Scepter Gas/Water can holder for roof rack?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I'm glad Dan posted that. I happen to have a full length Hannibal rack, and now my decision on fuel mounts is resolved.

coax

Adventurer
Bit of a thread revival, but here was what I came up with for roof top mfc storage. Figured I'd pass it along.

harbor freight rack, some yakima adapters and good to go. Just recently put it together so haven't had a chance to field test it yet.

S0162848.JPG

DSCF2846.JPG

DSCF2851.JPG

DSCF2853.JPG

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I discovered another option for people looking for dual Scepter can holders suitable for mounting on a roof rack where the ability to be used in a low profile configuration is important. The Phoenix MCU, shown below, is a new product available from Mojave Off-Road.

26980484_nyg0.jpg

The top piece slides off the hinges to the side so you are left with just the tray mounted on your rook rack when you aren't carrying cans (just like the Engel fridge lid).

26980456.jpg

I picked one up at the Pomona Off-Road Expo a few weeks back, but have not yet had a chance to test it out. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try it out.

762X39

Explorer
Ok, Finally seen a dual can carrier I would buy (Phoenix MCU). Looks like I know what my trailer is getting 2 of.:coffee:

97tjguzzy

Explorer
I discovered another option for people looking for dual Scepter can holders suitable for mounting on a roof rack where the ability to be used in a low profile configuration is important. The Phoenix MCU, shown below, is a new product available from Mojave Off-Road.

26980484_nyg0.jpg

The top piece slides off the hinges to the side so you are left with just the tray mounted on your rook rack when you aren't carrying cans (just like the Engel fridge lid).

26980456.jpg

I picked one up at the Pomona Off-Road Expo a few weeks back, but have not yet had a chance to test it out. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try it out.

whats the price on those?

robert

Expedition Leader
If you link to the on-line store on the website you will see it is priced at $249.00.

:Wow1: Beautiful piece of gear but wow that's an expensive way to carry fuel.

I've sketched out a few designs and have pretty much decided on one that has a base with removable top strap assembly that covers the caps too. Honestly it shouldn't be that hard to build one.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah I prefer the one I have from Baja Rack which is a 3 piece design (base plate, top piece and bolt that holds the two together) that allows you to remove the upper part so it makes it an aerodynamic & low profile unit when not in use.

Plus it's only $99 http://www.bajarack.com/accesories-page
BR-FCH2-0.jpg

The design is also mod friendly as I was able to modify it to use with both a Garvin Wilderness Trails Rack and BVG rack.

Eventhough

Explorer
Yeah I prefer the one I have from Baja Rack which is a 3 piece design (base plate, top piece and bolt that holds the two together) that allows you to remove the upper part so it makes it an aerodynamic & low profile unit when not in use.

View attachment 75529

The design is also mod friendly as I was able to modify it to use with both a Garvin Wilderness Trails Rack and BVG rack.

I have a BajaRack dual can mount. I like it a lot. It is simple and easy to use.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer

View attachment 75529

I like the simplicity of it. Does it work with Scepters, including the older ones that seems to be a bit thicker in the middle?

thanks,
Herb

fourfa

Observer
I guess this doesn't fit the "over-engineered" theme of this board, but... I have a Yakima MegaWarrior on the roof, the width is just about right for three MFC/MWC flat on their sides. I do 4 MFCs and 2 MWCs in two rows, with the crossbar set for a tight fit lengthwise. A ratchet strap holds them in place to the rack, and a bike cable lock runs through the handles and under the rack to secure them. Pic:

20110627-144731-L.jpg

Pic shows 5, three in the front row and two in the back row. Laying flat reduces the wind drag a bit. I did have to add a rubber o-ring to the vent screw on the MWCs to make them totally leak-proof. No problem with the MFCs even in very hot sun. After the first time, it only takes a few seconds to loosen the strap, undo the cable lock, and get them out

Bobmog

Observer
MFC MWC rack

Here is mine, Baja Rack works great with Scepters.

Attachments

• DSC00699.jpg
    DSC00699.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00704.jpg
    DSC00704.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 60

Trillium

I run both Scepter fuel and water cans and also use the Phoenix MCU-1 carriers as they are designed specifically around the Scepter can. Perfect solution for me as they are very well made, visually, a beautiful product, and function as good as they look with the Scepter cans. The space between the two cans when in the carrier holds a computer laptop case with super siphon, fuel or water can wrench as needed and spare emergency Viton gaskets all locked in the holder. My understanding is that they are currently working on a new type of vertical can carrier. I'm waiting for the propane tank carrier.

http://i45.tinypic.com/111uyyg.jpg http://i50.tinypic.com/bgq9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan