Sankey trailer appeal

overlander

Expedition Leader
I was just looking over some pics of a Sankey, and trying to figure out why Rover enthusiasts (like myself) find them so desireable over other kinds? Obviously they are a good off road utility trailer being ex MOD, but what is unique about them? I'm assuming it's one or several of the following possible characteristics, but those are again just assumptions. Can anyone confirm who has experience with them?

1. They share parts with Defenders
  2. They are the exact width as a Defender
  3. They have a tailgate, unlike the US military ex-surplus trailers
  4. Factor "X"

telwyn

Adventurer
great question

Great question - I'm honestly not sure. I coveted a Sankey for a long time after getting my Lightweight. Finally concluded it was too hard and expensive to source one in the U.S. and bought an m416 2 years ago. Haven't thought twice about a Sankey since getting the American trailer - I love it.

I think those of us that bleed green have somehow all drunk the kool-aid and have blended the Land Rove marquee and the Sankey... Curious to hear others' thoughts as well.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
They have hydraulic brakes, utilize the interior space better, have stabilizing legs and have a higher payload rating. If you're pulling it with a Rover then the lug pattern and wheels are the same, no need to modify the pattern or carry a seperate spare.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
The older models have a surge brake, non-hydraulic. At least mine did until I got rid of the axle and went to a standard trailer hub with electric brakes and independent suspension.

But I love the sankey for the tub and tailgate. It is all easily modified and as you said, matches the Defender which makes it great offroad.

The trailers can be had for $850 in Canada. Just check with your DMV on registering it.

RLD

Observer
Sankey

Hi i am new i live in the uk i have 3 sankey trailers and use them of road but i have one that as had a new complete new body made of ally i will try to put some photos last week end we that id the boys from the Defender 2 .com site when down into Wales and did some off road driving with the trailers on quite unusual in the UKwill see what i can do with the photos:)

Yorker

Adventurer
there are Wide Track and Narrow Track Sankeys. Wide Track are pretty common here now- the very latest Wolf ones have disc brakes but all I've seen here in the USA have had drum brakes. They have a tailgate(thus can't float), are rated 3/4 ton, use LR bolt pattern for wheels, have surge brakes and offer more room within them than your typical US M416 or earlier 1/4t trailer. The eye on them does not rotate so you must have a pintle hook that does rotate. The track width is meant to be wider like a coiler or 101.

Sankey 3/4t manual:
http://landroveroneten.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sankey_trailer_manual.pdf

Here are some pics of some a friend of mine had:

WideTrackSankeywithRem700PSS.jpg
Reminton PSS is for scale the barrel is 26"

WideTrackSankeynorotate.jpg

WideTrackSankey7.jpg

WideTrackSankey6.jpg

WideTrackSankey5.jpg

WideTrackSankey4.jpg

WideTrackSankey3.jpg

WideTrackSankey2.jpg

WideTrackSankey.jpg

Narrow track sankeys usually didn't have a tailgate- they could be floated. they were matched to the track width of series trucks. There are some pics of one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sankey-Trailer,-Narrow-Track_W0QQitemZ260488468014QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091009?IMSfp=TL091009145002r25768

All in all they are nice trailers, they offer more room and more weight capacity than a 416, but parts can be difficult to source. I prefer the 416's but that is just me.

I think the wide tracks specs are :
Widetrack weighs 509kg unladen (1120lbs)
Max laden weight is 1190kg (2620lbs)
Capacity is 0.75 tonnes (0.67 tons)

vs. M416:

WEIGHTS EMPTY CROSSCOUNTRY HIGHWAY
PAYLOAD -- 500 750
TOTAL 570 1070 1320

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
I guess the case has been made. Those surge brakes would be nice for heavy loads. The non-rotating pintle would have to be solved for. I have a combo ball/pintle hitch in my receiver. would need to replace with a rotating pintle somewhere. Good references here for those interested. Thanks everyone.

Yorker

Adventurer
I guess the case has been made. Those surge brakes would be nice for heavy loads. The non-rotating pintle would have to be solved for. I have a combo ball/pintle hitch in my receiver. would need to replace with a rotating pintle somewhere. Good references here for those interested. Thanks everyone.

You should be able to find a rotating pintle pretty easily. I got one on Ebay for $25 a couple yeas ago from someone who was demilitarizing their lightweight.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I have a 70's Sankey 3/4 ton narrow track that I bought off ebay uk for $81.
Its been sitting in Liverpool @ a shipping co that was loading a 40ft container for us. Just got notified today that its not going to fit in the container. I'm agonizing over letting it go since I don't have anything invested or have someone go pick it up and store it untill I fugure out alternative shipping.
I'm bummed. BTW Dixon Bate makes a hitch pintle hitch that spins so the trailer part doesn't need to.

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
As said, you can pick up the rotating pintle if you are patient. I believe new, they are around $400 stateside.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I sourced mine through SafariRover down in FL. Crazy George may be able to get them as well.

I also added a two inch receiver on the trailer side to address interchanging hitches and security (i.e. removing a hitch and placing a lock through the pin hole).

Don't mind the safety chain placement as that was for a maiden voyage post rebuild/conversion. I have since added true chain tabs on the trailer frame.

Attachments

• Pintle.JPG
    Pintle.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 160

Red90

Adventurer
For off road use, the surge brakes are invaluable. Non braked or electric braked trailers are dangerous off road.

Snagger

Explorer
My 1962 Sankey 3/4Ton (Ex Royal Marines) looks similar to Yorker's, but has no tailgate (so can be floated) and has the standard rotating hitching eye (the NATO hitch on my 109 also rotates, but is locked vertical with the locking pin). The brakes are drum brakes, mechanically operated. The hand brake operates the same brake mechanism as the over-run system in the towing hitch and has holes in the ratchet quadrant for a padlock (to prevent theives towing it away). The width matches the Airportable (Lightweight) LR.

Other models had tailgates or special tops. many had a small circular opening in the rear panel with a sliding cover - this was for use with lager water tanks to act as a bowser.

Late 1-Ton models are not actually made by Samkey, though they are still referred to as such. They are as wide as standard Series or Defenders. The latest models have hydraulic brakes and no longer use leaf sprung suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman