Safe to use recovery strap on hitch pin instead of shackle?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The unexpected and uncontrolled reaction of the tugging vehicle to a broken pin is likely the most important part of such an event.

A broken pin does have the potential to render the receiver socket useless until tools not normally taken on a trip are employed.

Not sure. :) One is part of my recovery kit, where ever the kit goes, it goes. As for the cost, I built mine literally from scrap steel. The shackle came with Patch, so my investment is time only.
fabricatedshackleslider.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Besides, tell me again why we're not using a receiver shackle, if we're using the receiver mount?

Because they cost $40 and weigh about 10lbs and you have to worry about storing them. :snorkel:

To me, this discussion seems pretty pointless. I would only consider using the strap on the pin in as a last resort, rescuing an unprepared person kinda thing. The shackle bracket was one of the very first pieces or recovery gear I bought.

Chuck

Dead topic, I know. However, just to add information - the receiver itself is generally the weak point in this system.

Wait.. it's not shear or tension, but a bending load. Can you calculate the amount of bending force a bolt can take?

Not really. It's not a linear problem since the load on the bolt is not evenly distributed. The only way to do it properly would be a finite element analysis.

I think FEA would be overkill - that's like trying to kill a fly with a 12ga shotgun full of birdshot. It doesn't seem like winkosmosis is asking for an answer to four significant digits - just a lower bound, and that's trivially easy to get. Assume the bolt is simply supported and the load is concentrated as a point load in the center.

It really is a combo of all of them, but it is mostly bending.
You can treat it like it is a simply supported beam and do a partially distributed load analysis on it, but first you need to know what the peak loading is and have an average width for the loop, while under load, where it goes around the pin...

Honestly, still overkill. A lower bound will do, and a concentrated point load gives you the lower bound solution. Assuming the strap distributes the load over a more broad length of the bolt will only give you a higher failure load, and as you said will be much harder to quantify. It also introduces assumptions which change with each pull if your strap is off center or inserted even the slightest bit differently. A point load lower bound is the true lower bound, you're not going to get a lower failure load as a factor of real world loading conditions. If I'm out working with this equipment, I don't really want to know what load my pin will fail at if it slips left and right. I want to know the lowest possible load which could conceivably cause failure.

I ran the numbers based on DaveInDenver's yield strength values of 92ksi for Gr5 and 130ksi for Gr8. You begin to get yield at the extreme fibers of the bolt at approximately 4400 lbf for Gr5 and 6200 lbf for Gr8. Those numbers are very low. However, that is a reasonable answer for winkosmosis' question - specifically, those are the lowest pulling forces which could permanently bend the bolt.

If you estimate the maximum load of the bolt by assuming it fully plastic, a state it may not even reach before failure due to the comparatively narrow yield range of higher strength steel (particularly Gr8), you get 7500 lbf and 10,600 lbf. Potentially adequate in a pinch, however those bolts will most likely have to be cut out after use as mentioned above, because as they say, "They won't look like they used to." Personally I wouldn't count on more than the 4400 lbf and 6200 lbf mentioned in the last paragraph.

Pulling on one frame rail of a ladder-frame truck? I saw a P38 Range Rover destroyed by doing that.

Depends on what else you do with the vehicle when you're building it. I relocated my gas tank up 9" and plated my rear frame rails together with a 37"x25"x1/4" skid plate also intended to function as a shear transfer diaphragm, so in my case I wouldn't worry about loading a single frame rail. Most ordinary vehicles have a very weak frame once you start talking about extraction, as you said. The weakest point in a hitch receiver recovery is often the receiver itself, however.

... I had two bolt-on D rings (like the type bolted/welded to trailers) positioned just outside of the frame rails on the bumper of my YJ years back, and actually deformed the bumper by using a chain Y to which I attached a ComeAlong when pulling out shrubs. The bumper was OEM, 3/16" bent sheet (formed into a C channel). ComeAlongs don't generate all that much force...using one point would have been a better idea by far, even for pulling shrubs!...

C channel is exceptionally weak compared to a tube, and 3/16" is thin. You would probably have had the same trouble with a single attachment to the same bumper.

For some reason I missed the bridle part of that. If the receiver is mounted to a cross bar between the frame rails that is strong enough to take the strain, then I'd just use a receiver hitch. The ones on the Discovery, for example, are bolted to a crossmember. The Class III hitch I had on my Wrangler was uber strong and tied to the frame as well. I just haven't seen any cheesy Class III receivers, personally. Most tend to be really stout.
Of course, there's always the guy who bolts a 2" receiver to the underside of a bumper and thinks it's strong. :Wow1:

Interpretation of "stout" may vary. Michaelgroves is correct. The Class IV/V receiver on my tow rig is rated (to tow, I know someone else confused this earlier with pulling capacity) for 14,000 lb without WD hitch, 15,000 lb with. It is manufactured from 2.5" square 1/4" wall A500B tube, with a yield strength of 46,000 psi. This is typical for most heavy duty receivers. My frame width is 37". The end plates attaching to the frame are 5/16", which is not stiff enough to cause fully fixed boundary conditions at the end, so again assuming a simply supported condition is most reasonable. That heavy duty receiver will begin to yield during a pull at only 7600 lbf, and will fail at 9500 lb. You can easily exceed that force with a winch, let alone a strap recovery. It's stronger than a Gr8 or Gr5 bolt in bending through the receiver tube, but not by much. Either way, you're not going to manage a 10k pull with that setup without mangling the receiver and the bolt.

Personally, I will use nothing but the hitch pin in the tube in a pinch, if that is absolutely all I have. However, I generally always carry a 12,000 lbf rated, forged receiver mounted hook for all my strap work. Personally, I hate kinetic recoveries, and I'm not worried about the 12K rating, since the receiver itself will fail before the hook in all but my wheeling rig (I built a considerably more stout receiver for the wheeling rig, along with other frame reinforcement already mentioned, since I enjoy doing recovery). If I need more force on the wheeling rig, I have a pair of 1" shackles that attach to 1" thick end plates for my rear crossmember/receiver, each end of which bolts to two feet worth of frame using six 5/8" Gr8 bolts in shear. I'm in the process of building a matching front end, unfortunately I had to put the project on hold while finishing something else. Not all of the bolts are installed in the photo below, and you can't see the additional reinforcement for the receiver tube under the winch plate (which is not yet welded in this photo) either. However, it gets the idea across. You can also see the location of the 1/4 skidplate/frame reinforcement below, it has a rubber pad resting on it in the photo.

This is the sort of strength and frame reinforcement you're talking about when you start dealing with 10-20K forces. This rear end was designed for 36,000 lbf, with up to 18,000 lbf at either shackle. Even so, the limit for the receiver tube is still approximately 12,000 lbf based on the strength of the 4x6 crossmember. Note that these numbers, unlike the failure loads discussed above, also have a factor of safety built in and are working loads.

If you don't want to start plating your frame, there is no point talking about larger recovery forces. A receiver crossbar will generally fail long before a well maintained strap, unless you're doing kinetic recovery, which throws in a bunch of new variables. Most recoveries are performed at well under 10,000 pounds of force, and usually in the 3,000 to 5,000 range. At that range even a Gr5 bolt will usually work, but personally I'd rather use an insert so I don't have to worry about cutting a bent bolt out later.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Personally, I hate kinetic recoveries, and I'm not worried about the 12K rating, since the receiver itself will fail before the hook in all but my wheeling rig (I built a considerably more stout receiver for the wheeling rig, along with other frame reinforcement already mentioned, since I enjoy doing recovery). If I need more force on the wheeling rig, I have a pair of 1" shackles that attach to 1" thick end plates for my rear crossmember/receiver, each end of which bolts to two feet worth of frame using six 5/8" Gr8 bolts in shear. I'm in the process of building a matching front end, unfortunately I had to put the project on hold while finishing something else. Not all of the bolts are installed in the photo below, and you can't see the additional reinforcement for the receiver tube under the winch plate (which is not yet welded in this photo) either. However, it gets the idea across. You can also see the location of the 1/4 skidplate/frame reinforcement below, it has a rubber pad resting on it in the photo.

This is the sort of strength and frame reinforcement you're talking about when you start dealing with 10-20K forces. This rear end was designed for 36,000 lbf, with up to 18,000 lbf at either shackle. Even so, the limit for the receiver tube is still approximately 12,000 lbf based on the strength of the 4x6 crossmember. Note that these numbers, unlike the failure loads discussed above, also have a factor of safety built in and are working loads.

That's a nice piece of work! With something similar up front, you also don't have to worry so much about the vehicle frame stretching when tandem pulling, either.

Chuck

That's a nice piece of work! With something similar up front, you also don't have to worry so much about the vehicle frame stretching when tandem pulling, either.

Exactly. I was planning to locate a 9K winch in the back, and the bumper is designed for a maximum triple line pull of 27K. The idea is I'll avoid tying the front whenever possible, and if I do have to double or triple lines and anchor the front, I can anchor on the same frame rail as the second snatch block. With the winch at center (one line) and two lines coming to a single rail, that would be at maximum 22.5K on the anchored frame rail, and only 4.5K on the adjacent frame rail. 4.5K should be within the capacity of the shear reinforcement/skidplate.

This work is on a half ton chassis, which is too light for recovery duty unless done very carefully. I've seen half ton frames bent in half by even light duty (Holmes 440 or equivalent single line) wrecker setups used offroad, due to their low bending capacity. Anchoring the front is also usually a guaranteed route to a bent frame with a boom winch. However, a winch mounted inline with the frame for direct pulls is generally well within capacity even with an anchor, as long as side loads are avoided and the winch mount is properly designed (most winch mounts I've seen are probably good for about half the capacity of the winch in a single line pull, at best).

My other trick will be a pair of scotch blocks. I was planning to mount weld-on 3/8" chain grab hooks at the ends of both bumpers for their use. Usually safer than having to anchor the front of the vehicle.

michaelgroves

Explorer
My other trick will be a pair of scotch blocks. I was planning to mount weld-on 3/8" chain grab hooks at the ends of both bumpers for their use. Usually safer than having to anchor the front of the vehicle.

Yes, I agree. I like this design:

wheel chock anchor.jpg

You drive onto the chocks, and then chain them to the bumper. The chock has a nice edge that digs in...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think FEA would be overkill - that's like trying to kill a fly with a 12ga shotgun full of birdshot. It doesn't seem like winkosmosis is asking for an answer to four significant digits - just a lower bound, and that's trivially easy to get. Assume the bolt is simply supported and the load is concentrated as a point load in the center.

No, it's like a sniper shot. We don't need an answer correct to 4 digits, but getting the first digit right would be a start. While your method is easy and gives us a "lower bound", it's excessively crude, and gives a result which is much lower than reality. That is why your result is much lower than what we know works in reality.

michaelgroves

Explorer
No, it's like a sniper shot. We don't need an answer correct to 4 digits, but getting the first digit right would be a start. While your method is easy and gives us a "lower bound", it's excessively crude, and gives a result which is much lower than reality. That is why your result is much lower than what we know works in reality.

We could all take a guess, and then average those! The more people we ask, the more accurate our answer will be.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Hey, isn't that how we elect governments? ;)

Seriously, I think the answer will be closer to the result from a simple evenly distributed load.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
ntsqd said:
It really is a combo of all of them, but it is mostly bending.
You can treat it like it is a simply supported beam and do a partially distributed load analysis on it, but first you need to know what the peak loading is and have an average width for the loop, while under load, where it goes around the pin...

Honestly, still overkill. A lower bound will do, and a concentrated point load gives you the lower bound solution. Assuming the strap distributes the load over a more broad length of the bolt will only give you a higher failure load, and as you said will be much harder to quantify. It also introduces assumptions which change with each pull if your strap is off center or inserted even the slightest bit differently. A point load lower bound is the true lower bound, you're not going to get a lower failure load as a factor of real world loading conditions. If I'm out working with this equipment, I don't really want to know what load my pin will fail at if it slips left and right. I want to know the lowest possible load which could conceivably cause failure.
I agree that knowing which of possibilities will result in the lowest loading failure will occur isn't necessary (because rigging may not stay as placed) and that we just need/want to know what the lowest value is so that all riggings are based on it, but I do not think that it is a valid assumption to reduce the pin load to a concentrated point load. It can never be a point load because the strap has width. The number needs to be as real as is possible to acquire.

I can see where you're coming from with this approach, but I think it's too simplified as the resultant isn't real. So you don't really know what your F.S. is since you've based it on an unreal number. The end result is a lot of thinking and math, but you're still in the dark and pacified with meaningless a number. Rounding should happen at the very last step, any done along the way introduces the potential for errors.

Chuck

I agree that knowing which of possibilities will result in the lowest loading failure will occur isn't necessary (because rigging may not stay as placed) and that we just need/want to know what the lowest value is so that all riggings are based on it, but I do not think that it is a valid assumption to reduce the pin load to a concentrated point load. It can never be a point load because the strap has width. The number needs to be as real as is possible to acquire.

I can see where you're coming from with this approach, but I think it's too simplified as the resultant isn't real. So you don't really know what your F.S. is since you've based it on an unreal number. The end result is a lot of thinking and math, but you're still in the dark and pacified with meaningless a number. Rounding should happen at the very last step, any done along the way introduces the potential for errors.

Gentlemen, the only problem I have with that is - can you quantify what works in reality? All factors of safety are based on an unreal number, since it is impossible to divorce real world engineering from assumptions about loading, boundary conditions, and even basic tenets of structural mechanics (Do plane sections remain plane in bending? They don't, but we assume they do for every bending calculation we make). All we can do is try to make those assumptions as close to reality as we can guess, and make sure they are at least conservative rather than nonconservative.

If you assume the strap can evenly distribute the load across a two inch width of bolt, your yield and failure loads double. If you look at the load and deflection relationship between the bolt and strap, you may even find that if your strap is stiff enough that it transfers enough load away from the center of the bolt to make for a further increase. On the other hand, if there is a crease, fold, or bunch in your strap width along the length of the bolt, it will result in a region of higher load and reduce capacity.

It's also true that a strap absolutely cannot be a point load in the real world. However, how narrow can the strap be under load? Two inches? One inch? What happens if you assume one inch and the "real world" answer is 3/4"?

Unless you can accurately quantify that width in a repeatable way, any number you generate is nothing but a guess. That Grade 8 bolt might start to yield at 6200 lbf, 12,400 lbf, or any number in between based on your assumption of strap width. However, I can say with certainty that a Grade 8 bolt loaded in a 2" receiver with a strap around it definitely won't bend permanently at less than 6200 lbf, assuming (lots of assumptions, as always) the bolt also meets the standard. I will also say I have no doubt my 6200 lbf number is certainly inaccurate. However, I could guarantee my number is low, not high, and to me that is what matters most in a case like this. I would rather give an overconservative answer than an unsafe one.

Honestly, I'd be curious to quantify the real result. I have access to load cells and test frames to perform that test with a real bolt, receiver, strap, and a quasi-static test condition, just no time right now to do so. I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to perform a similar test?

Last edited:

winkosmosis

Explorer
Chuck, that is the approach I was thinking of, assuming all force concentrated at the center of the pin.

I don't think it's a far from reality as some people have said. The strap I have is folded over on itself so the loop is 1" wide, and is also curved. With force applied, I think it rounds out more and applies force to an even smaller length of the pin.

Let's say that contact is 1/4". Since the distance that matters is from the outside edges of the pint o the center, that is pretty close to the worst case. Worse case, the pin consists of two levers 1" long, reality may be more like two levers 7/8" long.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Chuck, your number is safe, but unnecessarily low. True that is the conservative way to go, but as you asked, what is real? Certainly not the scenario that resulted in your number. I seem to recall several real examples posted here that dispute your results. The problem with a result that is too conservative is likely obvious, something won't be attempted that could have been done, with a lot of extra work involved to go around an erroneous number.

Each unique type of strap is going to distort differently over the pin while under load. Those that have a cover on their loop will elongate and shrink differently than those that do not. Without real world testing the best that we can hope to do is to look for the worst case example and use it in the calculations. My intuition is that we're looking at a worst case strap that is roughly .750" wide over the pin at it's max rated load. I believe that this is a bit conservative, but I do not know by how much.

We aren't building a replacement for the Space Shuttle, but we should still strive for the most reasonable result possible.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A receiver pin is hardened steel and the receiver tube is usually as strong as the frame rails or unibody that holds it. Even a front winch can trash a vehicle if you pull hard enough. Just look at the thin unibody on a Jeep Cherokee that hold the winch bumpers. At least manufacturers design the rear of a vehicle to be a strong mounting point for a receiver in the first place. Does it get better than that? Given a choice to pull the rear of a rig and I'm hooking to the receiver.

Chuck

Chuck, your number is safe, but unnecessarily low. True that is the conservative way to go, but as you asked, what is real? Certainly not the scenario that resulted in your number. I seem to recall several real examples posted here that dispute your results. The problem with a result that is too conservative is likely obvious, something won't be attempted that could have been done, with a lot of extra work involved to go around an erroneous number.

Each unique type of strap is going to distort differently over the pin while under load. Those that have a cover on their loop will elongate and shrink differently than those that do not. Without real world testing the best that we can hope to do is to look for the worst case example and use it in the calculations. My intuition is that we're looking at a worst case strap that is roughly .750" wide over the pin at it's max rated load. I believe that this is a bit conservative, but I do not know by how much.

We aren't building a replacement for the Space Shuttle, but we should still strive for the most reasonable result possible.

I agree in part at least. In terms of real examples posted here that dispute these results, I don't know the examples you're referring to since I'm new here - however, did someone actually have a force measurement device hooked up during a failure? Otherwise, how do you separate anecdotal evidence from anything real?

Assuming the strap is 0.750" wide only increases the capacity of the pin by 23%. We're not talking about large changes in capacity here. I rigged up a quick table and graph to quantify what we're looking at - just based on the change in bending moment as you change strap width for a fixed load. The equation for bending moment in this case is

M = P ( L/4 - l/8 )

Where L is your 2" receiver tube width, and l is the width of the strap at the bolt.

pin-moments.jpg

As you can see, even a 1" strap width only gives you a 1/3 increase in strength. We're talking the difference between 6,200 and 8,200 lbf here for the bending strength of a Grade 8 bolt. I'm not really seeing where the additional capacity due to strap width is going to make any difference here. No one is out there with a winch and a force measurement gauge sweating over 6,201 lb.

Does it matter whether the bolt bends at 6,200 or 8,200 lbf? Not really, because either way it's a much lower strength than you would get with a shackle mount inserted in your receiver instead. Even that 12K rated hook from Northern has a higher rated load. To get back to the original question of the topic, regarding whether or not it is safe to use the hitch pin instead of a shackle - yes, it is. Most recoveries take quite a bit less than 6,200 lbf, or even the 4,400 lbf you get from a Grade 5 bolt. However, no, the hitch pin will not provide the same capacity as the shackle insert. If given the choice, use the shackle insert, but the pin by itself will probably get you out of a pinch without hurting anyone.

In terms of conservative assumptions, look at this from the point of view of a registered P.E. If I come to you as a customer with this assembly and say I need a load rating for it, and most of my jobs are going to be under 5,000 lbf, what rating will you issue - bearing in mind that once you stamp and sign those calculations, you are personally liable if you guess 7,600 lbf and it fails on someone at 7,595? Making nonconservative assumptions where you have no possible way to quantify the real conditions can be a very dangerous business (not to mention hard on your insurance rates).

If someone on a forum asks me for a safe design or capacity, I give the same level of conservatism I'd use in a design I've stamped - yes, the "real" capacity is definitely higher, but since none of us can quantify how much higher, giving a higher estimate endangers anyone who uses the advice in a post. You and I read this post and both understand the level of uncertainty and the assumptions involved, but to the normal non-specialist reading this post who needs a simple, safe answer, they see a number, and the rest is gibberish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior