Sand Dune Hiking - Any tips?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Im not a hiker.. i hike every once in a while and it's for a short distance.

Well, that being said.. we are going to be heading out to Kelso Dunes on our trip in a few days and i want to hike to the top of the highest point. Supposedly they are 600 feet tall and the 2nd tallest in the USA. From what i read it takes the 'average' person approx 2 hours to climb it.

Anything i should think about before starting this? Any strategy on how to not burn out your calves walking up hill in sand?

thanks guys!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
No special technique. I would stick to the ridges and avoid steep bowls even if it seems like the shortest distance between two points unless you want a really good workout.

I love the Eureka Dunes. I usualy time my hike to watch the sunset and take a few cold ones and a cigar and enjoy the evening.

Have fun.

Scott Brady

Founder
Use a wide shoe, with minimal tread. Hike at the earliest point of the morning, when the sand is coolest and affords the greatest support.

Find a ridge line to climb up and always favor the windward face...

Good luck :)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Try and stretch your caves before you start out. Be conscious of walking on your toes - try a more flat footed approach.

That is a deceptive and easy looking hike, the sand ridge trail is a bit to the right as you climb to the top.

...and don't forget plenty of H20 and a couple of breather breaks ;)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Hope you have a chance to visit the Kelso Train Station - it's filled with history and a pretty cool place to check out. ;)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Desertdude said:
Hope you have a chance to visit the Kelso Train Station - it's filled with history and a pretty cool place to check out. ;)

We hit that up last year. We are stopping off again to show people that haven't seen it. It's a great place you're right about that. Neat that they restored the entire place.

I'll be resting while at the train station after the hike most likely :drool:

Here's a list of the places we plan to see. Some we have visited before.

Calico Mule Canyon
Amboy Crater
Amboy
Early Man Site
Desert Megaphone
Kelso Dunes
Hole In Rock Camp
Kelso Train Station
Mojave Road Lava Tubes
Rainy Day Mine Camp

Forum statistics

Threads