?

rvndawgz

I was able to get a price sheet for M19HD might help clear up some questions. It did for me, first time I have seen a price sheet.

Attachments

• MOTIVE_M19_MSRP_Pricing_V3.pdf
    460 KB · Views: 51

Awesome work. Did RKS send this to you recently? I have not seen any posting from them on SM so this must mean they are working hard in production mode. Noticed they list axels as solid with shocks. This is new information.

Last edited:

rvndawgz

Awesome work. Did RKS send this to you recently? I have not seen any posting from them on SM so this must mean they are working hard in production mode. Noticed they list axels as solid with shocks. This is new information.
No I got it from their dealer in Texas, Princess Craft. He is taking preorders if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger