road test of the J8

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, you guys make the diesel engine install sound VERY easy, that's great.

The two big counties in Nevada have a simple/crude tailpipe opacity sniff test. Basically just a tax as even a naturally aspirated diesel would have to be running poorly at this altitude to not pass the test.

As far as I know the diesel motor and transmission install is all plug and play. If you have a/c that will need to be charged but other than that it could be very Wallmart parking lot-able. I would do something like that too :) I think the Hemi kit may require some motor mount modifications if AEV doesn't do that for the rolling chassis.

The diesel should pass any tests. It is the same as the Liberty jeep. What kind of tests do they do in your area?

The 4.0 i-6 would be a step backward a bit. I don't know if the JK chassis can fit an engine that long without some modification. There is a lot of room with the 3.8, but that is opening a new can of worms as far as wiring and mounting goes.

jingram

Adventurer
It is just unfortunate that the Diesel has no manual option. Yeah yeah, I know all to well the benefits of an auto offroad and that the diesel puts out too much torque in stock form for the stock manual, but I just don't enjoy slush boxes.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Agreed.

The 5-speed A/T is probably a great tranny, I know I love the 5-sp A/T in my 4Runner. But I still prefer a manual, particularly behind a diesel.

It is just unfortunate that the Diesel has no manual option. Yeah yeah, I know all to well the benefits of an auto offroad and that the diesel puts out too much torque in stock form for the stock manual, but I just don't enjoy slush boxes.

jingram

Adventurer
I am pretty sure that there is an option for a 6-speed in the European CRD wranglers....

Yes, there is a 6speed option for the Euro/Aus CRD wranglers, but I recall reading somewhere that the military varient has a higher torque output and that the diesel has already been detuned for use with the 6speed as it is running on the ragged edge. That being said, all stuff I have picked up through various forums, so don't quote me for truth, lol.

XXXpedition

Explorer
I figure that if I could get a Euro spec 2.8 JK here I'd buy it over the J8, but I don't see that happening.
hey, i'd be happy to go t a local dealer (here in germany) for you and you just have to ship the truck...
just send me an email :))))

Yes, there is a 6speed option for the Euro/Aus CRD wranglers
6-speed is not an option - it's standard... auto is an option...
the torque on mine was 400NM before i boosted it. now i think it's a bit higher (450NM)...
there's a company here that pumps up the power 20% - i love that - have had it for a year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior