roof mounted spare

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
What width 33 tire do you run?

I ran with a 32x11.5 on my rack for many years on the old XJ. Wheeling harder trails at Paragon as well, maybe i knew it was there but it never caused me issues.

I'v been running 33's with the spare on a rear swingaway for quite a few years now.. till i backed into a tree because i didnt see it. Bent the wheel and part of the carrier.

I'm building a new swingaway that will carry my fuel and hi-lift, spare will go back on the rack. I only run a 33x10.5 now though, i dont expect issues. (current spare is a 33x9.5)

I carry flat repair kit, quick-air. Like you mentioned the only time i'd have to get my spare is if i cut a sidewall.

For the mounting i picked up a cheap spare tire "relocator" for a YJ. Extended the square tubing to the length i needed, and attached plate on the bottom. This was mounted to my racks crossmembers and was absolutely solid.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Currently , mine is on the rack up top, but I also have one on a swing-away
3180755023_5029639b8a.jpg

Nice...

Any pics of the Gerri-Can holders? I need to fab up something shortly.

frumpy

Explorer
I'm running 33x13.5s right now. My spare is a free 33x12.5 xterrain but I am looking for a 33x9.5 BFG AT to use as a spare. I ended up moving the crossbars in and through the tire between them and some ratchet straps to secure it. It seems pretty solid, I'll snap a pic tomorrow. It looks damn tall though, should be dropping it down soon to 6" of lift instead of 9" so that should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan