Scepter Gas/Water can holder for roof rack?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Looks like they copied Adventure Trailers' design.....

canholder-1.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. Not only did they copy our design after buying a few holders from us, they are using our copyrighted pictures to boot! Attached is the original picture. I guess a phone call and some finger wagging is in order. Thanks for the heads up folks.

Attachments

• jeepmount6.jpg
    jeepmount6.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It's a real shame when a company does something like this.

The picture being used to advertise their "copy" is ours, but if you look at their product carefully you'll see that they have a hinge at the bottom of the strap.

So technically it makes it "different". But it also shows that they don't understand the engineering behind our can holder.

So now they have copied something, slightly changed it, and in the course of doing that made it inferior.

Well done OK Offroad. It's something we have come to expect from Chinese companies, but not from US based companies.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
Mario and Martyn, I can imagine this would be *very* frustrating for you. Insult to injury with your own photos, too.

For what it's worth, you might guess that a lot of your target customers are active on this forum. I expect that a lot of us will make it a point to chose AT when it comes time for can holders, and will make it a point to stay away from these guys.

Sorry -- hijack over... Back to this interesting thread.

Don

EricBirk

Adventurer
Mario and Martyn, I can imagine this would be *very* frustrating for you. Insult to injury with your own photos, too.

For what it's worth, you might guess that a lot of your target customers are active on this forum. I expect that a lot of us will make it a point to chose AT when it comes time for can holders, and will make it a point to stay away from these guys.

Sorry -- hijack over... Back to this interesting thread.

Don

100% agree. I would have gotten the AT holder but I needed one that could be removed from the base like the bajarack as it was going on my roof.
The people on this forum know who makes good stuff and supports people who use said stuff. In the end this cheap junk will probably fail when it is needed most which is rather unfortunate but you get what you pay for.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
The gall of okoffroad is amazing! To not only copy the design, but use a cheap photochop of AT's product photo puts them in the category of the lowest of the low.

Back on track to my original question, I'm still not finding any really attractive solutions out there. The BajaRack option sort of works, perhaps with modifications. I'm not a fan of their approach to fastening the cans down though - some sort of quick release latch would be much more convenient. Scepter cans don't fit in the ARB or EE products. The AT holders are great for mounting on a trailer, on a swingout behind a vehicle, bed of a pickup etc, but they can't be put in a low profile configuration for a roof rack application.

So, looks like there is an unfulfilled market need here for a Scepter gas/water can carrier for roof rack applications. Here's a description of my ideal product:

Compatible with Scepter 20L gas and water cans (accomodate the extra little spouts on the water can)
Ability to easily strip down to a low profile configuration when not in use
Quick release latching mechanism
Ability to lock the cans in the holder
Ability to mount on a variety of popular roof racks

Any clever product designers want to take this on?

I've carefully hoarded a nice collection of the unobtainable Scepter cans only to find I don't really have a good way to carry more than the two that are on my trailer. :(

EricBirk

Adventurer
The gall of okoffroad is amazing! To not only copy the design, but use a cheap photochop of AT's product photo puts them in the category of the lowest of the low.

Back on track to my original question, I'm still not finding any really attractive solutions out there. The BajaRack option sort of works, perhaps with modifications. I'm not a fan of their approach to fastening the cans down though - some sort of quick release latch would be much more convenient. Scepter cans don't fit in the ARB or EE products. The AT holders are great for mounting on a trailer, on a swingout behind a vehicle, bed of a pickup etc, but they can't be put in a low profile configuration for a roof rack application.

So, looks like there is an unfulfilled market need here for a Scepter gas/water can carrier for roof rack applications. Here's a description of my ideal product:

Compatible with Scepter 20L gas and water cans (accomodate the extra little spouts on the water can)

I've carefully hoarded a nice collection of the unobtainable Scepter cans only to find I don't really have a good way to carry more than the two that are on my trailer. :(

Why is it so important to have a quick release? I can have mine off in 10 seconds with the threaded rod AND I know it isnt coming off. Simple works and is strong. The Scepters done move around at all either.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I think a QR latch would be more convenient, and the wing nut becomes something else to lose. Most all the products that are compatible with the Wedco cans use a QR latch.

overlander

Expedition Leader

x2, I have 6 military scepters and would like a mount for my rack to carry one or two of them when needed. I really like the Front Runner and hannibal designs, just need scepter variant.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I ran into the same problem as the OP. I couldn't find anything to fit my needs or my price range. I've currently got 2 MWC and wanted to carry them on the roof. Here is what I came up with. It still needs a wall welded in between the cans so I can carry just one if need be, needs a latch of some sort and some paint. I left room inside of the frame to add adhesive weather stripping to keep the cans from getting beat up.

DSC08042.jpg

DSC08044.jpg

DSC08045.jpg

DSC08046.jpg

DSC08047.jpg

DSC08048.jpg

DSC08050.jpg

DSC08058.jpg

DSC08064.jpg

0716001639.jpg

0716001639a.jpg

It can be mounted vertical as well but I was planning on horizontal from the get go so I'll start with that. I'm hoping the MFC's are the same size. If so I may start looking for one now that I have a way of carrying it safely, I think.

Last edited:

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
The Hannibal double jerry can holder works well with Scepter cans. The Hannibal comes with a cross-piece that mounts over the lids of non-scepter gas cans. This cross-piece is to prevent people from opening the lids on the gas cans to steal gas, and does not otherwise provide a tighter fit. This cross-piece does not fit over Scepter cans. Here are a couple pictures:

Scepter Cans without Cross-Piece:

Double Jerry Can Holder.jpg

Cross-Piece that goes over other cans:

Jerry Can with Cross Piece.jpg

4x4mike

Adventurer
It looks very easy to make another piece that does fit over the water cans if you needed. Not like people are going to steal your water but more for additional containment.

My holder cost me all of $10. Angle frame was left over from a free day bed frame I got last year. Steel was $4, shearing $2 and hinges were $4. When I'm done I'm sure I'll have an additional $10 in spray paint and mounting hardware if I don't already have some.

adi

Adventurer
I purchased two of the FrontRunner holders without doing all my research.

They fit my Scepter water cans (ones from LCI), and I can fit my brand new Scepter gas cans in them, if they are empty, but its a tight fit. My older ex-military diesel Scepter cans do not fit at all, even when empty.

Their design is very very close, I'm thinking of taking it to a local fab shop, and see what can be done using their latches and mounting system (looking at Front Runner roof rack eventually as well).

But now that Hannibal has shown theirs working with Scepters, I might just go with them. Luckily with Scepters and a strap wrench, I can carry them in the interior with no leaking for now.

ETA: if you guys want I'll try and get some pics of me trying to get the Scepters to work on the Front Runner system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior