RR L322 SC Sand Tire Question

Hamiamham

I have a 2008 L322 Super Charged full-size SUV (not the sport)

It has a bad habit of chewing up the side walls of tires after I air them down to go on the beach. I used to have a D-90 and could air the tires down to the single digits with no issues. On this truck I can only manage about 20psi and I typically come off the sand with damage to the sidewall.

the tires are OEM size 255/50R20 and the 2nd set of tires in a year are Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts

Given this is the 2nd set of tires I have blown thru I am wondering if the tire size is just too low profile to allow for airing down? This can be soft and deep sand so airing down less then 20psi will guarantee I will get stuck. Most guys are running 12-15psi.

From what I have read I can not go down to a 19" or 18" rim as it will not fit over the Brembo brakes

So I guess my questions are as follows

Is my theory that the 250/55R20 tires are too low profile to air down that much on point or am I off base there?

If I am not correct, have I just picked the wrong tires for the job twice in a row now?

Given 100% of my driving is either beach or on sub 35mph roads, can anyone suggest a tire that we can safely air down into the teens without damaging the side walls?

XJLI

Adventurer
You can fit LR3/4 19s on it just fine. I’ve been airing down my stock LR4 tires to about 20 on the beach without problems, will be going to 255/60-19 AT3s soon, you can run those as well.

alanymarce

I think you're right that the 20 in rims and associated tyre profile mean that you cannot air down as much as you would like. XJLI's advice is good (based on experience not theory). I can't offer any more help, other than that I have avoided vehicles with any bigger than 17 in rims, partially for this reason.

Hamiamham

Reading thru the owners manual last night they actually say the low profile tires are not suitable for Offroad. Kinda ironic on a rig that is chock full of electronic aids for Offroad driving.

Not sure I can go down in rim size as am being told there will be a issue getting anything smaller than 20” over (around?) the brakes.

Maybe I should switch to an M-T tire? As I understand it, M/T tires have stiffer sidewalls and tolerate airing down better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
255/60-19 Toyo AT3, or the Goodyears if you’re a fan. I’m not. You can get duratracs or adventures in 255/55-19 or 255/65-19. Not sure how the 65s will fit on the 322 (I’m sure just fine) but 60 is only 1” bigger than stock, that’s nbd.

Reefwalker

I recently purchased a set of five TuffAnt Alloy 18x8 ET27 wheels for my 2008 L322 SC.

I did a test fit when they arrived and they clear the Brembos with no problem. The Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.50R18 tires for them arrived yesterday and will be mounted next week.

Hamiamham

Interesting. Are you going to need to lift your rig to accommodate those new tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
If the Tuffants fit, so will the evo corse and compomottives. You can run 265/60-18 (which is stock LR3 size) with zero modifications.

Reefwalker

Interesting. Are you going to need to lift your rig to accommodate those new tires?

Yes. I have an XLifter, which is essentially an electric lift kit that overrides the EAS and doesn’t have any speed limitations. It adds up to a maximum of 75mm of lift, but I will run it at 55mm, which is just a little higher than lift rods. I’ve had this in the vehicle for a few months while waiting for the wheels and tires and it works great. It can also lower the vehicle for highway driving with normal tires by 25mm, which offers a marked improvement in handling. I’m not sure if this setting will work with the larger tires or not.

Reefwalker

If the Tuffants fit, so will the evo corse and compomottives. You can run 265/60-18 (which is stock LR3 size) with zero modifications.

I looked at the Compomotives before choosing the TuffAnts. My primary concern with them was whether or not the interior of the wheel would clear the Brembos without modification. I’ve seen Compomotives on HSEs, but not on an SC. They might work, but in the end I liked the looks of the TuffAnts and with the ET27 offset, I don’t need spacers for the larger and wider tires. I think this is the same concern as Hamiamham.

gatorgrizz27

If you can get 18’s to clear the brakes, BFG KO2’s are available in a 265/65r18 which isn’t substantially taller than the stock size. Sidewalls are very stout. Personally, I’ve been impressed with how they handle sand when aired down to 25 f/35r, using sand mode. There can be a lot of wheel spin and sliding around, but the traction control does its thing and it never feels like it’s struggling. Granted I’m not doing stuff like stopping halfway up a sand dune and taking off again, but I am driving trails with extremely soft sugar sand and elevation change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger