Sasquatch Expedition Campers - Owners Thread

Corbet

Observer
4C6770F0-2C56-4E7C-A266-818F58EC8365.jpeg

Starting a thread for Sasquatch Expedition Campers (let’s use SEC moving forward) owners and/or folks interested in learning more about them. SEC is a new trailer builder based in Silverton Colorado. Currently offering 3 models all built of aluminum keeping total weight down. Link to website. https://www.sasquatchcampers.com/

I toured the manufacturing facility and met with the owners last spring. Was really impressed with the concepts and end package. Especially the weight. I definitely wanted one.

Corbet

Observer
Fast forward 6 months. As luck would have it I won a Sasquatch Smuggler in a raffle to benefit the Silverton Early Learning Center. Brought it home last week. I’m still getting acquainted with it and hope to break it in soon. I’m currently in the middle of a Wits End turbo install on my 80 series so it could take a few weeks or more between that, hunting season and the holidays. For now here are some pictures.

25B5E4E7-3756-4F18-A2C5-B93F935CF3BE.jpeg
48413D2C-5693-4721-8FA8-BC43232A9FDE.jpeg
D112518E-9513-43C9-A93C-F091FAAF07A2.jpeg

Corbet

Observer
And few more of the kitchen and other features

E5787E61-1B38-48FE-9DE9-971EB80B2883.jpeg
Rear kitchen design is similar to teardrop but with the fridge on a shelf with the door.

9A108A64-D7DC-4B89-9846-7BD45C126A47.jpeg
electronics are mounted inside the tongue box. DC/DC charger, 1000watt inverter, battery monitor, lots of breakers/fuses for protection. I’ll add solar soon

F7987F85-0390-4883-9444-2FF75677A583.jpeg
On demand hot water for the kitchen sink and shower, mounted inside the left hand smaller side box

3AD6E95B-3B23-4520-8FD1-5D1BCBED7E82.jpeg
right had side side boxes for storage

6F64E750-8908-400F-A0BF-DAE319FF96EC.jpeg
main cargo compartment. Interior LED lighting and usb chargers. 110ac outlet

B53BAC25-2508-4A57-BB1E-E2CFF4A268F7.jpeg
Rear main exterior switch panel. Immediately to the right of the kitchen.

Last edited:

Louisd75

Adventurer

The electrical looks like a clean install. One thing that does concern me is that it looks like there is nothing to stop the battery from moving athwartships should the straps loosen up due to vibration. It wouldn't be a big deal if it shifted to the driver's side (right side of picture) but you could potentially connect your positive and negative terminals with the strap should the battery shift to the passenger side and not be noticed. I recommend adding something to keep the battery from easily sliding as a backup. Even something like a piece of angle bonded to the floor on the outboard sides of the battery would help.

Hope you can get some camping in with what's left of the season! :)

Corbet

Observer
That is a valid observation. There are some rubber pads under the metal straps. I can’t shift the battery by hand but vibration on the trail could definitely add up. I’ll take a closer look and access solutions.

Louisd75

Adventurer
That is a valid observation. There are some rubber pads under the metal straps. I can’t shift the battery by hand but vibration on the trail could definitely add up. I’ll take a closer look and access solutions.

My concern mostly stems from what happens if the screws on the straps come loose? So long as everything is tight I don't think you have anything to worry about, but not seeing the full fastener situation makes me a little leery of the battery staying put should the screws come loose. They may have a threadlocker applied to the threads or a nylok nut backing them up, but from the picture it's difficult to tell if there are lock washers or anything to keep the screws from vibrating loose :)

Kremer5

Very interesting observation! The rubber pads were primarily for keeping the straps from wearing into the plastic case of the battery in addition to keeping it from shifting. The aluminum angle tab idea, or even rubber "feet" below the battery would further ensure the battery doesn't shift. I'd be happy to make you both to test out if needed.

Nyloks were used to secure the bottom bolts used on the straps.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Very interesting observation! The rubber pads were primarily for keeping the straps from wearing into the plastic case of the battery in addition to keeping it from shifting. The aluminum angle tab idea, or even rubber "feet" below the battery would further ensure the battery doesn't shift. I'd be happy to make you both to test out if needed.

Nyloks were used to secure the bottom bolts used on the straps.

You've made a good looking trailer :) In all likelihood, the battery straps will be fine but I'm also paranoid and have seen how things can get loose after a bit of washboard.

Corbet

Observer
Got my truck mobile again and flipped the trailer coupler 180° to eliminate the need for a 7 3/4" drop hitch. My truck on 37's sits higher than average. Not parked on completely level ground but I think the trailer is sitting level with the truck. I sold the 23Zero tent and moved my larger Eezi-Awn from the truck to the trailer.

Working on my punch list for the winter.

Right now it includes:
Solar panels and controller.
PVC Fishing Rod Storage tube.
Power supply for RTT and Awning lighting
Bike rack for the rear
Eezi-Awn shower inclosure for under RTT
Awning walls from 23Zero
Jerry Can Mounts - initial thought is on top of nose box.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.14.11 PM.png

Last edited:

Corbet

Observer
Thanks to Cyber Monday a 200w suitcase style solar panel has been sourced. As well as a solar controller. Wiring supplies were not on sale so I’ll source those later and write a post on the controller install at that time.

4CFE2F7A-94A5-4D0A-A5B0-7A97ED4660AC.jpeg30374BD3-8A2A-4E53-8385-41B18CC723D0.jpeg
BF6C703F-BA1E-4669-9B46-3E850E3A770A.jpeg

Corbet

Observer
Took a trip up to Silverton over the weekend. Sasquatch asked to put my trailer on display at the SkiJoring event. While it was there I had the stainless steel fold down prep table upgrade installed.

57766821-FAD5-4E8F-B231-13E554AF14DB.jpeg
Folded up for transport

365E92BA-637E-40E8-A53C-0FD754A81137.jpeg
Deployed

D804AB95-C541-4C9E-AA9B-2E1111D6933C.jpeg
on top of Molas Pass.

Corbet

Observer
Bike rack sourced. 1Up HD model. Nothing to add, everyone who owns bikes knows what it is. Only downside is that it will not fold into the full vertical storage position. It contacts the spare tire. If the Sasquatch receiver was 1-2” longer that issue would be resolved along with making installation easier. The rack contacts the spare but I can get the receiver locking pin in.

0FBD7B87-B311-4B56-9593-E8023FCB55D1.jpeg

C989CA36-7F44-460C-9FE4-BBA8C262CC1D.jpeg

B69A4787-5B76-4D73-86ED-789D44489E29.jpeg

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Santa Cruz (Hardtail) and a Yeti. Nice bikes bro. So clean and light. Oh ya nice trailer as well?

I have two bikes light bikes and a 60 pound off road wheel chair on my hanging on my old school Recon rack ( one up bought Recon) . Worried about bounce do to extra folcum point. My trailer has tons of tounge weight so hopefully it won't cause sway. Total weight with bikes and rack is 180lbs. Receiver hitch is pretty bomber

Corbet

Observer
Finally got out on a shake down trip to Moab. Primarily to MTB with my son. Super happy with the camper. At this point I’m working out organizational systems to keep everything tidy. We had a pretty big pile of gear in the main cargo hold. Kitchen worked good. Only issue we had was a ton of wind that could get captured in the kitchen and make cooking a challenge at times. The heat from the stove was greatly diminished in this condition. Where as with a standard portable stove you could simply reposition it on a table and use the wind screens to protect the flame. Fold down table was a very welcome addition. Cooking would have been harder without it as a prep surface. The 200w solar as way more than enough to keep the battery fully charged. Low temps kept the fridge at idle so not much of a test. 1Up rack works great. You can Access the kitchen with it on, but best to completely remove it in camp for cooking duties. The 23Zero awning does not cover the fridge very well when kitchen is open. A left side awning would be better for that. I’m starting to wish the shower was on the right side of the trailer, only time will tell. Haven’t used it yet. Well below freezing at home yet. I didn’t fill the water tank in the trailer to minimize my return trip tasks. Towing was super stable. Always looked very planted in my mirrors. I made no effort to load it in any special way with regard to weight distribution. Traveled at speeds up to 80 MPH.

15588466-4C6E-458F-B027-8F0464ECE5A4.jpeg
Kane Creek

BCCA2F95-0039-4DB3-8809-4DF637E54843.jpeg
Sand Flats Recreation Area

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger