Scout Camper

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I noticed on the total composites website recommendations against painting the exterior in dark colors because it could cause delamination from sun radiation. I assume a coat of line-x type bed liner spray would also cause delamination because it is applied heated?
You are correct. Any change in colour will increase the surface temperature. our statement should not be understood as a weakness of our specific panel construction. Every composite panel no matter if aluminum or frp skin , honeycomb or foam core has temperature limitations. It comes down to the manufacturers level of risk taking. Ours is pretty low as we believe in prevention and therefore being pro active Is the best way to prevent warranty cases. At the end, it’s up to you if you like to apply a colour. All we can do is to educate about the risk.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

I am referring to the application process when the bedliner spray comes out of the nozzle at 120 degrees and is applied to the surface. Disregarding the color, would the application process delaminate the panels?
Also, I assume you meant "our statement should *NOT* be understood as a weakness of our specific panel construction."??

Victorian

I am referring to the application process when the bedliner spray comes out of the nozzle at 120 degrees and is applied to the surface. Disregarding the color, would the application process delaminate the panels?
Also, I assume you meant "our statement should *NOT* be understood as a weakness of our specific panel construction."??
Lol yes of course. I just added the “not” ?
I don’t have any personal experience in applying bedliner. By the sounds of it, the surface will only be heated for a couple minutes. Are we talking 120c or 120f ?

Porkchopexpress

From the linex website:

"There are two separate materials that are precisely dispensed through a high pressure, plural component internal mixing polyurethane spray machine. They are each heated to 120-140 degrees with the temperature maintained through a heated hose. Using high pressure, the materials are mixed internally at a 1:1 ratio at the tip of the spray gun. As the material is applied it takes less than 5 seconds for it to harden. As soon as LINE-X lands on the surface it's dry!"

Because it is a US company and the units were not specified, I assume Fahrenheit.

svinyard

Some of the stuff EightySix brought up was interesting so I pinged Scout about it. Here is info that came back (within an hour...which is cool, including screenshots).

1- They have a Kenai already built, its going out for testing soon to the CEO & Ryan. The CEO gets way up into Northern Canada etc and puts the units through pretty rough conditions apparently. Delivery of ours will be in January sometime.

2- The roof/solar wiring: this is something they are already working on getting tighter and agree its an area of opportunity.

3- Sealant: the sealant isn't silicon but is a proper Manus-Bond 75 AM. They recommend checking the sealed areas of the camper twice a year at least. If water does get into the wall, it won't rot being composite.

4- Screws into walls: there are no wood screws or staples used in securing the cabinets to the camper (I didn't ask about wiring loom?). RTA style fasteners with metal strips in the walls allow the cabinets to be secured to the camper structure.

5- Marine flooring isn't secured to the floor but is on top of anti-slip material. This allows you to remove the flooring and shake out dirt/rocks etc. I didn't know this but having kids, I freaking love it. I noticed no slipping at all with this when using it myself...I assumed it was stapled or something.

So all in all, it sounds pretty solid. Its cool that this is the CEO's personal camper as well (he uses an Olympic) and that its definitely getting pushed a bit. Not just RV park camping in Cali. I'm stoked to hear its seemingly well built. That composite structure along with the high-end components is definitely a sweet setup. Again for us, nothing else even comes close simply because they don't legit sleep 4 people. Its in a market of its own.

Victorian

Some of the stuff EightySix brought up was interesting so I pinged Scout about it. Here is info that came back (within an hour...which is cool, including screenshots).

1- They have a Kenai already built, its going out for testing soon to the CEO & Ryan. The CEO gets way up into Northern Canada etc and puts the units through pretty rough conditions apparently. Delivery of ours will be in January sometime.

2- The roof/solar wiring: this is something they are already working on getting tighter and agree its an area of opportunity.

3- Sealant: the sealant isn't silicon but is a proper Manus-Bond 75 AM. They recommend checking the sealed areas of the camper twice a year at least. If water does get into the wall, it won't rot being composite.

4- Screws into walls: there are no wood screws or staples used in securing the cabinets to the camper (I didn't ask about wiring loom?). RTA style fasteners with metal strips in the walls allow the cabinets to be secured to the camper structure.

5- Marine flooring isn't secured to the floor but is on top of anti-slip material. This allows you to remove the flooring and shake out dirt/rocks etc. I didn't know this but having kids, I freaking love it. I noticed no slipping at all with this when using it myself...I assumed it was stapled or something.

So all in all, it sounds pretty solid. Its cool that this is the CEO's personal camper as well (he uses an Olympic) and that its definitely getting pushed a bit. Not just RV park camping in Cali. I'm stoked to hear its seemingly well built. That composite structure along with the high-end components is definitely a sweet setup. Again for us, nothing else even comes close simply because they don't legit sleep 4 people. Its in a market of its own.

