Rode a 1200GS this weekend...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...I found an older XRL that looks great with only 6000 miles, original owner, and $2G that looks like the ticket (these have not changed, pretty much ever, except for some coloration). I think this will be a good start. I think renting is a good idea but I'm way too impatient for that.. :)

That does seem like a good deal and at $2k even if you don't find it suiting for your needs, it would be a low cost lesson versus a $8k+ new bike that depreciates insanely fast. And yes, you are impatient :D

...I carry tubes, spoons, air pump, patch kit (in case of multiple flats), along with all the tools to change the tube on the side of the trail...

Its something I'll really have to think about. That is a lot of gear to start packing on the types of rides we do (more adventure technical riding versus over the road stuff). My bike weighs closer to 275 loaded with fuel.

...You should try Tubliss, all you have to do is throw a plug in the tire... http://www.tubliss.com/

So I've been reading up on these between work calls. Great stuff. I think those may be the ticket for my woes. :cool:

RR1

Explorer
Its something I'll really have to think about. That is a lot of gear to start packing on the types of rides we do (more adventure technical riding versus over the road stuff). My bike weighs closer to 275 loaded with fuel.

I ride mostly single track with my KTM 450 XC.

I carry basic tool kit, some spare hard ware, JB weld, a standard non-heavy duty front tube even with my Tubliss for "just in case" (it will work in the rear too)..zip ties...food/water...and a little of this and that. It really isn't that much extra weight. It all fits with room to spare in a midsize CamelBak.

If you don't like carrying all that on your person Giant Loop makes a smaller Enduro bag now.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader

kurt i do the same kinda day loops and base camp riding you do. my whole kit isnt even as big as a monster energy can. my bike is 282 and i dont notice it when i ride. i dont like carrying stuff on my person but i dont even notice this stuff in the front pockets of my riding jacket,, and i have hose clamped it to the frame a few times. 30 miles out is enough to warrant a couple lb's of basic gear dontcha think?

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Well, here's the conclusion..

4500 miles, super clean
4.0 tank (??)
GPR Dampener
New set of Pirelli Scorpion AT Enduros to be installed
Stainless header with FMF exhaust
Alum slid plate
juiced up/de smogged/flow air setup...

Super psyched...

Super well maintained by a super healthy 65 year old former motocross
racer that has.. 10 bikes? This was his real dual sport though, ****ed
up his leg and couldn't kick start it any more... Absolutely awesome guy...

874665201_La3Xx-M.jpg

874665143_xzsDK-M.jpg

I am ecstatic and I think it was the right way to go. It was $2650 but is so nicely set up I feel it was completely worth it for the nicer Honda and all the mods of course...

More pics here for anyone interested...

http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/xr650r/12266881_cZNkB#874665143_xzsDK

One more childhood dream fullfilled, I have also always wanted a 650 dual sport pretty much my whole life...

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I think you'll love the new bike. I have one and it is real fun. I love to MTB also and think that will really help out with your street riding. You already know to look ahead for "stuff" that will kill you! Start slow and offroad often. I think that will help for the onroad riding. If you ever get to Reno we'll go riding. I ride with a buddy in SLC whenever I can. Have fun,
Chas

RHINO

Expedition Leader
congrats dre,,,, i think you'll really like a more dirt oriented bike.

Last edited:

Greg@RME

Adventurer
You'll put your eye out!! :bike_rider: Congrats Andre!

That's a LOT of bike for a new rider, be careful and don't get in over your head on trail choices. With that said, lets plan a ride. I ended up with over 800 miles on my bike in the last 4 days, most of it in the dirt. :wings:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Awesome.. Thanks Greg and also yes it does scare me for sure. I somehow stumbled into reading about Clayton Schwartz last night on ADVrider to the point that it really chilled my bones (to the point it even made me rethink the purchase possibly - here is the thread, really sad), but I am also obviously pretty excited to keep rolling with it. Carrie for now is also pretty opposed to the motorcycle idea as well in terms of safety mostly and I definitely really need to be careful and know mine (and the bike's) limits. Even the guy I bought it from, who seemed like one of the nicest and kindest and completely understated but complete utter longtime expert rider had two broken wrists and lots of serious injury, mostly from a heatstroke accident on I-70 once on a GS650... So yes it definitely scares me for sure...

The good news on this 650 is it seems pretty torquey so it doesn't feel like it needs a whole lot of throttle to stay alive and get over things unlike the XRLs I rode as well, almost like maybe the more powerful bike might actually be safer (??). It seems to have a sweet spot where it has a little more of the power a little farther into the curve so I feel like I will be "OK" and it also felt slightly detuned compared to the other hopped up XRR I also rode (which may feel more normal now, I dunno), but of course has the power if you need it. Riding it the other day was the first time I actually felt really good (and even comfortable) reving it well and feeling the power, which also felt awesome of course... So the answer is I decided to take (edit - CostalDefender's advice, thanks!) about choosing the one that is a little scary and hopefully growing into it. The big thing I was thinking was doing a couple more technical rides, get putting it over out of the way sooner rather than later ( :D ) and learning slowely but also trying to get a lot of sense for the feel of the bike and what it (and I) can and can't do. And riding with lots of experts as well if possible to get the feel of it. For me I think at least it will be a lot like Mountain Biking for me as well when I was first learning just a couple years ago and it was a steep steep learning curve for me before I could hang and feel it... But obviously much higher risks (of course)..

I was going to seek out a couple XRR guys to get it dialed, it has a really minor stumble off idle sometimes (too rich or too lean perhaps) and some other things, and I was definitely hoping for some guys to ride with and 'pop the cherry' of course.. I won't deny it of course that I am a complete, utter, virgin when it comes to bikes.. I think this thread probably does a good job of illustrating this perhaps...?!

I am really psyched, seems like I already have a pretty good crew to ride with already... :)

Carrie for now is also pretty opposed to the motorcycle idea as well in terms of safety mostly and I definitely really need to be careful and know mine (and the bike's) limits.

Find your comfort zone and work within it. Find your comfort zone and work within it. Find your comfort zone and work within it.

And a word of advise about the wife (I am assuming "Carrie" is your wife/girlfriend/significant other)... DO NOT EVER TELL HER THE STUPID **** YOU DO ON YOUR BIKE. It will do nothing to help your cause and it will enshrine in her the idea of your bike being pure evil.

BTW, the faster the bike goes, the more stable it is... Remind her of that when she catches you hitting 100mph.

I did 110mph today on the way home from work. :victory:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
DO NOT EVER TELL HER THE STUPID **** YOU DO ON YOUR BIKE.

Very funny.. I definitely mastered that one already.. Goes with cars, trucks, all sorts of stuff, motorcycle purchases, etc.. :) We are a total team and I am definitely a team player but unfortunately some times I have to ease her in.. I feel like she already knows she lost this one though.. :)

Greg@RME

Adventurer
There's a ton of advice about riding out there, ADVRider has plenty... I've also read about Claytons trip and that prompted me to get life insurance, just in case. I love riding and would hate to get myself killed and leave my wife in debt, simply because I like to ride and was killed doing so. Having life insurance at the least helps me not feel so selfish, if something were to happen to me while riding.

If you're reading over there, I'm sure you've heard of ATGATT... "All the gear, All the time". In other words, anytime you get on that bike, wear all your gear. Don't be scared of spending money on quality gear either, especially boots and a helmet. Things can go bad fast on a motorcycle, better have good gear to protect you than cheap junk.

Another bit of info worth sharing, regarding riding on the street. Ride like everyone is out to kill you. Watch your mirrors, watch the cars you're approaching and ALWAYS be looking for a way to handle each situation if you're put in danger. In my experience, most other car drivers are looking for another 4500 pound vehicle approaching them, not a 250 pound bike. If it's not a big car, they don't see it.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Here are photos of the 1200Gs I was mentioning at the beginning of this thread. My friend rode it up before last weekend and is leaving it with me for a few weeks as part of a western tour around the country, as far north as Washington, back to San Diego...

I have been patiently waiting for payment from one of my web site clients to go pick up the XR650R, so far the owner has been really patient (and does have some $$ to hold it) and I'm fearing I might be F'd on getting paid for this one (which is a first in a long time for me). I hope this XR doesn't fall though as I would be really upset...

I have a couple 20-30 miles on the 1200 so far this week alone. I am absolutely loving it and am learning how to manever it around pretty well and ride it predictably. I am a complete novice so it is a little scary, but I'll say riding on a motorcycle is just awesome, and what a feeling. Sounds dumb but I never really understood...

Here are a couple pics of the bike...

897381971_zvFEn-L.jpg

I am 6'5 so I feel pretty good on it...

897381996_7de83-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior