Scorpion ATR's vs. cooper zeon LTZ's

Krisbarger

Observer
Is there anyone out there who has had experience with both of these tires? I am curious about tread life and performance in different situations and road noise is very important also!

These seem to be the only options out there for the LR4 19" rims. I would rather spend the money for compomotive 18" on something else like a winch or roof rack. Gonna need tires this year.

Thanks for comparing if you can, if not have any of you used either one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Jim Biram on this forum has had both, but runs the Coopers now. I personally ran the Coopers for about 40,000 miles and loved them. The silcone blend let them feel soft and grippy on the street, and they held up extremely well on the trail. Adequate side lug and decent tread pattern allowed them to perform very well offroad as well. I did use mine in some mud once, and they did okay, but never had them in snow or ice. They were very solid and secure in the rain on pavement though.

Coopers in action:

SCLR_Cleghorn_2007-05-XL.jpg

MojaveTrail-20090315-82-XL.jpg

Don't have experience with both but have just replaced Pirelli ATR's with Cooper Zeon Ltz's and am stoked!
Other options to look at are Wrangler Duratrac's and General Grabber AT's all available in 255/55R19.

Krisbarger

Observer
Don't have experience with both but have just replaced Pirelli ATR's with Cooper Zeon Ltz's and am stoked!
Other options to look at are Wrangler Duratrac's and General Grabber AT's all available in 255/55R19.

I'll look into the wranglers. I thought the goodyears were discontinued?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krisbarger

Observer
Jim Biram on this forum has had both, but runs the Coopers now. I personally ran the Coopers for about 40,000 miles and loved them. The silcone blend let them feel soft and grippy on the street, and they held up extremely well on the trail. Adequate side lug and decent tread pattern allowed them to perform very well offroad as well. I did use mine in some mud once, and they did okay, but never had them in snow or ice. They were very solid and secure in the rain on pavement though.

Coopers in action:

SCLR_Cleghorn_2007-05-XL.jpg

MojaveTrail-20090315-82-XL.jpg

Were the coopers loud? We're they bald at 40,000?

umbertob

Adventurer
In my experience (I went through 3 sets of 285/60R18s Coopers LTZs on my 2006 Sport before switching to Yoko Geolandar AT-S), they start out real quiet, but do get noticeably noisier after 10-15K miles. Nothing annoying, but it depends on your level of tolerance... You'll definitely hear the rumble at just about any speed by the time they are about 1/2 way worn. They can last 50K or more if you rotate them regularly, but after 40K miles or so they'll lose most of their bite off road, so realistically you should expect 40K "useful" miles out of a set.

Krisbarger

Observer
I think the coopers are the only option because the ATR's still seem a little too tame.

If people are getting 40,000-50,000 out of them that is pretty good for the off road ability of the tires.

Now... Where to buy? that is the next quest

LR Max

Local Oaf
Now... Where to buy? that is the next quest

Somewhere local that'll do balance & rotate for you for free. If you actually get that done every 5k or whatever, it adds up over 40k worth of driving!

Also I can't stand an out of balance tire. I'll take my DD in and have them balance a single tire if I feel it is off.

Krisbarger

Observer
About to buy tires now and we (my wife) are concerned about noise of the coopers. Will the scorpion ATR's be better on noise?

The limited choices with no middle of the road is tuff.

Any suggestions for a tire that will only spend 15% of its time off road?

Our wants have changed somewhat.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Were the coopers loud? We're they bald at 40,000?

Sorry Krisbarger, I did not see your question until just now. It's been a few years since I have owned the LR3, so I am not going to trust my memory. However, in my article posted specifically about LR3 tires, I noted the following (http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007/03/14/46/):

"I personally have used the 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and more recently the Cooper Zeon LTZ's in the same size. I like them both. The Nitto's are noticeably stiffer, and potentially offer more durability (10 plys), but the Coopers have better traction and better road handling and noise. I think the Coopers have softer construction, but more durable tread compounds, whereas the Nittos are softer rubber, but much stiffer belting and construction. On the road and on the trail, the Coopers are more pliant and softer. My Nitto's “chunked out” quite a bit, and needed to be replace after 30,000 miles. After 34,000 miles on the Coopers, they still look quite good, and have lots of life left in them. I'm very impressed with the Coopers, but you really can't go wrong with either tire IMHO."

In that paragraph, I posted a link to the same Mojave Trail/Soda Lake image that posted above. So that is at 34,000 miles. They look pretty good to me, and my comments at the time seems to suggest my satisfaction with them. In the comments to the thread, about 6 months later I further wrote:

"I am running Cooper Zeon LTZ's right now, as sort of a test. I like them so far. They are softer than the Nitto's, with slightly more knobbly vibration, but oddly, less road noise than the Nitto's."

Also, I just saw your post on my thread in LR3Tips blog....I think the Scorpion or maybe the Falken WildPeak that Scott Brady is experimenting with would be the best bet for a low noise, street oriented, off road capable tire.

Last edited:

Krisbarger

Observer
Sorry Krisbarger, I did not see your question until just now. It's been a few years since I have owned the LR3, so I am not going to trust my memory. However, in my article posted specifically about LR3 tires, I noted the following (http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007/03/14/46/):

"I personally have used the 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and more recently the Cooper Zeon LTZ’s in the same size. I like them both. The Nitto’s are noticeably stiffer, and potentially offer more durability (10 plys), but the Coopers have better traction and better road handling and noise. I think the Coopers have softer construction, but more durable tread compounds, whereas the Nittos are softer rubber, but much stiffer belting and construction. On the road and on the trail, the Coopers are more pliant and softer. My Nitto’s “chunked out” quite a bit, and needed to be replace after 30,000 miles. After 34,000 miles on the Coopers, they still look quite good, and have lots of life left in them. I’m very impressed with the Coopers, but you really can’t go wrong with either tire IMHO."

In that paragraph, I posted a link to the same Mojave Trail/Soda Lake image that posted above. So that is at 34,000 miles. They look pretty good to me, and my comments at the time seems to suggest my satisfaction with them. In the comments to the thread, about 6 months later I further wrote:

"I am running Cooper Zeon LTZ’s right now, as sort of a test. I like them so far. They are softer than the Nitto’s, with slightly more knobbly vibration, but oddly, less road noise than the Nitto’s."

Also, I just saw your post on my thread in LR3Tips blog....I think the Scorpion or maybe the Falken WildPeak that Scott Brady is experimenting with would be the best bet for a low noise, street oriented, off road capable tire.

I looked and was very excited about the falken. But I can't find that they are made in a 19" size :(

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I looked and was very excited about the falken. But I can't find that they are made in a 19" size :(

Yes, the 19" size is a significantly limiting factor. Might be stuck with the Michelin's or Pirelli's then.
Michelin 4×4 Synchrone 255/55/19
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/55/19

Krisbarger

Observer
Yes, the 19" size is a significantly limiting factor. Might be stuck with the Michelin's or Pirelli's then.
Michelin 4×4 Synchrone 255/55/19
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/55/19

So suffice to say the coopers are too noisy?

The ATR's are quiter?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So hard to answer. I had ZERO noise issues with my Coopers and when I sold them I had over 40,000 miles on them, but that was me. Maybe you are more akin to the minor road noise the tires produce. I never noticed any, because I started out from day one with the Nitto's, then went to the Coopers which seemed smoother. I am more sensitive to road feel than road noise. I have either a family full of talkers, or a thumping stereo going at all times, and often had the sunroof open too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998