This indeed sounds very promising! It's refreshing to see a company listening to it's customers.
Please allow me to comment on this note: " If water does get into the wall, it won't rot being composite." This is correct. as long as there are no organic materials (like wood) there won't be any rot. BUT, water can still accumulate inside the panel and mould can grow! There is also the chance that enclosed water will freeze--expand-- and therefore damage the wall. I have seen this many many times on high end expedition campers in Europe. It didn't matter if the foam core is closed cell or not. Water will find it's way in!
Best if the seams are resealed as recommended! Another trick I learned over the years: place a couple of 1/8 holes along the bottom edge to allow any moisture to drain if needed.

Please post pictures when you get yours!

svinyard

Perhaps the key is to trust the BC people for campers. :)

Question about composite mods:
1- can you attach L-Track strips to composite walls? My sister has a sprinter and those brackets are so versatile and functional. So many accessories. How is it done?
2- What's the general process for attaching something mildly heavy on a composite wall? Is its just a backer plate, washers, sealant and some bolts?
-These mule bags (or similar) from Adventure Wagon (Portand, OR) would be sweet on a TC or Scout camper!

Victorian

Best way to attached L track would be with a baseplate to disburse the weight/stress. The baseplate should be glued. The Track can then be screwed to the plate.

Cheers,

Chorky

Observer
This indeed sounds very promising! It's refreshing to see a company listening to it's customers.
Please allow me to comment on this note: " If water does get into the wall, it won't rot being composite." This is correct. as long as there are no organic materials (like wood) there won't be any rot. BUT, water can still accumulate inside the panel and mould can grow! There is also the chance that enclosed water will freeze--expand-- and therefore damage the wall. I have seen this many many times on high end expedition campers in Europe. It didn't matter if the foam core is closed cell or not. Water will find it's way in!
Best if the seams are resealed as recommended! Another trick I learned over the years: place a couple of 1/8 holes along the bottom edge to allow any moisture to drain if needed.

Please post pictures when you get yours!

maybe the best would be to be pre-emptive and seal all the potential leak areas upon delivery using dicore. Since that stuff is pretty awesome in itself.

svinyard

I assume this is base plate that would mount outside of the camper on the wall right? It would be glued into place and then I would bolt/screw the L-track through the wall and into that base plate? Or are you saying I just glue the base plate to the wall and then bolt the L-Track directly to it? Just gluing it to the wall seems like it wouldn't hold much weight right? (thank you for the advice btw)

Best way to attached L track would be with a baseplate to disburse the weight/stress. The baseplate should be glued. The Track can then be screwed to the plate.

Cheers,

svinyard

The MaxxFan dome fan on the Kenai is decent for the small space and pulls an Amp. I like the Fantastic Fan and they move a ton of air, but they pull a lot of amps at higher speeds.

With the windows and Maxx its been good. The sweet addition we made was a boat fan from Caframo. Its the Sirroco II and its WAY more efficient and I can have it blowing which ever direction. Godsend when sleeping in the heat as I can run in on low (on timer) and it's a nice breeze blowing across the bed. I think it pulls .1 Amps on low and .3 on high.

Has anyone added a Fantastic Fan or similar to their Scouts?

TacomaJack09

Observer
Is the MaxxFan an option you chose for the Kenai? I don’t think I saw it as an option for the Olympic and Yoho..

The Caframo looks like a great addition!

svinyard

Kenai just comes with the little circular dome fan over the sink/stove (nice for bacon!). It moves like 300CFM and that's enough to vent all the air in the Kenai's small space. The Caframo fan is where its at because of the gimble and ultra low power usage. The fridge pulls 3.5amps off an on, the Dome fan pulls 1amp and the Caframo pulls .1 to .3. If you are on a longer trip and not getting a ton of solar, you'll definitely appreciate the Caframo's low power draw (and timer). Its what the sail boat guys use and its rated to constant use. Ours is bolted to the passenger side metal racks and wired into the fireplaces 12v line. Easy run. Its one of my favorite parts of our custom setup (aside from the Airhead toilet). I sleep hot and even on a 100d day in eastern oregon, I could kind of sleep with the fan going on low-medium (and the temp dropping). A big dome fan wouldn't be nearly as nice and it'd kill the battery. My sisters 200k$ sprinter van has two fantastic fans in it and two batteries...the fans are constantly killing the battery lol. Its all about the Caframo stuff.

Is the MaxxFan an option you chose for the Kenai? I don’t think I saw it as an option for the Olympic and Yoho..

The Caframo looks like a great addition!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior