roof mounted spare

frumpy

Explorer
I've always not been to keen on mounting the spare up top due to putting something so heavy up high. However, due to the lack of room inside my ZJ I'm thinking I may put it up top for expedition trips where I know the trails won't be as hard and then switch it inside (when less gear is required) for day runs.

Just looking for some roof top set ups on the cheap. I have seen some thrown right on the roof but don't like the idea of a heavy 33" tire sitting right on the roof. I've also seen some just set on the cross bars on the stock rack. I think I am leaning towards that and a few ratchet straps for simplicity as long as its safe.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
There are a couple XJ's in town and a friend of mine has a roof rack tire mount on his Range Rover. They're basically a piece of threaded rod, a plate with a hole to clamp the center of the rim and a big wing nut. Your right in being hesitant about putting it up there. It does affect the CG of the truck and....have you ever tried to man handle a big, heavy, muddy tire up to the roof? Not easy.
Jason T.
This is his RRC.

Attachments

• North_Maine_2008 015.jpg
    North_Maine_2008 015.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 74

frumpy

Explorer
Not to worried about having to deal with it as I really plan to not have to use it. All joking aside, I run bead locks and have oba, compressor, and portable Co2 (kind of overkill but I have it all and they have different purposes). I also have a good tire repair kit so usually its quicker and easier to just repair it. My spare is a non bead lock too and usually its the same, or less time to repair it.

i made this one
tiremount001.jpg
it mounts to the rack and rack mounts
tiremount003.jpg
the two bolts u see are for mounting the "custom" made clamp that hooks the groove in the rack mounts. the nut that is welded on is the tire mount itself
tiremount004.jpg
and here are the thru bolt and plate for the tire
tiremount006.jpg
here is what it looks like
tiremount007.jpg
tiremount008.jpg
tiremount009.jpg

I had a spare on my roof for the first time in MOAB. I didn't like it one bit. There's a definite difference in the vehicle dynamics. Before you go to the garage and fab up a tire mount for the roof, you should try just throwing it up there and tying it down to see if it makes a difference for the types of trails you run.

frumpy

Explorer
Good idea. My jeeps currently sitting at 9" but I'm going to be dropping it down to 6" and adding long arms as well (its just plain scary right now thanks to the previous owner) but I still have a feeling its going to feel tippy after its lowered with the spare up top.

Waytec

Adventurer
I built one for my XJ out of 1x2 tubing. I found the rig got to tipsy on the trails I was doing so I removed the tier, but I still have the rack on to hold the high lift and shovel.
I secured it to the stock roof rack using U-bolts.
April262008041.jpg

Waytec

Adventurer
I would love a rear mounted one too. Not is it in the Budget for right now. Rear mounts are the best way to go but you have to spend a lot to get anything good.
Remember you get what you pay for.

frumpy

Explorer
I would love a rear mounted one too. Not is it in the Budget for right now. Rear mounts are the best way to go but you have to spend a lot to get anything good.
Remember you get what you pay for.

x2

I have a lot of other things to do on the jeep that take priority to make it safe and ready for the road/trails. If its an issue up top I'll just either leave it at home/camp for the tougher trails or throw it inside if need be.

computeruser

Explorer
You could always get one that sticks into your receiver hitch for the time being. That would keep CG lower and be a lot cheaper than a full rear bumper/swingout setup...

kai38

Explorer
Out wheeling one day a guy in our group had a sidewall tear. His 33" tire was mounted in the roof rack. Being the he-man he thought he was he got up there and said he didn't need help getting the tire down. He stood it up and flipped it over the edge of the rack, it hit the ground and bounced up tearing his passenger side mirror clean off, and rolled away while we laughed. :wings:

frumpy

Explorer
Haha, well I really hope to not be using it too often so if I have to get it down from once in a while I won't complain too much, but I will take a helping hand. :)

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Out wheeling one day a guy in our group had a sidewall tear. His 33" tire was mounted in the roof rack. Being the he-man he thought he was he got up there and said he didn't need help getting the tire down. He stood it up and flipped it over the edge of the rack, it hit the ground and bounced up tearing his passenger side mirror clean off, and rolled away while we laughed. :wings:

Thus the reason I take my time when removing it from the rack. And why would you want to drop it and have it bounce...a video of him chasing it would be funny.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior