Samurai from rocks to Expedition

unionmine

Hello I'm new to expedition portal. I have had my samurai for about a year and boy have plans changed. at first I was going to build a nice mostly stock rig with a spring over and 31" tires. then I thought about a dedicated crawler and that just seemed a little useless to me. so I have tried to combine the two. I started off with a 88 soft top
and decided I would be happier with a tin top so I did a body swap about two weeks ago.
I have most of the suspensions finished. I'm running a Toyota front Axel with 5.29 gears high steer and a Toyota ifs steering box. the rear is a trail gear rock assault for the samurai so the diff is off set to the right side and 5.29 gears . I'm running a 4.1 transfer case and heavy duty Toyota drive lines. my springs are 5leaf wranglers in the back and trail tough rear with reversed eyed springs up front. I'm running 35" BFG km2 on 15x8 eagle 589 wheels. The motor is stock so it passes smog in California but it has fairly low miles.
it still sits in the garage for now. I only need to do a couple more things to get it drivable. I will be doing bumpers and a rack soon. sorry but i only have a couple of pictures for now. the pictures are a little old but I will take some more and post them soon.

3k13o43l75T45Q05X4a6ge5adf7f1bc191c1c.jpg

003.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Not the best but here are some newer pictures
100_0091.jpg

100_0090.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0093.jpg

I still need to do the in side and put the front clip back on. and maybe some paint.

Ghostyman

Observer
Nice Sami! I'm always happy to see a few more of these things on the forum. Are you planning sleeping in it or taking a tent?

unionmine

It been a project but aren't they all. I would like to get it out of the garage and start using it. when i have some free time and space I'm planing on making a trailer out of the old soft top body. I Was thinking about using the back to make a small trailer to hall gear. But i also have a extra front clip that would make a cool little trailer to I thought about making it so the grill would be facing rearward that way you could use the old headlight to help set up camp or for some great backup lights. No mater which way I go I would like to get a roof top tent for the trailer. Lots of plans no time.

Last edited:

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Nice!

What are your plans? How are you going to use it?

Keep the pics flowing - I'm getting ready to leap into another Zuk build myself.

Cheers,
Mark

unionmine

My plans are to use it to do some exploration of the sierra Nevada's
And maybe a trip or two on the Rubicon and the back side of Hell Hole. As for sleeping in the sami its not going to happen I will have a tent to sleep. Ive slept in small cars before Never again.

Dowry

Observer
Nice looking running gear there. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but you may want to check whether your tailpipe is bumped by the left rear shackle on compression.

D

unionmine

Nice looking running gear there. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but you may want to check whether your tailpipe is bumped by the left rear shackle on compression.

D
Yea it hits a little Its on the to do list Every time I work on it that list gets longer.

VegasDesertRat

no sleep inside for me either

April Pre run 2010 040.jpgApril Pre run 2010 038.jpg
My plans are to use it to do some exploration of the sierra Nevada's
And maybe a trip or two on the Rubicon and the back side of Hell Hole. As for sleeping in the sami its not going to happen I will have a tent to sleep. Ive slept in small cars before Never again.

grimbo

Explorer
For the hardtop, bottom hinge the back door (also fill the back window and make it smooth panelled) and make a fold down set of legs so you have a nice long platform, then look at making a custom tent that attaches to the roof, down the sides and runs along the edge of now folded door. Perhaps it could have an elasticized edge that stretches over the folded down door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998