road test of the J8

haven

Expedition Leader

durango_60

Explorer
Interesting project, I'll be interested to see how many takers they find.

The exciting thing in that article that I saw was that BFG is making a 255/80 r17 KM2, sounds like I have found my next set of tires.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I agree with this post

Chrysler builds these things- they have an assembly plant, and all the tooling- yet Chrysler won't let the consumer order a complete one from their dealer network?
Here is a product that they don't even really need to market. Dealers don't have to stock them. The military market justifies the product- all they need to do is list it as an option, and let the consumers who would want it demand it.
Do they do that?
Nope! Instead they allow an aftermarket company to allocate 120 of them, and then resell them with a fat mark up.
Stupid
And people wonder why they go bankrupt?

haven

Expedition Leader
If Chrysler were to sell the J8 through its dealer network, it would have to meet federal safety and emissions rules. In Chrysler's current condition, the money needed to meet the rules probably can't be justified by the small number of sales. Selling as a kit through AEV means an end run around these rules. Unfortunately, it also leaves the buyer without a warranty.

Regarding the high cost of the "kit," remember that the sheet metal stampings, axles, and other components are shipped from USA to Egypt, and the J8 without engine is shipped back to Michigan. That's got to add several thousand dollars to each vehicle. Add in profit for AEV, and it's understandable why the J8 costs quite a bit more than a Rubicon.

I do applaud Chrysler's decision to add the J8 axles, the 2.8L turbodiesel and trans, and other J8 parts to the Mopar Performance catalog.

Chip Haven

winkosmosis

Explorer
On second thought, forget the J8. You could just buy a 4 door, cut and weld the rear doors shut, and convert the rear to a bed yourself. And you'd get to keep the coil sprung rear.

alosix

Expedition Leader
I liked the Japolink one better. You can finally hear this thing on the web somewhere. Man does it sound nice :)

I figure that if I could get a Euro spec 2.8 JK here I'd buy it over the J8, but I don't see that happening.

Jason

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have been lusting after one of these for a while. A diesel powered long wheelbase jeep is a long time dream of mine.

The J8 is almost an entirely different jeep than the JK. It is MUCH stronger overall than the JK....the perfect platform for an expedition camper.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Funny about the kidney.. I actually asked AEV if they would take one.

The response was funny, though not exactly appropriate for a forum.

Jason

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
...though not exactly appropriate for a forum.
C'mon...did they offer you less or more than the asking price of a J8?

-----Matt-----

P.S. Having driven a couple of these, the kidney is worth it. I would DD/Overland the hell out of one of these.

86cj

Explorer
J8

I had to see for myself... I made the last payment on the LJ so a ride by the shop seemed like a good idea. I like it better in person the rig is the real deal, even the front bumpstop brackets are stronger.

Attachments

• HPIM0168.jpg
    HPIM0168.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 100

alosix

Expedition Leader
C'mon...did they offer you less or more than the asking price of a J8?

-----Matt-----

P.S. Having driven a couple of these, the kidney is worth it. I would DD/Overland the hell out of one of these.

Na, was more along the lines of me starting a meth lab in my apartment :)

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
I think the J8 is the best available mid-sized diesel engined option available in the US. And I'm really a Rover-guy :)

3528256639_5f65c6754a.jpg

Cheers,
Nick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior