Sankey trailer appeal

benlittle

Adventurer
I really have no clue why someone would want to tow a trailer. Someone please educate me because I just don't get it.

seashore

Observer
why not?

oct_09.jpg

:snorkel:

next time I'll remember to fit the wading plugs...

benlittle

Adventurer
why not?

oct_09.jpg

:snorkel:

next time I'll remember to fit the wading plugs...

That pic really just supports my thoughts. That looks like it would suck.

This goes hand in hand with a conversation I was having with a buddy the other day at REI. We were discussing backpacks, I was saying I need a smaller pack - my dana design pack is about 6000 cubic in and I always fill that bastard to the top. Why? Because I have the space and I've bought more gear than I need because I have the space. If you're towing a trailer, you'll fill that bastard up. Why? Because you have the space. Not to mention the added stress towing a trailer would put on a rover. These trucks have a hard enough time slogging themselves around ;)

Unless one is on a multi week expedition style, (not camping in the backcountry of VA), I don't get it.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Actually, the good doctor WAS on a week plus trip. From NC, to VT and back.

And he had his load spread evenly across his DI and sankey. In fact, I dare say the DI shed a bunch if weight from the roof and *** in its' previous form, which made it much easier to wheel some very hard obstacles.

I don't think anyone would take a sankey for a weekend wheeling unless needed. Wouldn't that go without saying?

Snagger

Explorer
I really have no clue why someone would want to tow a trailer. Someone please educate me because I just don't get it.

For the sort of trips I'm likley to do, I'll just use the roof rack. My Sankey is used for trips to the dump and for collecting (and storing) parts like axles, gear boxes and so on. It's an excellent trailer.

I can see why some like trailers on expeditions - if you're going to be lading the vehicle with several occupants, a trailer is better for weight distribution than a roof rack. Further more, if you plan on stopping for a day or two but driving around the local area during the days, a trailer means you can leave most of your exped kit at a base camp and drive a lighter, nimbler and less top-heavy vehicle without being restriced in how much you take. Fitting a roof top tent to the trailer rather than the vehicle is also a lot less of a drag penalty. They have their uses - it all depends on the sort of trip and terrain you're covering.

cboy903

I just finished building mine, going to try it out this weekend.

main.php

main.php

It'll be good for basecamping at rallies, don't have to set up a tent, don't have to unload the truck. Just get to your destination, unhook and start wheeling.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Unless one is on a multi week expedition style, (not camping in the backcountry of VA), I don't get it.

I think you did get it for many people who have off road trailers, "multi week expedition style". To that I'll add the other group, big families that fill up a truck with people leaving little room for gear.

You always want to keep the vehicle centre of gravity as low as practical. A trailer is a way to take gear off the roof rack and the top layer or three out of the pile in the back of the truck.

Personally I am thinking about a trailer for a few reasons.

1. I still use film and I have a home film developer that fits into a large suitcase (ATL1000). I would love to be able to develop the day's sheets of film that evening. There's nothing like getting home and discovering you should have exposed the film a half stop more or that you missed a piece of crud on the lens. I think it would be fun to set up a film developing lab in an off road trailer.

2. My truck only holds 42 gallons of fuel in its tanks and my built in water tank is 15 gallons. I have to come into a town about once a week for fuel, water and food. A trailer would allow me to carry some fuel and water cans and a second refrigerator for use as a freezer (How cool would a helping of Rocky Road be when you have been out in the desert for a week). A trailer would allow me to stay out longer than a week without having to make a trip in just to restock and go back out.

3. My Truck is a Dormobile so the rear interior of my truck likes to stay clean and unscratched. a trailer will allow me to carry the stuff you normally toss into the back of a pickup around home.

I gather from your postings that you are a minimalist camper. I used to camp that way when I was in my teens camping with my Dad on father daughter fishing trips, and into my twenties when I was just taking my dog to see what was over the next hill. But those were weekend or long weekend trips and when the trip was done I was always happy to get home.

One thing I discovered about myself over time is that I can put up with just about anything for a short period but the more comfortable I am, the longer I want to stay out on a trip. To me a successful trip is when you are out and the desire to see what's around the next bend is stronger than your desire for the comforts of civilization. When a motel room and restaurant seem more appealing than another night on the trail its time to call it a trip.

My truck is set up to be as comfy and home like as possible. Comefy enough that I consider a month trip to be a normal trip length and come in because of obligations rather than because I miss the comforts of home. So far the longest I've been out is 3 months and I finally came in because I got tired of sub freezing mornings. A small trailer would allow me to stay out longer, take the gear off the roof rack and allow me to carry gear for different seasons.

Its all a matter of perspective. I think trailer would be a good idea for some but nowhere near all the places I travel. But I consider a week long outing to be a short trip, a month long trip to be normal and two months & longer to be the special trips. To me a weekender with a trailer would only be worth the effort if I'm bringing along spouse plus a gaggle of kids.

seashore

Observer
Well stated, Teri-Ann. I'll add a few thoughts, as one who often camps en famille with my wife and 2 boys.

The added space with a full truck (of people) approaches critical if I want them to come on the next trip (there is a whole 'nother discussion hidden there, but I want my family to WANT to come on the next trip).

I have found wheeling with a sensibly-laden trailer actually improves the handling overall compared with a stuffed-to-the-gills disco wearing a laden roof rack (note my rack is gone). The added tongue weight balances the vehicle nicely, and other than hill starts (disco is a 5 speed) it is largely un-noticable behind me. I was tugged once and winched once over the course of 4 days of "trail" terrain on this portion of the trip covering over 300 miles.

DM trumped me, but this was a multi-week trip that included my family for the first part, and me alone for the latter half. The added gear (superfluous, many would say) such as a 10x10 pop up canopy were nice to have when faced with 3 days of rain. Helps to keep that "what's around the next bend" mentality when you can sit out and stay dry after a day of trekking. And the dry, camp-anywhere ability of the trailer tent was really nice with all the rain.

So, not for everyone, but for me an excellent choice for longer trips. We still use the LL Bean family tent for stay-put trips but the ability to do longer point to point trips is really nice.

Great idea with removing the tub on yours, cboy903-I'll be interested to hear how it works out on the maiden voyage!

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I have a 70's Sankey 3/4 ton narrow track that I bought off ebay uk for $81.
Its been sitting in Liverpool @ a shipping co that was loading a 40ft container for us. Just got notified today that its not going to fit in the container. I'm agonizing over letting it go since I don't have anything invested or have someone go pick it up and store it untill I fugure out alternative shipping.
I'm bummed. BTW Dixon Bate makes a hitch pintle hitch that spins so the trailer part doesn't need to.

They got the trailer to fit in the container after all. I'm psyched !

Having had a 110 with full length roof rack as my primary truck for the last couple of years I would far rather pull a trailer than have the weight on the roof.

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
I have an M416. I built it from a Tub, Added a tail gate and a water tank. I built the frame and axle to be the same track width as a Rover and use the same wheel bolt pattern (shares wheel beairngs and seals!)

We have an Eezi-Awn mounted to it for the Kids, The adults sleep upstairs in the Tent on the truck and the 250 pounds of dogs sleep in the truck.

If just the adults go we have plenty of space even if we bring the dogs. If we choose to take one of the other vehicles the trailer can be hooked up.

Attachments

• Hahns peak.JPG
    Hahns peak.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 137

overlander

Expedition Leader
I have an M416. I built it from a Tub, Added a tail gate and a water tank. I built the frame and axle to be the same track width as a Rover and use the same wheel bolt pattern (shares wheel beairngs and seals!)

We have an Eezi-Awn mounted to it for the Kids, The adults sleep upstairs in the Tent on the truck and the 250 pounds of dogs sleep in the truck.

If just the adults go we have plenty of space even if we bring the dogs. If we choose to take one of the other vehicles the trailer can be hooked up.

Ok Keith, that was just a cruel hearted picture to show while I'm stuck in Iraq. Below the belt, really. Can you send just one leaf of grass out here. Then this country would have 2 colors in it for a day or two. :littlefriend:

That 110 is in it's playground. You're pretty much doing everything I wish I was in it.

Last edited:

seashore

Observer

What's the saying? A picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like a nice way to spend the afternoon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger