seanpistol's 01 Tundra

River19

Observer
For what it is worth here are my $0.02, maybe worth $0.01......

I've run Terra Grapplers on my F250 and they were by far the worst tires I have ever had in snow.....turned me into an 8000lb sled....swapped to Duratracs and loved them.....great in snow, towed loads well, handled mud season pretty well. Would love another set of these.

I have Trail Grapplers on my 2014 Ram 2500 and so far I like them.....but that is mostly a tow pig and I have yet to drive it in snow (got it in May).....wear is a problem for me with these though, they have 20K on them and maybe have another 10K-15K on them.

My Tundra has run everything under the sun over the past 15 years.......I currently run General Grappler AT2s and I've very impressed with these tires (same as the Expedition Overland guys are running all over the place).....good in snow (would be better with studs) and wear like iron.

My buddy is running Coopers and so far through one winter and mud season on a diesel F250 he says "they're ok"......not awesome but OK.......I have to find out the model he went with....but wear has been pretty quick on the full sized rig with some towing a light contractor trailer.

seanpistol

Explorer
Got the 315/75r16, load range E, 3-ply sidewall Duratracs on about a week and a half ago. They have made it very apparent that those MTR's I was running were out of round, unevenly worn, and overall trashed. My cupholder doesn't rattle anymore, there is no longer a constant hum and vibration from the road, the passenger side door panel doesn't rattle, my steering shimmy is gone... haha, driving to work on the highway feels like I'm driving a Subaru!

Went fishing this afternoon and took a couple photos of my truck lurking on the bank across the creek.

seanpistol

Explorer
My Camburg coilovers are for sale as I have ADD just picked up a pair of Fox 16" coilovers with reservoirs.

Camburg branded coilovers made by Sway-A-Way.

Currently have 14" 700 lb blue KING springs on them, which was the ticket for the weight of a front bumper and winch after much experimentation. I have about 2" of lift with the current setting, but they are adjustable between 0-2.5".

I also have a pair of red 13" 650 lb Camburg/SAW/Eibach springs that go with them. They provide the 0-2.5" of lift on a truck without the weight of a bumper and winch.

$700 for the coilovers, shipped CONUS.

Also, my Tepui Kukenam and bedrack are for sale. Going with another brand and model tent, and going to make another bedrack to sit lower, and move the spare tire to a swing out. Won't ship them the tent or bedrack.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Interested to see how you like the FOX's compared to the Camburgs. Whats your spring rate on the 16"s? Truck looks great as always. Interested to see the new RTT/Spare Tire setup.

seanpistol

Explorer
The 16" 650 lb coils have 8.1" of coil travel. They can be preloaded 2.7" (which is a ton) before coil bind and with 5.39" of shock shaft travel for the extended length, they are capable of a full 10" of wheel travel. I should be able to run the 650 lb coils with the added weight of the bumper and winch by increasing preload and using the DSC adjusters to adjust the valving with a twist of a dial... stiffen the coils, soften the valving. Eibach has a 16" 700 lb coil with 7.97" of coil travel if I need to go that route, but I'm going to experiment with the 650 lb coils first. These are the only coilovers made for our trucks that can produce these numbers with the stock lower A-arms. These Fox's are in a class all by themselves. :sombrero:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
The 16" 650 lb coils have 8.1" of coil travel. They can be preloaded 2.7" (which is a ton) before coil bind and with 5.39" of shock shaft travel for the extended length, they are capable of a full 10" of wheel travel. I should be able to run the 650 lb coils with the added weight of the bumper and winch by increasing preload and using the DSC adjusters to adjust the valving with a twist of a dial... stiffen the coils, soften the valving. Eibach has a 16" 700 lb coil with 7.9" of coil travel if I need to go that route, but I'm going to experiment with the 650 lb coils first. These are the only coilovers made for our trucks that can produce these numbers with the stock lower A-arms. These Fox's are in a class all by themselves. :sombrero:

s-l1600.jpg

These look familiar. Still not sure how your going to like the 650's though. I'm in conversation with Fox as we speak about the options for swapping mine out. I run my DSC almost full-stiff (1 click away) and it's still too soft and I dont have a bumper and a winch. Flex is deadly though.... Also interested to see where you mount the resi's. I'm guessing a custom bracket will be in order.

seanpistol

Explorer
I just read through your thread to find info on your install and see your problem with the 650 lb coils... I'm going to send you a PM and ask you to take some measurements so we can figure this out!

rickashay

Explorer
I just read through your thread to find info on your install and see your problem with the 650 lb coils... I'm going to send you a PM and ask you to take some measurements so we can figure this out!

Text me... it will be faster! I'll PM you my number if you don't have it anymore.

seanpistol

Explorer
Seems that the threaded body coilovers like to smash brake lines at full lock and slight compression. This is because the full diameter of the coil comes much further down than the stock shock does. I switched to a banjo bolt and upgraded to a stainless braided line in the process. It is now further out of the way, but worst case scenario is it's better to hit a bolt than to hit a brake line that I can bend with my hand.

Here's how my hard lines looked at one time. Notice how far the line comes out out the caliper-

Driver's side aftermath was not safe. The passenger side was smushed in, but not as bad-

Passenger side up top, driver middle, brand new on the bottom for comparison-

You can order the Wheelers stainless lines for a first-gen Tacoma, but the Tacoma banjo bolt needs to be modified to work with our calipers. Just pick up a 10x1.0 banjo bolt from Napa and no modifications are necessary. I didn't have time to wait and knew what I wanted, so I had these made at a local shop. I made them 25" long. Female on one end that accepts 10x1.0, and 10mm banjo on the other end-

Upgraded-

[/QUOTE]

New Fox coilovers use a 16" coil. I switched it to a 700 lb spring rate. These are capable of a full 10" of travel while able to lift the truck more with less preload than any other coilover available that uses the stock lower arms. The valving is adjustable with the twist of a dial on the end of the remote reservoir.

For some reason, Fox suggests mounting the resi's in a place that tires larger than stock will rub on. To avoid rubbing the 35's on the resi line, I hacked off the included bracket and welded it as far under the frame as possible. To get the resi line to hug the frame as tightly as possible, I simply rotated it inwards 1/4 turn before I clamped it down.

Full steering lock-

Looks just about level. I only have a 1" block in the rear and completely stock springs. It's insane how much these coilovers soak up huge speed bumps at 30 mph. The rear needs attention because it can't keep up.

Last edited:

utroda

Observer
:sombrero: Thats some good info to have about the break lines. Its a good thing you caught it before you started bombing down some trails.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Definitely some good info on the brake lines. I'm going to crawl under mine after work to see what they look like. Truck looks great as always.

tyv12

Adventurer
I've had trouble with those brake connections before too, this is brilliant I'll be swapping that shortly

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Coil overs look good. Those 700lbs springs look massive. The brake upgrade looks nice. Need to keep that in mind. It looks clean!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger