Rock Lights

Bretthn

Explorer
Similar quad pod as above but got mine from here: http://www.horsepowerjuice.com/led-lights.html

I capped off 1 side of leads. Other side I used standard connections and heat shrink. This allows them to be removable from physical damage and not involve others. I run a single hot line the entire frame including a ground. A simple clamp splice is used to tie into those runs. All in conduit. This makes them all independent.

IMG_20130324_134354_735_zps3c789d31.jpg

photobucket-7854-1357957237878.jpg

Pic18_zpsdb6962fa.jpg
I bought mine from the same place but have since found an ebay seller that is much cheaper. Your post about yours was one of the deciding factors for me. Love the pictures in the snow!
How are yours mounted. The double sided tape on mine will not cut it. I currently have 4 held in place with wire ties and zip ties. I am thinking some sort of industrial stength adhesive gobbed on the back of each would be good but still do not know what to look for.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Thanks man and glad I could help with someone's decision. I just used self tapping screw. It goes in that center hole of the pod. Being underneath and to the sheet metal isn't a concern on my end. I'll take a few pics though and put them up. Oh and I just ignored the adhesive. On one of them, I could not remove the pod.

I bought mine from the same place but have since found an ebay seller that is much cheaper. Your post about yours was one of the deciding factors for me. Love the pictures in the snow!
How are yours mounted. The double sided tape on mine will not cut it. I currently have 4 held in place with wire ties and zip ties. I am thinking some sort of industrial stength adhesive gobbed on the back of each would be good but still do not know what to look for.

Edit: added pics of some mounted

Under bed on cross rib

IMG_20131004_134908_919_zps14ccd389.jpg

Rocker

IMG_20131004_134933_011_zps0e1c3d67.jpg

Rocker near the frame

IMG_20131004_135002_673_zps4877a3da.jpg

Wish I were in WY right now...

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
FINALLY! After a month of waiting, my rock lights came from China. They appear just like the ones whiteknuckle has. I think I will wire them the same way, with one wire down each chassis rail for power, gives more flexibility without the christmas lights effect.

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I got mine in on Saturday. I will try to run them soon. But it took 3 weeks to get mine. I plugged them into a battery Sunday and I am still seeing spots. Those things are bright. So far I am impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddirttj

I bought these from a US seller on eBay. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383061589.174008.jpg
I didn't know how bright they would be compared to the 4 led.
Best pick I could get in the garage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383061943.143433.jpg
I installed three on the front, sides and two on the rear and above rear drive shaft. 13 total.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383062413.955017.jpg
I'm recovering from SLAP repair so I used rtv to attach led strips. I have extras and won't be bothered if they get ripped off by rocks. PImageUploadedByTapatalk1383062471.664639.jpg
Much better than the big glass flood lights that I kept smashing.

oatesequine

Anyone using the 4 leds square pods had them stop being waterproof and short out yet?

Had two on the back of my DD 1500 dodge do this.

I replaced them and put bunch of layers of clear coat on.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Same here. Sitting on my bench now. I'm trying to figure out how I should wire and install them.

Bretthn

Explorer
Update on my 4 light pods. I have 4 installed for over a year now with no issues yet. Still need to wire the rest.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am installing the small round ones in each end of my fender on my jeep. Will give a good amount of light for on the trail and setting up camp etc!

rbkelley89

Observer
This is only 4 pods. 2 per side. I have a total of 24 to use.

I am going to look like a spaceship on the trail once the rest are wired in. I will probably wait until I get my sliders on though for placement.

ive got the same popular 4 pod LED but got some earth magnets and glued them to the back of the leds and ran a little extra wire so if something breaks at night they can be moved around to give me light in any position. had em for a year and still working great i think there is 11 or so under my wrangler ill get some pics when i go night wheeling. No problems with the magnets either just a few spots have a weaks metal connection so ive zip tied a few

SGTCap

Adventurer
ive got the same popular 4 pod LED but got some earth magnets and glued them to the back of the leds and ran a little extra wire so if something breaks at night they can be moved around to give me light in any position. had em for a year and still working great i think there is 11 or so under my wrangler ill get some pics when i go night wheeling. No problems with the magnets either just a few spots have a weaks metal connection so ive zip tied a few
I used about 16 of those an 5 of these:
Daytime Running Light Lamp For Car .../dp/B00C1YI2XA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gX80ub1B1Z82Y
47d170a37bcd2b7b06689b04d79a825d.jpg

If I did it over again I would use the ones from Amazon for everything. The adhesive the use seems pretty stout and they are VERY bright. I have one in my RTT, one in each tool box, and two under my RTT to light up my bed as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179