"Safari Cab" modular hardtop project

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
The ability to disassemble the top is unimportant to me. I would mount the top permanently to the vehicle and that would be it. Soft tops are over rated. Mine just collects dust setting in the garage year after year.

The ability to remove the top is less important to me than the ability to add (or buy as an option) a large sunroof. If that was possible, I would never remove the top. If that wasn't possible, I would want to remove the top and install the soft top.

I see you have a sunroof "mocked up" here:

SafariCamper2.jpg

Honestly, that small sunroof is a waste of time. Try doubling it's length and putting it more towards the front.

Also, with the ribs going all the way to the front of the top, I would not add a sunroof myself, only if it was offered as an option.

D

Deleted member 9101

RetroWrangler6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

If I was to ever buy a jeep.. that would be the one

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The ability to remove the top is less important to me than the ability to add (or buy as an option) a large sunroof. If that was possible, I would never remove the top. If that wasn't possible, I would want to remove the top and install the soft top.

I see you have a sunroof "mocked up" here: <photo deleted>

:) No, that's not a sunroof mocked up, it's the side window printouts sitting on the top because I had nowhere else to set them in the workshop.

In my discussions with the company so far, we have not talked about a factory option sunroof.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished the upper door jambs for TJ-style doors today. The upper jamb is the part above the window frame; it goes back to the back of the curve at the top corner of the door. This part is removable from the full jamb master, because the top of the CJ/YJ door is slightly different. If you look at where the clamp is at the top of the window, you can see the side of the upper jamb dips down slightly as it goes towards the front of the door. That's only for TJ doors, on the CJ/YJ doors that line goes up instead of dipping down. It's a small detail, but if we want the door gap to be perfect, this part needs to be different.

I haven't built the upper jamb for the YJ/CJ yet, I'll do that later since we'll be working on the prototype TJ/LJ tops in fiberglass first.

TJUpperJambs.jpg

Having finished the TJ upper door jambs, I can now declare the woodworking phase of this project completed. I dragged everything out of the workshop today (except for the roof panel master, that takes two people to move) so I could sweep up, and while the parts were out I snapped a photo.

SafariCabParts.jpg

1. The LJ side window panel.
2. Door surrounds with TJ profile upper jambs.
3. TJ/YJ/CJ side window panel.
4. Rear corners for all tops, full-length and half-cabs.
5. Rear door outer skin.
6. Rear door inner structure.
7. Longer half-cab sides, for Ratro Wrangler/Brute size tops.

In addition to the roof, there are two other small masters not shown - the inside windshield header, and the inside roof rib.

Now I've got to start the finishing/mold prep process, which begins with sealing the wooden parts with sanding sealer like I did with the roof panel master, then iterative steps of high build primer/block sanding until I'm satisfied with the finish.

---------------------
Questions about the Safari Cab? Try here first: Safari Cab FAQ
---------------------

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Survey time!

As you know, I've been in discussions with a company that is interested in bringing the Safari Cab hardtop to market, and we've put an online survey together so we can gather market interest and feature desires as input to the company's decision about whether to bring this top to market, and which features are important.

If you're interested in the Safari Cab hardtop project, please take a few minutes to respond to the Safari Cab market survey.

Thanks for a few minutes of your time.
Jeff (and the company)

Last edited:
Uh-Oh.....

Error Message:

It looks like the form "Safari Cab Hardtop Product Survey" is turned off.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.
Visit our help center

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Uh-Oh.....

Error Message:

It looks like the form "Safari Cab Hardtop Product Survey" is turned off.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.
Visit our help center

OOPS, I talked to the person who put the survey together, and he said he has to turn it off for a bit to fix the problems that just came up, apologies (and embarrassment) for the false alarm, will let you know when he says it is fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger