road test of the J8

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm in 100% agreement. I love my 255/85R16 tires but know that every rig I own in the future won't take a 16-inch wheel.

As long as the LT255/80R17 size is being made there is hope for tall, reasonable width tires on my trucks in the future.

snip...

The exciting thing in that article that I saw was that BFG is making a 255/80 r17 KM2, sounds like I have found my next set of tires.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
yeah, these things are REALLY temping me!

I am having visions of one....its a cross between an expedition camper and a Dakar race vehicle.....

The Diesel interests me most.....a long time dream for me. Plus you can remap the computer for something like 215hp/375ft lbs, and still get 25mpg.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
25MPG on-road would be great, even better in my mind for a traveling/off-highway rig would be the fantastic range and off-highway MPG. Diesels are so much better at low speed tick-over with their variable air/fuel ratios.

It may be the last/best 4x4 diesel offering we see in the USA. The diesel future was bright a couple years ago, but with the economy/fuel prices and diesel emissions hitting us with a one-two punch, many manufacturers have stepped away from light-duty diesels.

Although not a 'factory install' I'm guessing that an AEV installed V6 diesel would be 'factory' in fit and quality, the biggest negative is the price. I'm not saying it's not worth the coin, but after lockers, bumpers, armor, winch, etc., the total cost of the car is likely going to be 60K or more.

yeah, these things are REALLY temping me!

I am having visions of one....its a cross between an expedition camper and a Dakar race vehicle.....

The Diesel interests me most.....a long time dream for me. Plus you can remap the computer for something like 215hp/375ft lbs, and still get 25mpg.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I seem to remember something about the 3.0 CRD out of the Grand not fitting in the JK because of the steering box.....

Diesels are great. I don't care what they are in. My old dodge even knocks down mileage in the 20s when not towing the Willy's. Its got 250K on it and runs like a top. The alternative fuel aspect of diesels is the number one draw beyond economy for me. Being able to grow, convert, or make your own fuel is always going to be cool!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
To build this car the way I want......well....I don't want to add up the numbers.

I do think that the J8 might be a vehicle that is heavy duty enough to stand up for the rest of my driving life. Hell, my old 1942 Willys is still going on the original frame and body! This would also be a unique enough platform that I could see myself sinking some real money into it over the course of the buildup. I hate dumping money into something that just won't last.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
No doubt diesels are 'better' :)

If my wife would allow me to take a second mortgage on our house I could have one of these J8s :victory:

I seem to remember something about the 3.0 CRD out of the Grand not fitting in the JK because of the steering box.....

Diesels are great. I don't care what they are in. My old dodge even knocks down mileage in the 20s when not towing the Willy's. Its got 250K on it and runs like a top. The alternative fuel aspect of diesels is the number one draw beyond economy for me. Being able to grow, convert, or make your own fuel is always going to be cool!

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
J8

Anybody knows, how much are they asking for the rolling chassis? And how much extra for the VM Diesel and installation?
Thanx, Tomas

alosix

Expedition Leader
Looking @ about 42k for the chassis and about 8k for the engine and transmission combo.

Prices I've gotten so far have been estimates.

Engine and Install must be done at some other shop than AEV. The explanation I got was legalish and likely due to being able to still call the thing a kit car.

Jason

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That stinks. If AEV is not doing the swap I don't know if I would want/trust it. That's lots of money to just have 'somebody' do the swap for me.

It also makes me concerned about the legality of me owning /registering a J8 diesel in a county that requires smog tests on diesels.

Looking @ about 42k for the chassis and about 8k for the engine and transmission combo.

Prices I've gotten so far have been estimates.

Engine and Install must be done at some other shop than AEV. The explanation I got was legalish and likely due to being able to still call the thing a kit car.

Jason

alosix

Expedition Leader
That stinks. If AEV is not doing the swap I don't know if I would want/trust it. That's lots of money to just have 'somebody' do the swap for me.

It also makes me concerned about the legality of me owning /registering a J8 diesel in a county that requires smog tests on diesels.

Its not a swap.

Its about an 8 hour process of bolting in an engine and tranny and plugging the harnesses together.

AEV has a list of places that can do it. Its really not rocket science at all.

I'm 1/2 tempted to show up with the engine/crane in the back of a truck. Flat tow the J8 to a wal mart parking lot, install it, and drive home.

But then, I'm used to doing silly things like that :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
As far as I know the diesel motor and transmission install is all plug and play. If you have a/c that will need to be charged but other than that it could be very Wallmart parking lot-able. I would do something like that too :) I think the Hemi kit may require some motor mount modifications if AEV doesn't do that for the rolling chassis.

The diesel should pass any tests. It is the same as the Liberty jeep. What kind of tests do they do in your area?

The 4.0 i-6 would be a step backward a bit. I don't know if the JK chassis can fit an engine that long without some modification. There is a lot of room with the 3.8, but that is opening a new can of worms as far as wiring and mounting goes.

alosix

Expedition Leader
at least use the 4:1 T-case

The 2.8 doesn't need a case that deep, It would actually hurt it offroad.

The hemi version could probably make use of it, and honestly given the nature of the vehicle specing that as part of the build with AEV would likely be possible.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online